Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #61
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

As sad as it is to admit, this last visit did seem different. Last visit before then was in 08 for Food & Wine festival, which was ok. There are still a great deal of elements that I thoroughly enjoy...however, the new test track is awful. I completely agree that is an advertisement built within a ride. Complete with an "interactive make your own commercial" section.

That being said, having those endorsements help WDW refurbish and pay for upkeep on their attractions. I miss the innovations and imaginative aspects of Epcot, and hope that they soon will spruce up the "dead zones".

I'll always have WS! Which I love.
September 29-October 5 2014

Me DBF
KristenRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #62
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I don't even view Epcot as a park anymore, I view it as a destination, an extension of the boardwalk area. I love being in there - especially at night because it is so beautiful, but I really think of it as a food venue much like City Walk at Universal. I am glad a ticket is needed though, because it keeps some of the crowds out. But, I would NEVER buy a one day pass just to go to Epcot. And without Epcot, I am not sure i would buy a hopper.
I agree with this. I think Epcot is beautiful and I love it. But it's a place to sort of hang out, eat, drink. Which is cool.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #63
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjallemand View Post
Perhaps I should have clarified that I'm referring only to the "Future World" area of the park in my opening post, since a number of your responses are mentioning World Showcase.
Future World needs a total overhaul and that might include not calling it Future World anymore and dropping the whole FW/WS designations. JMHO!
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #64
mrsmomo
DIS Veteran

I have to agree with a lot of what the op said, I to am a mid 80's baby who frequented Disney in the early nineties with my family. It was an awesome park with all these things I had never seem before and was constantly updating the innovations area. The world showcase seemed way more lively too.

I don't know if its that I'm an adult now so I just see it differently or what but, imo its not as good as it used to be. Last year was my first time back to Epcot in over a decade....I was very excited to see a whole bunch of new and futuristic things and that's just not what I got it was indeed disappointing.

My dh who had never been to Epcot said "this is it" I was said when I realized it was.

I think they need to get some more futuristic ideas flowing and bring back the point of future world.

We are going again in a few months hopefully I just missed something and when we tour the park this September it will seem magical again.
mrsmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #65
Scubee
DIS Veteran

OP, as a child of the 80's (born in '77), I can identify. My earliest trips were at the ages of 10, 13, and 17. EPCOT Center was easily my favorite park. To clarify, Future World was my favorite. The sense of wonder, the view toward a greater, more technologically-advanced future was my favorite theme and so Horizons was my favorite attraction. I loved The Living Seas and Journey into Imagination. I loved Living with the Land then and now.

I enjoy Epcot today because my boys enjoy it, but it will never again be what it was...for better or worse.
Scubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #66
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

Epcot is still great, however, it's VERY much dumbed down now. Mission:Space, Test Track, Journey Into Imagination with Figment, Soarin',...zero to little educational value. Living with the Land feels so cold without the CM on board... Seas with Nemo is no way as interesting as The Living Seas used to be... Epcot is still my favorite Park, but it could have been SO much better.

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #67
disnut8
DIS Veteran

I disagree with Future World not being "future". It is if you think about it.

Universe of Energy - all about how to use all kinds of energy so we can continue living on the earth

Mission:Space - we haven't sent any humans to Mars yet, have we? I might have missed that bit of news

Test Track - just redesigned for a more futuristic look (and it does educate - I didn't know you should just press on anti-lock brakes in a skid and it saved my behind during a snowstorm)

Living Seas - we haven't even yet begun to explore what is "under the sea"

The Land - really? All the plants and what we can do to "live with the land". Come on!

Imagination Pavilion - well, OK, got me there. But one could argue that Michael Jackson and friends were in space. Yeah, during the 80s but they were in space. Figment stays, though! Michael can be retired.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #68
mjallemand
Est. 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
Living Seas - we haven't even yet begun to explore what is "under the sea"
While the actual content of the Living Seas hasn't changed, the theming has. What was once designed to replicate a undersea base in the form of Seabase Alpha, with the intention of educating patrons on how the Ocean is important to life on earth has turned into "Oh hey look fish tanks, presented by some cartoon fish!"
Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #69
ChickinMMears
Earning My Ears

Speaking of dead areas, what is the space to the left of Mexico? There is a cut through area that leads to FW, passed what I think used to be a restaurant, but has since been empty for as long as I can remember now. Any ideas what they use that space for? I really think the higher ups need to come up with a whole new imagining of FW. Because I agree, it isn't very futuristic anymore.
ChickinMMears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #70
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickinMMears View Post
Speaking of dead areas, what is the space to the left of Mexico? There is a cut through area that leads to FW, passed what I think used to be a restaurant, but has since been empty for as long as I can remember now. Any ideas what they use that space for? I really think the higher ups need to come up with a whole new imagining of FW. Because I agree, it isn't very futuristic anymore.
Odyssey restaurant, used for private functions. Also recently used as a space to convert AP holders to RFID.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #71
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I remember being blown away by Future World and now it's only OK. We like Spaceship Earth (even though it has been dumbed down too) and the tanks at the Living Seas and Universe of Energy. Otherwise...

I do enjoy World Showcase though. It's truly nice still.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #72
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Sadly, I agree with op. As an educator, I have seen the "dumbing down" of our educational system, the passing of students who really shouldn't be, and the increasing laziness of most students.
Most newspapers and magazines are written on a third grade reading level, so that a majority of the population is able to read them. I believe that's what happened to the attractions at Epcot. They became "dumbed down" so that a majority of the population would better understand them, which in turn, sold more tickets and caused Epcot to lose its original identity. It became all about business instead of education.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #73
kerplop
Duck, duck, duck, duck GOOSE

To me Epcot always feels kind of...empty. Not that there aren't people there, but I find it less engaging than any of the other parks. But that could just be me and probably is. I like feeling like there's something to do around every corner, not just another flower bed.
Nov/Dec 2012 - Pop Century
Nov/Dec 2014 - Off-site
October 2015 - DL
Disneyland Vet (2-3 times a year 1979-2000)!
kerplop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #74
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quite frankly, I think it's a mix for me. Being someone who wasn't visiting Epcot during the "good old days", you can't really call me nostalgic. While I think WS is fine, I definitely thing Future World has lost its way; I don't know if "soulless" would be the word but dated may be a better fit. If you think about it, very little of FW is actually about the future rather modern, unique experiences. Let's go through the primary attractions.
  • Soarin' - I find very little futuristic about a hanglider. I understand the technology behind the ride is rather new but I wouldn't call it futuristic
  • Test Track - on the new version, you're basically designing a car and simulating it
  • Mission: SPACE - you're training for a space mission to Mars, which may be the most futuristic component to it but space flight training is hardly new
  • Ellen's Energy Adventure - not too much futurisitc about a film about energy from the 90s
  • The Seas w/ Nemo & Friends - this one doesn't even have a real-world compoent to it but nothing about the storyline seems futuristic
  • Turtle Talk - kind of neat and definitely new and futurisitc when it opened but six years later, it's okay
  • Living with the Land - organic food harvesting is now widely popular in the US among other places
  • Circle of Life - simply outdated
  • Imagination - shall I say anymore? Cute experience but nothing futuristic about it
While I like Epcot, I do think that FW is in need of a serious, serious revamp.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #75
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Nope, doesn't bother me one bit. Have been going to Epcot since it opened, and it is still my favorite park, and the one I spend the most time in.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: