Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
adykate
Mouseketeer

DVC points through particular agency

I am just wondering if anyone has used a rental agency other than Davids to buy rental points for staying at DVC properties? The one I found is charging $2 lower per point than any other agency, and I am just wondering how reputable/reliable he is at obtaining reservations.
adykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
neodymm
Mouseketeer

I am looking at this, too. Are you talking about dvc - rental w/ Scott?

neodymm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I would go over to the DVC board; there is an entire area devoted to renting with points through other agencies.

Or you can ask the mods to move your thread over there.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
cvjw
DIS Veteran

One thing to keep in mind is that if the broker is charging less for renters, he is also probably paying the DVC owners less for their points. That translates into he may not have as many points available to make reservations - which could make securing a particular reservation harder. If I were going to rent out my points, I would go with a broker that was going to pay me the most for my points.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
abner1776
DIS Veteran

As the PP said, be leary about anyone underselling Davids by $2/point. Recently Davids has been seeking DVC members who are thinking of renting their points by offering an "incentive" to them which means Davids is having a hard time filling the requests from people who want to rent points. THis would clearly indicate a "sellers" market for the points.

As a DVC member why would I sell my points to XYZ agent for $8/p when I can get $10-11/p from Davids ?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I have never rented points before but we are thinking about renting next time we go and staying at OKW. I think I also would be a little leery of a broker who can rent you points for $11 per point. I agree that would mean he is probably only paying the owners $8 per point. I can't see why very many owners would even rent their points out to that broker. I definitely would not pay for anything up front until you got a confirmation number for a booked reservation and you knew you weren't being scammed.

If I were an owner I would rent out my own points on the DIS rent board before I would ever let them go for $8 per point. The only points I can see being only worth $8 per point are the points that are about to expire in the next 3 or 4 months and have to be used or lost.

If we rent we will be going through David's if he has the points we need available. I might possibly go directly through an owner.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
adykate
Mouseketeer

I didn't post on the DVC board because I am not aware of a forum that is exclusive to people renting through agencies. Please send me a link if there is one....I only know of the forums where people post "wanted" reservations, and owners posting available points. I figured owners wouldn't have much knowledge about the rental agencies...?

Is it possible this particular agent is just not taking in as much profit as David? As in, they rent at $12, give owners $10, and profit $2? Whereas maybe David pays owners $10 and charges renters $14? His price went up recently which is why I sought out other options.

I am not trying to start a debate or stir up controversy, I am just curious about why/how one person/agency seems to be the "go to" for rentals when there are other people/agencies doing it for a better price. Understandably longevity and proven success counts for a lot, so I am just wondering if other agencies just don't have that yet due to being "newer". I have received excellent customer service from every agency I have contacted, so I am just trying to get the best "bang for my buck" .
adykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
cvjw
DIS Veteran

You are free to rent from whomever you wish. My only point is that certain brokers may not have very many points to rent out if they are paying less money to the owners for their points. Less points to rent at an agency equals harder time making reservations. Only you can decide what is important to your family.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You can rent from an individual who might request $10-12 a point for the reservation. But what you want to reserve might be how you reserve. Some booking categories as some resorts are difficult to get if you do not book at exactly 11 months out. Some are already booked up a seven months or more out.

Obtaining a reservation for a "renter" is only as good as the inventory available when the person wants to book and if the person making the reservation has access to the points needed to book. From 7 to 11 months out, home resort points must be used to book a reservation. That means if you want AKV, someone who owns points at AKV must book that reservation. If it is seven months or less out, any points can be used to book the reservation.

But you can have all the points in the world from all the DVC resorts possible and inventory might not be available. Many members book their home resort at 11 months out. If you don't attempt to book until 10.5 months out, you might be locked out of your reservation.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
patty57
DIS Veteran

I think David's is the "go to" because his agency has been around for years and has a very good reputation. Also, David has paid to sponsor both this board and another popular rental board, so that he is the only company who can solicit business on them. That doesn't mean that Scott or Paul (don't know the name of either company, and don't think the Dis allows it anyway) don't have good and reputable companies. I've heard some positive feedback about Paul, but haven't heard anything about Scott. Again, doesn't mean he isn't good.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
TowMater92
Mouseketeer

I just sold 450 points through David's in January and it was right before they bumped it from $10 to $11 dollars per point. They are having a hard time getting points to fill reservations but they were great to work with. If you plan on renting DVC points I would get your request in as soon as you can, the more time they have to fill your reservation the better chance you have to get your request.
TowMater92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Three cats
DIS Veteran

I rented from the DVC rental store this past December. At that time the cost was 12.50 per point. It is now up to 14.00 per point. Supply and demand I suppose. Still a great deal compared to rack rates.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: