Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
Nope. I think Epcot is a wonderful park and I thoroughly enjoy it.
Still my favorite park, and I've been going to WDW since there was only Magic Kingdom!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #17
eisforpants
Mouseketeer

I find it fascinating how different people enjoy different things. For our family Epcot was our least favorite park. For others it's their favorite.
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

I'll go against the grain... For us it's become soulless....we visit evenings because its usually crowd less ......

WS to me is just a few restaurants and shopping... And if I picked one restaurant to eat in I'm done....must admit I enjoy American Pavilion and Canada.... To me is just a huge walk around....

I'm totally indifferent to this park over the years!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

I put down that I love EPCOT because every year that we go, something stands out THAT Trip!

For us, last year even w/out TT up n running EPCOT was our fav. park.

With 11 nights there in WDW, there was plenty of time to visit & revisit each park several times. It's just something stood out this. time. It's possible that was because we stayed in BWV this time, I'm not sure.

For instance the trip before that in 2011 we really enjoyed AK ,& at that time, that was our fav park..

Who knows: Maybe this April Epcot won't be our fav. But even if it's our least favorite out of all 4 parks this time, it's still Disney, & it's better than anything else that there is out there---> (O/side of Disney that is)

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
Okh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I'm with Allison. Epcot's a great park. I suspect that the OP is struggling with his first burst of that nostalgic feeling that we all have our childhood experiences.
Daddio is wise. Be thankful for the memories but embrace change as well. Now put on fresh black socks with sandals, hitch your pants up to just below your nipples, chase the kids off your lawn and enjoy EPCOT as it is now!
“When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about.”
― Thomas Keller

Okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I think Epcot is a wonderful park. I like the OP miss Horizons and would love Journey into imagination to return to the original attraction.

But Epcot has evolved. So I really enjoy what it is now.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
I put down that I love EPCOT because every year that we go, something stands out THAT Trip!

For us, last yea reven w/out TT up n running EPCOT was our fav.

With 11 nights there in WDW, there was plenty of time to visit & revisit each park several times. It's just something stood out this. time. It's possible that way because we stayed in BWV this time, I'm not sure.

For instance the trip before thatin 2011 we really enjoyed AK ,& that time was our fav park..

Who knows: Maybe this April Epcot won't be our fav. But even if it's our least favorite out of all 4 parks this time, it's still Disney, & it's better than anything else that there is out there---> (O/side of Disney that is)
surely you don't mean everything? The real Paris? All the sights and history of Washington, D.C., Yellowstone, the Columbia river gorge, Hawaii? Charleston South Carolina? The Great Lakes? Maine in the summer. The Rockies! The blue ridge parkway? Lake itasca, Minnesota? The Pacific Coast highway? The Virgin Islands. Quebec and Vancouver? London, Scotland, or Ireland? Better than all of Australia?

I like Epcot, but not that much.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

I see were the OP is coming from. Epcot has always been one if my favorites. All of the changes were made gradually so you really don't see how much it has changed until you sit down and compare now and then. It used to be a very educational experience, but not so much now. It's still a fun park and I love it, but if I hadn't seen it for a long time and saw the changes taking place, I wouldn't even recognize it. I find it kinda sad that unless it has fun thrill rides, it would more than likely get passed over.

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDiva8401 View Post
I see were the OP is coming from. Epcot has always been one if my favorites. All of the changes were made gradually so you really don't see how much it has changed until you sit down and compare now and then. It used to be a very educational experience, but not so much now. It's still a fun park and I love it, but if I hadn't seen it for a long time and saw the changes taking place, I wouldn't even recognize it. I find it kinda sad that unless it has fun thrill rides, it would more than likely get passed over.
I think it could have both!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
surely you don't mean everything? The real Paris? All the sights and history of Washington, D.C., Yellowstone, the Columbia river gorge, Hawaii? Charleston South Carolina? The Great Lakes? Maine in the summer. The Rockies! The blue ridge parkway? Lake itasca, Minnesota? The Pacific Coast highway? The Virgin Islands. Quebec and Vancouver? London, Scotland, or Ireland? Better than all of Australia?

I like Epcot, but not that much.
LoL......Ok let me reword this....Those are different destination type trips.....

What I meant was amusement parks and sorts.....While I enjoy Six flags & Busch Gardens, & Universal Studios, which have great thrill rides & stuff, it's just the Way that DISNEY treats you that's all I meant by that..

Now would I love to visit national parks and europe & all...Of course, but that's not what I was comparing it to.

It's Just Disney just does it right..

2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
finedice
Mouseketeer

I'm actually on the fence here. I do love EPCOT, and always have. Yet I do see the point of the OP. To me, Futureworld is very current (as opposed to futuristic), and has lost a lot of its luster. I did love body wars, the Imagination pavillion "play area", the original Figment ride, and yes, Captain EO is soooo outdated. Shrinking the audience was so much more fun. The entire Imagination Pavillion has lost its magic in reality. We didn't even make the walk over there on our last trip.

WS is fantastic for adults, but very so-so for children. Yes, the interactive missions and meet/greets have helped with that.

As BCrook said, it is a great place to eat (if you are on the dining plan anyway). Yet in reality, the food is not that great overall when you look at the prices.

Foregoing the DDP this year based on price/value ratio, I have to say that it is less enticing to spend multiple afternoons / evenings there. I can get much better food off property for the same money, or equal food at a significant savings as well. Do I lose something in experience? Maybe, but I must say, I do feel that it will be pretty liberating not feeling like I have to eat all that food, as well as having so many more options for spontaneity when it comes to eating. Having those ressies locked in so far in advance is really limiting in a lot of ways. Sure you can find a ressie at many restaurants day-of, but those options are generally somewhat limited.

I think it would be great if they built a new country in WS - preferably with a ride, and if they completely refurbed the imagination pavillion, as well as finding a better use for the Life Pavillion. EPCOT could really use a third E-Ticket IMHO.
finedice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I think it could have both!
What was the name of the educational area they tried to have? And it offended too many people, so they had to shut it down? It seems people don't want to learn anything while they are on vacation.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #28
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

EPCOT is great, but it's definitely a ghost of its former self. The central theme of the permanent World's Fair is gone, so it does feel like a bit of a mishmash.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post

LoL......Ok let me reword this....Those are different destination type trips.....

What I meant was amusement parks and sorts.....While I enjoy Six flags & Busch Gardens, & Universal Studios, which have great thrill rides & stuff, it's just the Way that DISNEY treats you that's all I meant by that..

Now would I love to visit national parks and europe & all...Of course, but that's not what I was comparing it to.

It's Just Disney just does it right..
. I understand!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

But if people don't have the time or money to take a European vacation, or Canada or so, EPCOT just gives you a nice scaled down version, that is at least authentic enough to almost bring you there w/out actually being there.. If that makes sense !

Adding another Country in WS, would be awesome yes, & sprucing up the pavilions &/or adding new things there as well , would be great too, but I still enjoy it, & plan on visiting each n every year.

2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9