DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Manatees

Just got a groupon email for swim with Manatees in Crystal River.....anyone ever do this and used the groupon?

thanks

cheryl
Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
gojoe
DIS Veteran

Never swam with a Manatee but we were once having diner in Jupiter. A place call the Jetty. After diner we took a stroll along the docks. We sat there watching a family of Manatee's swimming around.

This is the funny part. A Manatee tour boat pulled up to the dock. One of the passengers spotted the manatee's by the dock. He shouted out "We just spent 2 hours on a boat, never saw one. That's because they are here at the dock!"

Sounds like it would be fun!
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

I've gone swimming with the manatees in crystal river - but not through groupon. does it tell you the operator? then you could go and have a look at the operators on TripAdvisor.

I went with a small company called Manatees in Paradise (who were just great) with only 3 of us on the tour. but some tours are big and mass consumer type approaches - not my thing at all.

Crystal River is about 2 hours drive from WDW so it makes for a long day. If you have someone to share the driving with and a map/gps it would be OK.

you can have a look at my experience on my blog - it is over a couple of posts. Part 1 and part 2
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I also swam with manatees in the Crystal River, but not with a groupon. It was an amazing time.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
chepic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojoe View Post
Never swam with a Manatee but we were once having diner in Jupiter. A place call the Jetty. After diner we took a stroll along the docks. We sat there watching a family of Manatee's swimming around.

This is the funny part. A Manatee tour boat pulled up to the dock. One of the passengers spotted the manatee's by the dock. He shouted out "We just spent 2 hours on a boat, never saw one. That's because they are here at the dock!"

Sounds like it would be fun!
That's is funny....and sounds like something that would happen to us!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarglider View Post
I've gone swimming with the manatees in crystal river - but not through groupon. does it tell you the operator? then you could go and have a look at the operators on TripAdvisor.

I went with a small company called Manatees in Paradise (who were just great) with only 3 of us on the tour. but some tours are big and mass consumer type approaches - not my thing at all.

Crystal River is about 2 hours drive from WDW so it makes for a long day. If you have someone to share the driving with and a map/gps it would be OK.

you can have a look at my experience on my blog - it is over a couple of posts. Part 1 and part 2
Thanks. Groupon is for Crystal River Manatee Tours and Dive. It is a pretty good deal...$10 for kids and $20 for adults...about 60% off. We are going in April and thought this would be something different for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
I also swam with manatees in the Crystal River, but not with a groupon. It was an amazing time.
Thanks

I think I am just going to do it. Not done any Groupon thing so I just wanted to be certain I wasn't going to be buying into something that we would regret.

che
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I thought swimming with manatees was illegal.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Not illegal, although there are some who want it to be. We had very strict rules. The Manatees had a "safe" area, where humans could not go. You could not touch with 2 hands. I did not want to touch, they are enormous, I just wanted to look and watch. They came over and watched me! I felt blessed.

Bobbi
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

Bobbi That sounds amazing
I just saw the groupon It's good till Aug.6 or 8 and we'll be there in July, driving and down.
can you say perfect?

Last edited by heynowirv; 03-03-2013 at 06:42 PM.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv View Post
Bobbi That sounds amazing
I just saw the groupon It's good till Aug.6 or 8 and we'll be there in July, driving and down.
can you say perfect?
I am not sure the manatees are in the Crystal River in July. I did it MLKjr weekend. The manatees go where there are warm springs in the Crystal River when the weather is cold.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
MousekeTom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I thought swimming with manatees was illegal.
It's okay to swim in the same waters with manatees, but you should be careful not to disturb them. Additionally, I don't think the springs are warm, they are usually very cold for Florida. Manatees are usually attracted to the warm water output from the electric generating plants like the one on Crystal River.

Quote:
According to the Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act, it is illegal to molest, harass, or disturb manatees.

Many manatee protection organizations, including Save the Manatee, offer a list of things to not do in an area that is known for manatees. These things include entering a designated sanctuary, chasing, disturbing, feeding, riding, touching and surrounding a manatee. Another act that is considered illegal is separating a calf from its mother, which can not only harm the animals but also aggravate the mother. The mother could harm a human in this situation.

MousekeTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

I went to crystal river the first week in Nov and the season was about to finish - however the operators run tours in other areas in other times of the year - as the manatees move up and down the river system. On the tour the operator took us to 3 or 4 different places where you can get in the water.
We wore wetsuits provided by the operator, but it really wasn't that bad - the manatees like warmer water.
Also they have roped off protection areas and we couldn't enter. the manatees are very curious and come swimming over to you. you are allowed to touch them but not chase, poke etc and not break the water with flippers.
it was all pretty cool really!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

They are a protected animal in florida there are certain rules you must obey when swimming with them. We have always wanted to do that but we did swim with the Manatees in Cozumel. Even got to play with them and feed them. It is best to see them in CR from late November to early March. Also they do kayaking too and the Kayak tour at Vero lots of people saw them.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
chepic

Thanks for the input.....we are in!!!

Going in April, so it should be decent weather and a 2 hour drive is a piece of cake since we drive from RI to get to WDW anyway..

che
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

you'll enjoy it and it's very different to be out in nature after the built environment of the parks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: