Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #16
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM
If you already have a confirmed reservation then they do not have the right to switch you to a different flight while the original flight still exists and any necessary connections are still legal.
Sure they do. Your airline reservation ultimately only assures you of passage from point A to point B on the scheduled date (and even that could be impossible with weather or other emergency closures).
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #17
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
This isn't the normal involuntary "bump" situation - that happens at the time of the flight (at the gate). Also probably why they wouldn't make the offer to someone else (as the OP requested) - it was a specific issue with the OP's ticket.

Not saying that I wouldn't have been annoyed or asked for a supervisor, just saying it isn't really an IDB.

OP - is your friend on SW? If so, I'd try seeing if they'd let her move to a later flight (so closer to your arrival time).
Shes flying us air and unable to change without a fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
If you already have a confirmed reservation then they do not have the right to switch you to a different flight while the original flight still exists and any necessary connections are still legal. Hopefully you printscreened * your original reservations.

Normally I consider a later flight home to be more desirable. If you would rather keep the $200. voucher then double check what your confirmation looks like now.

By the way how do you get the voucher and how do you prove that the voucher was offered? I would ask for something by email to confirm this and if that did not appear in a day or two, then call the airline back.

* Requires more than pressing the PrtScn button.
'
I have my printed reservation, but she made it clear there were no seats left.

Since it was the first day the AirTran flights were available on sw, I'm guessing they didn't include the previously booked AirTran passengers before filling it with sw passengers. Those AirTran passengers would already have seat assignments, therefore no place to sit for the new people. She said there were a lot of people they were contacting, so I'm not the only one, and this probably isn't the only flight.

She said I'd receive a voucher in the mail.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
I have my printed reservation, but she made it clear there were no seats left. .
Then they must ask for volunteers at the airport.

Airlines call people up for this purpose all the time and are known to call fliers up at 2 in the morning to (added later) try to get the fliers to sleepily agree to change their flights.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 03-03-2013 at 08:03 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Then they must ask for volunteers at the airport.

Airlines do this all the time and are known to call fliers up at 2 in the morning to get the fliers to sleepily agree to change their flights.
No, the do not have to wait to ask for volunteers at the airport - as you prove by your second statement. You are contradicting yourself.

What happened to the OP is very annoying, but not, in fact, against the Contract of Carriage.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
What happened to the OP is very annoying, but not, in fact, against the Contract of Carriage.
I beg to differ. But I don't want to turn this thread into a three (you, k...r, and g...k) against one (me 'sans' flame suit) cat fight.

To the OP: Now you can enjoy two more hours of park time at the expense of keeping your friend waiting, and (tell her in advance, like today) blame it on the airline.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Why not look as see if that flight is still available. If so I would try switching back to that flight and see what happens.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
I beg to differ. But I don't want to turn this thread into a three (you, k...r, and g...k) against one (me 'sans' flame suit) cat fight.

To the OP: Now you can enjoy two more hours of park time at the expense of keeping your friend waiting, and (tell her in advance, like today) blame it on the airline.
It appears you haven't actually read Southwest's Contract of Carriage. Section 9.b.(2)(i) - Service Interruptions - covers denied boarding http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs...f-carriage.pdf. There's absolutely no reference to how far in advance the airline is allowed to notify passengers of oversold flights.

Really, it's simple common sense to inform passengers as far in advance as possible.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

I've never flown SWA and only a few times on AT. It looks like that airline is on my NEVER FLY list. This willy-nilly, maybe schedule is not acceptable. Doesn't sound much different, than rolling the dice with Priceline.

I've had flights change or disappear, but the airline worked to accommodate MY wants and needs....every time.

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
I've never flown SWA and only a few times on AT. It looks like that airline is on my NEVER FLY list. This willy-nilly, maybe schedule is not acceptable. Doesn't sound much different, than rolling the dice with Priceline.

I've had flights change or disappear, but the airline worked to accommodate MY wants and needs....every time
But in this case there are absolutely no seats available on that flight. What else could they possibly do?

Flights are oversold on all airlines all of the time. Unfortunately though you usually don't find out until you get to the airport. Personally I would rather find out a month in advance instead of an hour before the flight.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can "beg to differ" all you want, but since this in fact a factual issue (with the relevant fact quoted in a post), you'd be wrong. If this were a matter of opinion, that would be one thing - but it isn't.

Heck, you appear to "beg to differ" with yourself (since you contradicted yourself in the post I quoted).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
But in this case there are absolutely no seats available on that flight. What else could they possibly do?

Flights are oversold on all airlines all of the time. Unfortunately though you usually don't find out until you get to the airport. Personally I would rather find out a month in advance instead of an hour before the flight.
I average 4-6 RT a year **crosses fingers**....and it has never happened to me. I reserve my seats when I book my reservation. Maybe, that's the difference?

I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.....After all, tomorrow is another day"
Scarlett O'Hara
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
I average 4-6 RT a year **crosses fingers**....and it has never happened to me. I reserve my seats when I book my reservation. Maybe, that's the difference?
No. Having assigned seats doesn't prevent you from being bumped.

What's the point of this thread? Airlines overbook, people get bumped. It happens every day; what's the big deal?
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #28
HNW999
Mouseketeer

Will us air have a later flight that arrive closest to your new time? If so maybe they can take a later flight deal. Just a thought.
HNW999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #29
SilverMickey
DIS Veteran

1.5 hours is not a terrible amount of time to wait. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Have you talked to your friend? I bet they won't mind. Have an awesome trip!

We received our credits from Southwest in mail in the amount of time they said. (not from a cancelled flight but he horrid way they handled it) (another story all together lol) Enjoy those credits!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #30
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
No. Having assigned seats doesn't prevent you from being bumped.

What's the point of this thread? Airlines overbook, people get bumped. It happens every day; what's the big deal?
The point of my post was to let others know that there are some glitches with the new booking system that includes AirTran flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNW999 View Post
Will us air have a later flight that arrive closest to your new time? If so maybe they can take a later flight deal. Just a thought.
If BFF changes her flight, she'll have to pay a change fee.

We're both independent travelers so its not a huge deal, just sucks for her to have to wait. And I'm not excited about driving at 11:30 at night, but what are you gonna do. I was surprised they wouldn't move along to ask other travelers first before forcing me into changing, but I am glad they let me know this far in advance rather than at the airport.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: