DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
MLC2002
Mouseketeer

Need help-- Cash, Buy points, use points, or transfer

We have a June use year. We have a trip planned in June to OKW that will leave us 60 points left in the June 2013-June 2014 use year. We will then have 100 points for the 2014-2015 use year. Thus, if we bank the 60 points, we'll have 160 points to use in the 2014-15 use year... just enough for an RCI trade for a 1BR, which we are hoping to try. We had it all worked out perfectly, until...

Now we have family who will be visiting us for one night of our trip this June. I'd like to pay for their room. It will cost 13 or 14 points (depending on which night they stay). If I use my points, I won't have enough for the RCI trade we're hoping for next year. What should I do?

The options I have thought of...

1) Paying cash... however, the rate is about $300 for 1 night at OKW in June

2) Buying extra points... am I even allowed to purchase 13 or 14 points so that I will still have the 60 points to bank to next year? If so, how much will it cost?

3) Buying points from another DVC member as a transfer... we did this two years ago... we paid about $11/point... which would make it cheaper than the cash rate.

Any other options? What is my cheapest/best option?

Thanks for the help!
MLC2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

JMO, I use to go and rent points because the first few years we went so often we were coming up short.

It helps out a fellow DVC'r to rent from them and if you have made a friend or two on the board perhaps there may be more trust in the transaction.

Paying cash is rarely a good value.
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC2002 View Post
We have a June use year. We have a trip planned in June to OKW that will leave us 60 points left in the June 2013-June 2014 use year. We will then have 100 points for the 2014-2015 use year. Thus, if we bank the 60 points, we'll have 160 points to use in the 2014-15 use year... just enough for an RCI trade for a 1BR, which we are hoping to try. We had it all worked out perfectly, until...

Now we have family who will be visiting us for one night of our trip this June. I'd like to pay for their room. It will cost 13 or 14 points (depending on which night they stay). If I use my points, I won't have enough for the RCI trade we're hoping for next year. What should I do?

The options I have thought of...

1) Paying cash... however, the rate is about $300 for 1 night at OKW in June

2) Buying extra points... am I even allowed to purchase 13 or 14 points so that I will still have the 60 points to bank to next year? If so, how much will it cost?

3) Buying points from another DVC member as a transfer... we did this two years ago... we paid about $11/point... which would make it cheaper than the cash rate.

Any other options? What is my cheapest/best option?

Thanks for the help!
Those are your options.

1) - pretty straightforward. Cash reservations are easily available at this time.

2) - I would call MS and explain what you are wanting to do. Some have reported not being allowed to purchase the one-time-use points (up to a max or 24 at $15 each) if they still have current points available. Perhaps if you explain what you wish to do, they would allow it.

3) - this might be the best option. Even renting the reservation from another member or from www.DVCrequest.com might be worthwhile if you are unable to find someone willing to transfer a small number of points.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

If you want to use one time points, just bank the 60 points that will be needed next year for the RCI trade before you call MS.

The cash option gives the best cancellation protection should the family member's plans change.

It might be hard to find a transfer for 13 or 14 points, but it's worth a try.

Have fun!

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
cvjw
DIS Veteran

The Timeshare Store rents points also, and I have seen quite a few offers of a small amount of points for transfer in their weekly emails.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: