Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #61
lisaross
DIS Veteran

I've never heard of a delivery fee...

Anyway for a pie or anything for that matter about 20% give or take!

2006 - First Family Trip to Disney
2009 - Disney/Universal
2015 - PLANNING (on hold)

Our cast is me : my husband and the kids :and
lisaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #62
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafibisha View Post
We tip well too and now that I know people are 'marked' one way or the other, I'm glad we do! wouldn't want anything yucky done to our za!

I delivered pizza when I was 18 and going to college- also worked in the pizza place while I was not delivering pizza so chances are that I made your food I was going to deliver--I knew who tipped well and who didn't tip at all....BUT, I never ever did anything to anyones food, that is just gross--I certainly would put you to the bottom of the delivery pile but wouldn't mess with your food, though I am sure there are some that would at some places. I had one guy that ordered pizza every time he had a poker game on friday nights at his house and they would tip 20.00- boy did they get their delivery hot and sometimes I would throw in a free bottle of soda (out of my pocket of course!) just to keep them happy! It was 30 years ago and I can STILL remember that address LOL.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #63
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I live about 5-8 minutes from a couple of pizza places. I usually tip $5.00, no matter what I order.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #64
averysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy

this is SO totally false information. my son delivered for quite a few dif. palsces in Illinois. they always use their own car, their own gas. and no, they do NOT make minimum wage at all. (which in Illinois, is less than $10.25)

and not all of the delivery charge goes to the driver.

you don't tip, you better believe your pizza will be the last delivered.
Here, in manitoba canada, our minimum wage is 10.25 an hour. At the pizza shop where we order from, the delivery guys make minimum wage. They have to pay them the minimum wage because they are expected to help out on the shop when they are not making deliveries. The shop owns and operates the vehicles, and then keeps the 3.50 delivery fee to go towards running the vehicles.

averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #65
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
this is SO totally false information. my son delivered for quite a few dif. palsces in Illinois. they always use their own car, their own gas. and no, they do NOT make minimum wage at all. (which in Illinois, is less than $10.25)

and not all of the delivery charge goes to the driver.

you don't tip, you better believe your pizza will be the last delivered.
Before saying that someone is giving false information, you do realize that different towns (and countries) may be different than yours, right?
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #66
aml3679
Kita's Mom

We used to tip $5 but no one delivers in our area now.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #67
rharper1496
Mouseketeer

Anywhere from 15-20%, more if the weather is bad.

If someone is going to save me from having to pack the kids up (anywhere from 2-4 depending on the day), drive to the store, unload them all, get the pizza, reload them back in car seats and drive home then I'm willing to tip them well for it.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #68
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
Here, in manitoba canada, our minimum wage is 10.25 an hour. At the pizza shop where we order from, the delivery guys make minimum wage. They have to pay them the minimum wage because they are expected to help out on the shop when they are not making deliveries. The shop owns and operates the vehicles, and then keeps the 3.50 delivery fee to go towards running the vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
Before saying that someone is giving false information, you do realize that different towns (and countries) may be different than yours, right?

sheesh. we run into this discrepency all the time on tipping threads. while I personally know a few canadians on this board, I think the majority of posters are from the usa. and the tipping questions are generally about tipping practices in the usa.
I know that tipping is very dif. in canada as well as many other countries. (this is one reason visitors to the usa need to be educated on the way tipping works in this country. many are not cheap, just truly didn't realize there was a difference.)

ok, let me reword that: In the United States, it is not true that pizza delivery guys make minimum wage, or that they have use of a "company" car, with gas. and they don't get the whole delivery charge, if any. they are paid like waitresses, a small salary with the expectation that the customers are going to tip them.
and as wgqual said, as a waitress, I would never do anything gross to someone's food. but the no tippers or lousy tippers will get service AFTER the good customers. and when my son delivered food, he had the same outlook.

Last edited by smidgy; 03-05-2013 at 09:04 PM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #69
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
I admit it-usually nothing. The delivery drivers make minimum wage (10.25/hr) and they do not use their own cars to make the deliveries... The cars are owned, and gassed up by the shop. We are charged $3.50 for delivery, because of this. So no tip, unless the weather is really bad.
in my defense, you don't have it in your signature anywhere that you are from Canada.(until after my post) nor did you say "where I live.......the delivery drivers make minimum wage (10.25)"

the way it is posted makes it sound like this is true for all delivery drivers. just wanted to point out that this is NOT true (ie. false) for drivers in the United states.

it is also NOT true (ie. false) that they don't use their own car and gas.

I just don't want some people in the usa to tip poorly or not at all based on information that is not applicable to the hardworking delivery guys in their area.

Last edited by smidgy; 03-05-2013 at 09:05 PM.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #70
scoutie
DIS Veteran

We tip very well, and often times get many extras. I've also been told that our house get bumped to the top. We rarely have to wait much time for our pizza. In the Chicago area, the drivers drive their own cars and get less than minimum wage, and have to provide their own gas and insurance.

People who don't tip don't realize they are missing out on many perks.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #71
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I don't care what you tip, but I don't believe for a minute that anyone makes as much as a part time pizza delivery person as they do in a professional engineering job. I call nonsense on this one.
Just because you don't want to believe it, the location was in a college town. It was normal for the evening person to go to one dorm or complex with 10-15 deliveries and repeat this 3-4 times per night, then get some normal deliveries. They would be gone for 30 minutes and come back with $30-40 cash tips. That was before they got their hourly pay or the delivery fees. They got a delivery fee for EVERY one, not just the first one or two. So yes, this man did in fact make more there than he did as an engineer. I had two evening shifts there and they were a lot of fun, but was hired as daytime so my job sucked. (even more once I knew what the other drivers made!) Engineering jobs in the area would hire in the $35-40K range at that time.

I am not claiming that this is normal everywhere, but it is why I keep saying I consider things like how busy the place is in tipping.

ETA: I've noticed that in no subtle way, people are using what I said to say I am making it up and to say that I am making excuses not to tip. Your experience being different is not a reason to insult me. Yes, I do tip. I tip people well, but your experience is not the across the board correct answer any more than mine is. The difference is that I stated, up front, that my experience wasn't universal.

I like vacations.

Last edited by mistysue; 03-05-2013 at 12:59 PM.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #72
scoutie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just because you don't want to believe it, the location was in a college town
What college town? College kids aren't generally known for their fabulous tipping practices.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #73
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
What college town? College kids aren't generally known for their fabulous tipping practices.
No kidding they aren't know for being fabulous tippers. It was in East Lansing, Michigan. If you take 13 deliveries out and come back with $35, I wouldn't call that fabulous. Did you even read anything I wrote? Or are you just picking on me because it amuses you?

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #74
BBandDisney
Mouseketeer

Please add a tipping board to the Disboards. This is fun reading about all the ways people come up to cover up about being cheap.
BBandDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #75
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandDisney View Post
Please add a tipping board to the Disboards. This is fun reading about all the ways people come up to cover up about being cheap.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: