Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #31
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Nothing....cause I can't tell you the last time we had a pizza delivered. I'd much rather go get it myself when I know it will still be warm when we get it.
Yeah, I've never had a pizza delivered in my life. It wasn't really an option where I grew up, and dh is fanatic about the pizza needing to be hot enough to burn your mouth.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
No wonder the pizza delivery guys like us. I normally tip 20% - sounds like I tip way too much!

I tip 20% with a minimum of 5.00- so on 10.00 pizza day the delivery guy is getting a 50% tip!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #33
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

We don't have pizza delivered.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #34
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I typically tip 3.00 and there is a delivery fee also. I usually just order the 10.00 box whenever we do order. We make a pretty good pizza ourselves so it is only in a crunch that we order delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 1/9-1/15/15 Disney Wonder.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11)
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

We pick it up ourselves. However if we did want to have it delivered not too many places near us will any more. Those that do still deliver charge a delivery fee as well as require a min. order. With gas prices that is more of the norm today. So if I did have it delivered I would tip the driver for the service but the gas would not play any part in it as they are already charging extra for that.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #36
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
We pick it up ourselves. However if we did want to have it delivered not too many places near us will any more. Those that do still deliver charge a delivery fee as well as require a min. order. With gas prices that is more of the norm today. So if I did have it delivered I would tip the driver for the service but the gas would not play any part in it as they are already charging extra for that.
Find out about your specific area, but around here, the delivery fee either does not go to the driver at all or only a small percentage does.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #37
MacDalt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom
I admit it-usually nothing. The delivery drivers make minimum wage (10.25/hr) and they do not use their own cars to make the deliveries... The cars are owned, and gassed up by the shop. We are charged $3.50 for delivery, because of this. So no tip, unless the weather is really bad.
Wow, I don't know where you live, but around my area minimum wage is only $7 something, not $10.25. My son delivers for a national chain and when he delivers, his wage drops to $2 something just like the waitstaff. Tips are appreciated!

April 2000 October 2013 (Pop Century)
April 2002 Next: August 2014
April 2004
April 2006
April 2013
MacDalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #38
MacDalt
DIS Veteran

And he uses his own vehicle, paying for his own maintenance and gas.

April 2000 October 2013 (Pop Century)
April 2002 Next: August 2014
April 2004
April 2006
April 2013
MacDalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #39
LVTiffy
Mouseketeer

I am a pizza delivery driver for a national chain pizza company. At my locations (each location is different depending on how big their delivery area is) charges $2.50 to customers for each delivery. As a driver, I get paid $1.55 for one delivery. If I take two at a time, I receive $1.55 (for the 1st) and .55 for second. If i Take three runs at a time, I receive $1.55 (for the 1st) .55 (for the second) and nothing 00000 for the third and forth and so on. I have a huge delivery area. If I end up taking a triple I could have one 2 miles north and the other clear across the map. So if i get a stiff out of those three, basically i took one of the runs for FREE. Yes, we do remember you if you stiff especially if you stiff on occasion. I have been a driver for over 6 years. I'm not a fan of having to use my own vehicle. I get about 18 mpg which is horrible! The furthest point in my area is about 8 miles one way so basically a whole gallon ROUNDTRIP.

I am a day driver, i work 6 hours a day 10am-4pm. Throughout the week I will get anywhere between 3-10 runs an 6 hour shift, mostly in the lower numbers though.Weekends I could receive 6-20 runs, mostly in the early-mid numbers, on a 6 hr shift. I get paid minimum wage, $8.25 in Nevada. As a driver, i spend a majority of the time inside the store, prepping food, answering phones, making food, etc, etc etc...

I have to use my own car, pay for my own gas, brakes, tires, and anything that has to do with the car comes out of my wallet (besides the low reimbursement we are paid) Also I am putting high miles on my car. about 17-20000 a year. I am not some bum teenager. I am a 28 year old woman with college education (criminal justice degree) i Owe $9000 in student loans because i wanted to better myself and get a career but kinda hard when nothing is out there.

I will NEVER understand how someone can not tip their driver. It just doesn't make sense. I am one of the fastest drivers in my area and in the day time i will get your pizza fresh and hot withint 15-20 minutes AFTER you place your order. I am very friendly on the phone as well as at the door. I always make small talk and compliment you on your car, your dog, etc. and i am NEVER rude even if you are one of the many people who do not like to tip. I have not and will never ever do anything to anyones food, no matter how much I just dont want to deliver it. If i am on multiple deliveries, I pay just save yours for last. Thats the extent of my "revenge."

If you cannot "afford" to tip your driver, just pick up the pizzas yourselfs. Its not hard. Insiders do not expect tips, and they sure as hell dont use their cars to safetely bring you your food to the counter. For those who tip $5 no matter what, I praise you. You are the delivery the drivers want. If i know for a fact the customer will tip $5, I am very happy and i let the customer know that i am very happy and that i appeciate it. If its 2, or 3$ i also let the customer know that I appeciate the tip. If you are going to be ordering 10 pizzas or $100 order, tip more than 5$. I would be happy with a $10 tip on a $100 order even though its only 10%. However, if you order for a school and/or I have to walk a zillion miles or your impossible to find, please tip a little bit more than you usually tip.

I would also tip accordingly to how your driver is acting. If he is a total jerk or a sourpuss when you answer the door, tip him lower than normal. our job is customer service. No driver should react poorly because of a customer before their current customer who stiffed them. Thats my .2 from a very experienced delivery driver. :]
LVTiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #40
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

I tip 20% of the total, even if that includes the delivery fee. Big deal if it's a $3.50 fee, I'm tipping an extra $0.75. That's not going to cripple me financially.

I've seen the people that deliver and the cars they drive. I've never had a delivery person pull up in a Mercedes or BMW.

I'm amazed at the rationale people will use to justify being cheapskates.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #41
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminmd View Post
I tip 20% of the total, even if that includes the delivery fee. Big deal if it's a $3.50 fee, I'm tipping an extra $0.75. That's not going to cripple me financially.

I've seen the people that deliver and the cars they drive. I've never had a delivery person pull up in a Mercedes or BMW.

I'm amazed at the rationale people will use to justify being cheapskates.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #42
BBandDisney
Mouseketeer

The Budget Board is truly filled with scrooges, tightwads, and pikers.
BBandDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #43
shortbun
Peacenik

Big tipper here. My pizzas always come early, hot and exactly what I've ordered. My local Donatos is managed by a friend of my sons. He says the drivers fight over delivering for us because we're marked as good tippers. And to the guy who said the drivers get minimum wage so he doesn't tip, a challenge. Try living on minimum wage for 30 days.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #44
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I don't care what you tip, but I don't believe for a minute that anyone makes as much as a part time pizza delivery person as they do in a professional engineering job. I call nonsense on this one.
ditto - also known as trying to make an excuse into a valid reason
DH delivered pizza for a few months (our regular place really needed someone, and he decided the extra income couldn't hurt).
the job was tip-based, and he received about $1 from each delivery fee.
the most he made for 4-5 hours work was about $30-40 (and there were ppl who requested him - he is very sociable). the delivery ppl often would have to sit around, not making any money, just waiting for a delivery call during the week. what little money that came in was spent on gas (not counting "wear & tear" on car). a very few ppl tipped well (interestingly enough, lower income areas tended to tip better - high income were most likely to tip nothing....maybe being cheap is how they stay wealthy).
that "job" cost us money.
so yes, if we get a pizza delivery (rarely), minimum tip is $5+. we may love bargains, but not at the expense of someone who is opting to work at anything, rather than sitting around, depending on unemployment.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #45
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We usually tip $5 for any food delivery to the house. *I* treat it like a delivery fee and it's not based on the amount of the check. It averages out to 20% but sometimes it could be 40% and others closer to 15%. It's what we are willing to pay for someone to save us the time & trouble of going out and getting our lunch or dinner, especially when we are super tired or in crappy weather.
cluvsdisney is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: