Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

$5 minimum and then normal 20% if that represents more than $5. Kids party, friends or family over to watch game we'll get several pizzas, subs, salads, wings and it can get up to $100 on occasion. $5 on that wouldn't be acceptable to me.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
I admit it-usually nothing. The delivery drivers make minimum wage (10.25/hr) and they do not use their own cars to make the deliveries... The cars are owned, and gassed up by the shop. We are charged $3.50 for delivery, because of this. So no tip, unless the weather is really bad.
Wow, I think I would feel ok not tipping too in that situation. Around here they also make minimum wage, but that's around $7 and they have their own car/gas.

I know when I delivered pizzas I used my own car, my own gas, got $6/hour and got half of the delivery fee, then was expected to tip out the rest of the staff half of my tips. I worked a lunch shift in an area where I frequently went 5 miles away to deliver... we were slow enough that I actually lost money delivering if you added up the cost of the miles on my car. I would have 3-4 deliveries in my 5 hour shift. It was usually one pizza, so I probably averaged $2 per delivery. IME, people think you should tip less at lunch... as if somehow you do less work in the middle of the day than at the end?

After that experience, I tip more at lunch than I do at dinner time.

I also have this issue where I really don't feel like the pizza delivery guy should be making more than trained professionals. So if you are making $10/hour, I might give you $5 on a slow day if I am likely your only stop. If, on the other hand, I am one of 15 deliveries you make that hour, I might only give you a dollar or two. I find it crazy that the delivery guy would make $5 at 40 places in a 4 hour shift. Some people think it's nobody's business what they make, but I just feel like if one person goes through 5 years of training to make more money, why would you then hire a student to do a completely untrained service and pay them more than you make?

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

We usually tip about 10%, rounded up to the nearest dollar, and more if the weather is bad. It usually works out to around $3 per order, on top of the delivery charge.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

$5 minimum. More if it is a larger then normal order.

They do not get the whole delivery fee and they use their own cars around here (knew a few drivers personally). I also find that I get a lot better service since I am (too) well known by them!

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

No wonder the pizza delivery guys like us. I normally tip 20% - sounds like I tip way too much!

But as one of them told me - the delivery guys bump our house to the top. So that's a good thing for us. No cold pizza and a nice tip for them.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
yellowjacketfan
Mouseketeer

I rarely order since ds is my delivery guy... He works there since jobs are scarce around here, not because he makes good money. They make 7 ish when in the store, and under 4 per hour when on a delivery. They get less than a dollar of the delivery fee, drive their own cars, buy their own gas, drive long distances, etc. I can't tell you how many sets of tires and brakes he's had to replace in the past year. I wouldn't tip less than 5 now, depending on the order.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacketfan View Post
They make 7 ish when in the store, and under 4 per hour when on a delivery. They get less than a dollar of the delivery fee, drive their own cars, buy their own gas, drive long distances, etc. I can't tell you how many sets of tires and brakes he's had to replace in the past year. I wouldn't tip less than 5 now, depending on the order.
Some posters are worried that your untrained son is making more than many successful professionals with postgraduate degrees, is he?
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Some posters are worried that your untrained son is making more than many successful professionals with postgraduate degrees, is he?
I am concerned based on my having done the job and having known my fellow drivers were, in fact, making that much.
Obviously it varies by store and by where you are. At the time I was 20 and I worked along side a 45 year old man who quit his job as an engineer for a part-time pizza delivery job. He made more part time than he had made full time as an engineer. Plus he didn't claim his full income so he didn't pay tax on a huge portion.
So yes, I think of that but also consider the location, the time of day, how busy the place is, etc. When you order from a place with a 10 mile radius sending one delivery per ca, vs. a place with a 2 mile radius that sends out 5 deliveries per car, that driver is in a totally different income range.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
yellowjacketfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC

Does he have a degree? No. He does not. Those posters are worried that my 21 year old is able to work???? I assure you many people delivering here are "successful professionals" with this as a supplemental income. But I think you missed the point. I doubt you would want to work for less than minimum wage for most of the evening while putting countless miles on your car. With gas at almost $4 per gallon and most of the rest of his money going to insurance, tires, etc all related to his job, how much per hour do you think he really makes? This is for most delivery people- not just my "untrained son". This is just another perspective. I certainly wasn't aware of all of this until he worked there.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12
I am just curious what the average tip is for your Pizza delivery guy. What do you consider a good tip?

I tip them $5 no matter if I just order one $12 Pizza or if I get 2 and the bill is $25. I still tip the $5 because it is no more trouble to bring 2 Pizzas than it is to bring 1. The gas cost the same.

I have seen a similar discussion on different boards and some ppl admitted to not even tipping the Pizza delivery guy anything because the Pizza place charges you a $2 delivery fee. (Even though that $2 does not go to the delivery guy)
By that theory you should tip a flat rate in restaurants too .. It's no more trouble to bring a $100 steak to your table than it is a $5 hamburger
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
angierae
DIS Veteran

We have three different (no, make that four, another one just opened) pizza places within two miles of our house, so we never pay for delivery anymore. It's way cheaper and easier to go pick it up.

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I tip $5 for a pizza delivery. Our places have no delivery fee and the guys come on a bike or by foot.

I also don't worry about how much they may be getting tipped by other people.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

We tip at between $3 and $5.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
By that theory you should tip a flat rate in restaurants too .. It's no more trouble to bring a $100 steak to your table than it is a $5 hamburger
Either way my delivery guy is making a very good tip. If I tip $5 on a $12 order that is about a 45% tip. When I tip $5 on a $25 order they are getting a 20% tip. SO my delivery guy never gets a crappy tip from me.

I have never had a Pizza delivery that cost more than $25. SO according to your logic when I order the $12 Pizza I should just tip him $2. I would never tip someone that low.

I would never, under any circumstances, ever order a Pizza to be delivered then NOT tip them. If a person doesn't want to tip they need to go pick the Pizza up themselves.

If you consistently order Pizza and they know you at the Pizza place as the lady who never tips I would hate to think what they do to your Pizza on the way to your house. And don't think for a minute that ppl don't really do nasty things like that because they do. Just like a PP said, go to the lousy tipper website and read some of that. You may change your mind about wether or not you are going to tip the delivery guy.

I also agree with a PP that said there are a lot of ppl here that don't tip for anything and they always have "good reasons" for not doing it.

That's why I am so interested in what others had to say on this subject.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I am concerned based on my having done the job and having known my fellow drivers were, in fact, making that much.
Obviously it varies by store and by where you are. At the time I was 20 and I worked along side a 45 year old man who quit his job as an engineer for a part-time pizza delivery job. He made more part time than he had made full time as an engineer. Plus he didn't claim his full income so he didn't pay tax on a huge portion.
So yes, I think of that but also consider the location, the time of day, how busy the place is, etc. When you order from a place with a 10 mile radius sending one delivery per ca, vs. a place with a 2 mile radius that sends out 5 deliveries per car, that driver is in a totally different income range.

I don't care what you tip, but I don't believe for a minute that anyone makes as much as a part time pizza delivery person as they do in a professional engineering job. I call nonsense on this one.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: