Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMomof3 View Post
What suggestions do you have my family as far as the muster drill goes:

We have a 10 year-old with autism who does so-so with big crowds, and I will still be in my post-surgical boot (not happy to hear that from the doc on Thursday). Should we go early or wait so that we can be more towards the front? My only cruise experience has been DH & I on Carnival and early arrivals ended up against the wall with several rows of people in front of them...
Well, that's pretty much how it is on DCL, also. Early people are against the wall. However, if you were there early, I've noticed, they tend to try to put those who require special assistance on the side where fewer people are.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

Well, that's pretty much how it is on DCL, also. Early people are against the wall. However, if you were there early, I've noticed, they tend to try to put those who require special assistance on the side where fewer people are.
That is very good to know. We will definitely go early. Thanks!
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
CajunMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMomof3 View Post

We have a 10 year-old with autism who does so-so with big crowds, and I will still be in my post-surgical boot (not happy to hear that from the doc on Thursday). Should we go early or wait so that we can be more towards the front? My only cruise experience has been DH & I on Carnival and early arrivals ended up against the wall with several rows of people in front of them...
I'd go early. if you are on deck, you'll be in short lines, usually just your cabin, with your backs to the inside of the ship and facing the railing. Next group comes up and lines up next to you. If you are inside a theater or restaurant, you can get a seat.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

Yes, they had us line up tallest to shortest in a line so my dad at the back against the wall and the boys in the front,but those who came later did filter in front but there were a couple other people in front of us. My son has sensory processing disorder and didn't like the noise and crowd and actually headed to the back by my dad because there was a bench there and that created a little pocket next to him and my son sat there on the bench facing my dad and it was easier for him to have a wall and my dad and one other person than to be in the middle of the crowd. It wasn't long enough that it turned into a problem at all. He had more trouble waiting to disembark, the lounge was crowded and it was hot and he ended up throwing up just before we left the ship (in a trash can thankfully).

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJT View Post
How does muster drill work on DCL. Do all in the cabin need to be present. I.e. little kids.
Where were you going to put your kids during the drill? Do other cruise lines allow this?

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You will not be wearing the lifejackets as you're no longer required to bring them. But yes, everyone has to be counted, even kids, even babies.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
abajorek
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
You will not be wearing the lifejackets as you're no longer required to bring them. But yes, everyone has to be counted, even kids, even babies.
I have a 3 year old that will need entertaining. OK to bring a silent toy or book or iPhone/iPad with video and headphones for him while waiting for people to show?

"We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…"
-Walt Disney (as quoted in Meet the Robinsons)
April 1993 - Royal Parc Suites (Kissimmee) ...18 years later... June 2011 - Polynesian December 2011 - Grand Floridian (became passholders) March 2012 - Day Trip to MK April 2012 - Bay Lake Tower June 2012 - Holiday Inn LBV September 2012 - Hampton Inn LBV October 2012 - Hilton Downtown Disney
November 2012 - Day trip for Epcot Food and Wine Festival December 2012 - BoardWalk Villas March 2013 - Disney Fantasy April 2013 - Art of Animation
May 2013 - Dolphin (May the 4th Be With You) June 2013 - Hilton Bonnet Creek July 2013 - BoardWalk Inn August 2013 - Coronado Springs September 2013 - Dolphin October 2013 - Caribbean Beach (Mickey's Not-So-Scary) October 2013 - Disney Dream November 2013 - Swan (Mickey's Christmas & Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon) December 2013 - Yacht Club (Candlelight w/ Whoopi) December 2013 - Yacht Club (again! Mickey stole our Christmas tree....) January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge °o° February 2014 - Caribbean Beach (Princess 1/2 Marathon) °o° March 2014 - Hilton Bonnet Creek °o° April 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
abajorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #23
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abajorek

I have a 3 year old that will need entertaining. OK to bring a silent toy or book or iPhone/iPad with video and headphones for him while waiting for people to show?
No electronic toys or phones. It's honestly not that long or bad. I took DD when she was three and there's plenty of people watching to do during the drill.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
moosecrouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMomof3

Last summer I travelled with my nephew who is autistic. My SIL made sure to note this before we sailed with the staff. During the muster she mentioned to CM that he has problems with large crowds and they allowed them to stand off to side while rest of party went to their spots. On another note I could believe how wonderful our dining staff was. He is an extremely picky eater. At the time he would only eat chicken fingers & fries. Luckily he loved the ones from the pool deck so BIL bought a plate to our first MDR meal. The head server asked why they had the food with them. He told them to not bring it and that he would be sure to have a plate at the table waiting for him. Needless to say we took extra care of our servers who took extra care of us and made sure to point it out to guest services.
moosecrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosecrouse

Last summer I travelled with my nephew who is autistic. My SIL made sure to note this before we sailed with the staff. During the muster she mentioned to CM that he has problems with large crowds and they allowed them to stand off to side while rest of party went to their spots. On another note I could believe how wonderful our dining staff was. He is an extremely picky eater. At the time he would only eat chicken fingers & fries. Luckily he loved the ones from the pool deck so BIL bought a plate to our first MDR meal. The head server asked why they had the food with them. He told them to not bring it and that he would be sure to have a plate at the table waiting for him. Needless to say we took extra care of our servers who took extra care of us and made sure to point it out to guest services.
Thanks for this info. We are nervous about how he will do but decided that since he loves WDW so much that a DCL cruise should be fine, we typically try to do things as normally as possible, but I don't want to start the trip on a bad note. It is good to know that the CM are so accommodating.
Pop Century (11/07), All-Star Movies (10/08), Port Orleans- Riverside (6/09), Coronado Springs (10/09), Boardwalk Villas (11/10), Boardwalk Inn (4/11), Port Orleans- Riverside/Polynesian (10/11), Grand Floridian (3/12), DisneyLand Hotel (12/12), Disney Magic (3/13), ** AP**Wilderness Lodge (7/13), POR (7/13), POFQ (8/13), SOG (8/13)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Agree totally with these suggestions cajunmom. Find a CM as soon as you get to your muster and be upfront with them about your concerns. They will do whatever they can to make the process as atraumatic as possible. Best of luck!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #27
CajunMomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911
Agree totally with these suggestions cajunmom. Find a CM as soon as you get to your muster and be upfront with them about your concerns. They will do whatever they can to make the process as atraumatic as possible. Best of luck!
Off-topic, but I guess I'm not quite awake yet because when I first read your post I thought you said the CM would make it as TRAUMATIC as possible! I missed the a .... Lol
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Saddly yopur not reqiured to wear the lifevests to the drill anymore.

Hopefully that will change after all the recent incidents, but

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, take the lifevests out of the closet and have EVERYONE try them on and contact all the straps! Its not always as easy to do as it looks and trying to get it connected and adjusted while in a emergency situation, a fire, the vessel rolling/pitching the vessel only on emergency power and the passageways crowded and semi dark is not the time.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Saddly yopur not reqiured to wear the lifevests to the drill anymore.

Hopefully that will change after all the recent incidents, but

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, take the lifevests out of the closet and have EVERYONE try them on and contact all the straps! Its not always as easy to do as it looks and trying to get it connected and adjusted while in a emergency situation, a fire, the vessel rolling/pitching the vessel only on emergency power and the passageways crowded and semi dark is not the time.

AKK

I worry that many of us who are used to cruising get complacent about this. I know I did after they quit making us wear the jackets to the drills. Lately, I've been reminding myself to check out the jackets in the cabins, etc.

Slightly off topic, but I really wish they would (and I know they won't) change policies about bars and pools prior to muster drill. No buckets of beer sold prior to and close ALL bars and pools one hour before scheduled drill. If people are sitting around bored waiting for the bars/pools to reopen, there's a MUCH higher chance everyone will get their rear ends to the drill on time!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #30
kddlm
Mouseketeer

First time cruiser so excuse my naive question.....how do you know where your muster station is? Posted on door??
VBR/OKW (April 2009/
Spring Break Trip-OKW/VBR (2010)
September 2010 - OKW
April/May 2012 - BWV
DCL-Fantasy March 2013
kddlm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: