Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #46
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran
 
Karlzmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMickey View Post
1.5 hours is not a terrible amount of time to wait. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Have you talked to your friend? I bet they won't mind. Have an awesome trip!

We received our credits from Southwest in mail in the amount of time they said. (not from a cancelled flight but he horrid way they handled it) (another story all together lol) Enjoy those credits!
Agreed. No need for your friend to rush off the plane, then take a leisurely stroll to a non-moving restroom and maybe get a cup of coffee...an easy hour and a half.
__________________
= ME, 42= DH, 68 = DS, 8
POLY 2006 & 2008 YACHT CLUB 2008 & 2009
BWI 2011 OKW 2011WL 2011
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #47
lurkernj
DIS Veteran
 
lurkernj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,384

After reading the DOT denied boarding compensation stuff that was mentioned, I saw that I have the right to request a check instead of a voucher, so I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get a check, then maybe ill just cancel my flight and book through us air on her flight (currently $174). That would pay for my flight and a checked bag if needed.

If for some reason this doesn't work, we'll just suck it up and deal. BFF wasn't upset, I think I'm more bothered as it just doesn't seem fair to her (and I'm actually tagging along on her work trip, so she might never invite me again,)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll update after.
__________________
Me(45) DH(45)DS(19)DS(16)



My Sept 2012 actual trip report
All the makings of a Disaster

Split stay: Pop (solo), Yacht Club Sept 28-Oct 5 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #48
ibob52
Original Mickey Mouse Club ... Mouseketeer
 
ibob52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 319

Arrow

Agreed ... but it is Best to know what you are entitled

Before you accept/agree to a offered settlement.

This would be an example of the difference between a frequent flyer and a casual flyer.

Possible experience/knowledge to hold out for the better offer.

FlyerTalk ... YMMV

__________________
*please excuse me if I miss the point*

It's a Dog eat Dog world out there

Disney is my Happy ~ Place
ibob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #49
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.
 
seashoreCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 21,329

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
If for some reason this doesn't work, we'll just suck it up and deal. BFF wasn't upset, I think I'm more bothered as it just doesn't seem fair to her (and I'm actually tagging along on her work trip, so she might never invite me again.
At this juncture what would she like to have you do?

For involuntary bumps the airline must proactively tell you that you can receive cash compensation after which you can select either the cash or whatever they offered other voluntarily or involuntarily bumped passengers. Which to me means that if they don't tell you then you can go back and bite the apple again.
__________________
Last Disney trip: December 2010.
Blackberries are red when they are green. (the late Paul Harvey, among others)

Last edited by seashoreCM; 03-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #50
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,681

Based on everything in the CoC and this thread, this is neither denied boarding (can only happen at the airport near flight time) nor, technically, an involuntary bump. The flight is still more than a month away. The poster who referenced the tv show "Airline" probably recalls episodes where groups of passengers were bumped from oversold flights and got vouchers, not cash.

This was a unique situation where merging two reservation systems allowed seating/space that was already purchased by passengers to be purchased a second time by more passengers.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #51
lurkernj
DIS Veteran
 
lurkernj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,384

Ok, I called and spoke with customer relations and explained the situation and was told they could not issue me a check, as this was not denied boarding, which can only happen at the gate.

I asked if the amount was negotiable and was told no that this was a set amount given to all passengers affected by this specific glitch. She did offer me any other flight that was available that day (on SW or Airtran), and none of them worked out any better, so I'll just keep it the way it is.

It really is not a big deal, I'm not willing to call and speak to supervisors etc as it's just not that big of a deal to me or to BFF. And I was just kidding about her not taking me again, she's not that petty.

For the poster who wanted to know which flights. It is my flight home from MCO to PHL.
__________________
Me(45) DH(45)DS(19)DS(16)



My Sept 2012 actual trip report
All the makings of a Disaster

Split stay: Pop (solo), Yacht Club Sept 28-Oct 5 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #52
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball
 
rlduvall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicaldisney View Post
Sometimes you have to make lemonade out of lemons. There is nothing the OP can do to change it so......therefore.....lemonade!
Yes, but without the sugar it's gonna taste horrible.
__________________
rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #53
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,651
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Yeah, a change can affect numerous schedules, not just mine. So, it's a big deal to me. I'm not booking a flight, just hoping to arrive the same day.
But this is exactly what CoC will tell you. Sure, you can book a particular flight and seat, but there is no way to be 100% sure that you will be on that particular flight, in that specific seat on departure day!!! Yes, most of the time, it will happen exactly as you booked. But, there are plenty of times when flights change, or they are overbooked. And in this case, with two airlines merging, it was bound to happen!!
In all reality? A 2 hr difference isn't a huge deal. SW was good enough to give lots of advance notice. So much better than the night before!!!

I fly SW a lot...and I have never had an issue like this. I have never been bumped, and never have been called to change my flight. So far, so good. It has happened with Delta before. And we have had an instance where a JB flight was cancelled while dh was driving to the airport!!! That one was fun!

A year or so ago, my dd and I had a flight on Jetblue...for early in the morning. It was one of the few times that our arrival time was important. We got to the airport (Logan) by 5:30am, for our 8am flight...we like to be able to relax a bit. Well, we got on the plane at 7:30, and sat there for about 45 mins. About 8:20, they took us off the plane, and told us there was a mechanical issue. Now, I'm very happy to be taken off a plane that has an issue...don't get me wrong. But, they had to bring in a different plane. And by the time one got there? It was now close to noon!!! We left Logan at the time we should have been landing in Orlando!! And of course, we had someplace to be, which we had to miss!! And what did we get from JB? Dd and I each got a $50 credit. Big deal!! Oh, and free movies.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #54
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy
 
Minnesota!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!
Posts: 8,275

I would have jumped at this chance! We are always hopeful that they will ask for people to be bumped - would love the travel credits!

OP - sorry it isn't going as smooth as you hoped, but 1.5 hours is nothing...enough time for your friend to use the bathroom, grab her luggage and read for a bit. If I were her, I would grab a drink and a snack on the way, and then just sit and decompress for a bit!
__________________


Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #55
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport
 
Greysword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: now in Oregon
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
It really is not a big deal, I'm not willing to call and speak to supervisors etc as it's just not that big of a deal to me or to BFF. And I was just kidding about her not taking me again, she's not that petty.
Lurker, thank you for posting this, as it is an area where those without an understanding can get burned.

For the rest of the population that may wander in...

The Federal rules governing this is 14 CFR 250. The government set up a set of rules regarding what an airline is liable for should a person get bumped from a flight due to their overbooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
Ok, I called and spoke with customer relations and explained the situation and was told they could not issue me a check, as this was not denied boarding, which can only happen at the gate.

I asked if the amount was negotiable and was told no that this was a set amount given to all passengers affected by this specific glitch. She did offer me any other flight that was available that day (on SW or Airtran), and none of them worked out any better, so I'll just keep it the way it is.
They were not correct, as this is most definitely an involuntarily denied boarding situation. Based on the rules, they are required to find volunteers first, which they did not do properly, since you were not asked if you would volunteer. However, I would not be correct if you happened to be the very last person they contacted asking for volunteers and you became the very first person on the list to be denied boarding within the same phone call.

As for the rule, they are required to issue you cash or a check for the denied boarding compensation unless you choose to accept a voucher. They are not allowed to simply make a voucher the only offer if they are in violation of the boarding provisions in the CFR.

The only provision I saw in the CFR that WN could fall back on is the time limit. If they are able to reschedule you so the arrival time to you connection is the same or earlier or if you arrival at the final destination is within one hour, then they are not required to compensate the bump. otherwise, it needs to be in cold hard cash (or check) based on a specific formula found in 250.5.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Based on everything in the CoC and this thread, this is neither denied boarding (can only happen at the airport near flight time) nor, technically, an involuntary bump. The flight is still more than a month away. The poster who referenced the tv show "Airline" probably recalls episodes where groups of passengers were bumped from oversold flights and got vouchers, not cash.

This was a unique situation where merging two reservation systems allowed seating/space that was already purchased by passengers to be purchased a second time by more passengers.
Katiee, the Contract of Carriage is irrelevant in this situation, except for the purposes of outlining how they determine in what order people will get bumped. The CFR clearly does not state any time restrictions on the involuntary denial of boarding, and the assumption that it has to be at the gate is incorrect.

A purchased and confirmed ticket is the contract that WN is attempting to break. By all definitions in the CFR, the airline is required to find volunteers first and compensate based on federal guidelines if the OP does not agree to volunteer.

While the OP is within her right to not pursue it further, especially if she feels she is getting fair compensation, others may need this information. Personally, I would have been fine with it until the WN rep started talking about their legal limits.

Kurkernj, I would suggest you may try another angle. Call WN back and ask them if your friend can get on the later flight with you, in lieu of a voucher. That is if you are traveling together. Then, she can just ignore the US ticket. I would also see if you get written confirmation, and if not, file a claim with the FAA on behalf of the flying public. Many data points lead to action.

As a side, not, it seems WN has pulled this stuff before:

Quote:
Southwest Fined $200K for Involuntary Bumping

The Department of Transportation (DOT) hit Southwest with a $200,000 fine for improper procedures related to involuntary bumping.

<snip>

In the DOT report, the agency says Southwest failed to "tender cash or an immediately negotiable check for the appropriate amount of compensation on the day and at the place the denied boarding occurred to eligible passengers who were denied boarding involuntarily ... pay eligible passengers who were denied boarding involuntarily the appropriate amount of denied boarding compensation specified in the rule ... inform eligible passengers offered travel vouchers of the amount of cash compensation that otherwise would have been due to them ... [and] furnish eligible passengers who were denied boarding involuntarily with a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation."
__________________
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.



Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #56
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
Kurkernj, I would suggest you may try another angle. Call WN back and ask them if your friend can get on the later flight with you, in lieu of a voucher. That is if you are traveling together.
With all due respect, and I respect you knowledge on all this, I don't "get" the suggestion. Yes, I understand it's an option, but, assuming the friend paid for the US Air ticket, why throw money away? If SW puts the friend on the later flight, BFF is out whatever she paid for the US Air ticket, AND the OP would be out any credit (or money).
__________________
Oasis of the Seas W. Caribbean June 8-June 15, 2013
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #57
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport
 
Greysword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: now in Oregon
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
With all due respect, and I respect you knowledge on all this, I don't "get" the suggestion. Yes, I understand it's an option, but, assuming the friend paid for the US Air ticket, why throw money away? If SW puts the friend on the later flight, BFF is out whatever she paid for the US Air ticket, AND the OP would be out any credit (or money).
Yes, the cash flow would be neutral from the point before WN made the denied boarding call, but the gain is convenience of have both parties on the same flight, thus minimizing the wait time and gaining a preferable seat mate. basically, the cost for this convenience is the $200 voucher.

Is this worth it? Only the OP can say, but it might be for me depending on my feelings in the circumstance and my future travel plans.

In the end, I was just thinking out loud
__________________
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.



Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #58
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran
 
Paging Tom Morrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Based on everything in the CoC and this thread, this is neither denied boarding (can only happen at the airport near flight time) nor, technically, an involuntary bump. The flight is still more than a month away.
Could you please post your source for why you believe that denied boarding can only happen at the airport near the flight time? The federal regulations on denied boarding do not define any time period, so I am curious as to what your source is.

The Contract of Carriage does permit an airline to change your flight to anytime during the original date of scheduled travel. However, those changes cannot be arbitrary and must follow the exceptions adopted by the federal government. In this case, the airline operator is changing a confirmed reservation without having a qualifying exception that is permitted under the federal regulations.
__________________
- Ken
Bay Lake Tower - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Beach Club Villas - 2007, 2008, 2013, 2014
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #59
Tozzie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow View Post
Could you please post your source for why you believe that denied boarding can only happen at the airport near the flight time? The federal regulations on denied boarding do not define any time period, so I am curious as to what your source is.

The Contract of Carriage does permit an airline to change your flight to anytime during the original date of scheduled travel. However, those changes cannot be arbitrary and must follow the exceptions adopted by the federal government. In this case, the airline operator is changing a confirmed reservation without having a qualifying exception that is permitted under the federal regulations.
Well I did find this section of the regs,

Exceptions to eligibility for denied boarding compensation.

A passenger denied boarding involuntarily from an oversold flight shall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if:

(a) The passenger does not comply fully with the carrier's contract of carriage or tariff provisions regarding ticketing, reconfirmation, check-in, and acceptability for transportation
;


The passenger has to actually check in for the flight and they are going to be able to check in for the flight, therefore if you take the rules on face value as written they are not being involuntarily bumped.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #60
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran
 
Paging Tom Morrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
Well I did find this section of the regs,

Exceptions to eligibility for denied boarding compensation.

A passenger denied boarding involuntarily from an oversold flight shall not be eligible for denied boarding compensation if:

(a) The passenger does not comply fully with the carrier's contract of carriage or tariff provisions regarding ticketing, reconfirmation, check-in, and acceptability for transportation
;


The passenger has to actually check in for the flight and they are going to be able to check in for the flight, therefore if you take the rules on face value as written they are not being involuntarily bumped.
The requirement is that the passenger has to comply with the rules for check-in. The airline cannot eliminate the ability for the passenger to comply with those rules as a way of limiting their liability for denied boarding.

Check-in in this case refers to passengers who fail to check-in as they become excluded from the protected class.
__________________
- Ken
Bay Lake Tower - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Beach Club Villas - 2007, 2008, 2013, 2014
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.