Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
PelletierBears
Mouseketeer

Graduation trip - Cruise or Disney World

I posted this question on the teen board this morning but it doesn't look like there's a lot of traffic there so I thought I'd try getting some adult opinions...

My daughter and some friends are talking about taking a graduation trip next year. They've been talking about WDW - staying on site, water parks & more tickets, dining plan, etc. One of the girls prefers to go on a cruise. There are four girls in total (including my DD) and I know 2 of them really well. The girl who wants the cruise I don't know at all.

I've never been on a cruise so I can only go by my impressions. I went on the Disney Cruise site last night to check out the acivities on board. They'll all be 18 by the time they go so would not be allowed in the teen areas (which look cool by the way). I can't imagine them hanging out in the adult clubs though! And my daughter would be bored sitting by the pool for 4 days.
We all know the options at WDW! The theme parks, water parks, disney quest, mini-golf, downtown disney, etc. I just feel like my DD and the 2 friend I know would have so much more fun at wdw.

Having said that, in the end it will be their choice. I want them to explore each option with an open mind and not just go along with what the one friend wants.

I priced both packages and the cruise (Disney) is more money for a shorter trip. There were only 3 or 4 day options for June of 2014. They could stay for 10 days at a mod resort for only a couple hundred dollars more!
I mentioned the Land and Sea package to my DD so maybe that will be the compromise. Am I wrong about the cruise...is there more for 18 year olds than I think?

So what are your opinions...Disney Cruise (or other cruise) or WDW?

Thanks!

1982 - offsite, 1996 - offsite, May 2001 - AKL, June 2006 - WL, June 2007 - WL, July 2008 - WL, June 2009 -Split stay: Pirate rm CBR & Poly Club Level!, December 2010 -Split stay: POP & WL, June 2012 - Split stay: CSR & WL, January 2014 - Split stay: AKL Club level & Poly, January 2015 - AKL Club level
PelletierBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My son and some of his friends took a Royal Caribbean cruise for their senior trip. I don't know that a Disney cruise would be a lot of fun for high school seniors-lots of families and you're trapped with them on the boat. At least at WDW, there's the option to go back to the resort or another park.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Royal Caribbean cruise. Either the Freedom of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, or the Allure of the Seas (sister ship to the Oasis).

We have been on both the Freedom and the Allure. Plenty of activities for people their age!!!

I prefer the Allure, but the Freedom is no slouch Both were outstanding cruises.

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Check out some of the other cruise lines. Disney is on the high end of costs.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Other cruise lines require passengers to be 21 yrs old. Anyone under 21 has to be traveling with someone 25.
stsomewhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Sheree Bobbins
DIS Veteran

A couple of my adult friends are hooked on cruising. Must be some good reasons for this.
Sheree Bobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

WDW.

I think you have to be 21 to book a cruise room?

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

You should check and see if the cruise lines will allow a party where none of the members of the party are over 21 to board.

I know I am thinking the worst here, after watching a 20/20 special on cruising, I would be hesitant to let my teenage daughter on a cruise without an adult. The simple reason being that there is a lot of drinking happening on a cruise. There may be people on board (guests and staff) that would be willing to give a bunch a teenage girls alcohol. The staff may even invite the girls into staff parties, which apparently are very wild.

Not saying it will happen, or that the girls would do that. But it could be tempting to act more "adult" on their first cruise out of high school without parents. The risk is there at Disney too, but I think it is less.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

Why not do the land and sea with a few extra days at WDW...that is if they are able to board being no one is 21....WDW is always fun...have they ever been there?

just relax Mun :wooho
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
LisaR

My DD and her friends are looking for something to do this summer when they all turn 18/19. They looked into cruises and concluded that they would need to be 21. I can't confirm that. They did the research so I am taking their word on it. They are looking at WDW now.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
PelletierBears
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies!

I never even thought to check into a minimum age requirement since they'll be 18. The conversation may be at an end : )

1982 - offsite, 1996 - offsite, May 2001 - AKL, June 2006 - WL, June 2007 - WL, July 2008 - WL, June 2009 -Split stay: Pirate rm CBR & Poly Club Level!, December 2010 -Split stay: POP & WL, June 2012 - Split stay: CSR & WL, January 2014 - Split stay: AKL Club level & Poly, January 2015 - AKL Club level
PelletierBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

I do believe the minimum age is 21.

Beyond that, I wouldn't do a Disney cruise for 18 year olds. Royal's Oasis/Allure - yes, in a heartbeat. Far more things for them to do on these ships; more pools; more sports type things, more everything. To me, Disney is geared for a younger family audience.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

Can they even rent a room at Disney or anywhere if they are 18?

I wouldn't do the disney cruise for them. I would look at Royal Caribbean's Oasis/Allure/Freedom/Liberty. There is plenty for that age group to do onboard.

I also would not let them go alone without a chaperone. Why don't you and another mom plan to go along. You don't have to spend every minute with them, but at least you are there as a safeguard and a reminder to be on good behavior. You can meet up once a day to check in--on the cruise that could be for the evening meal/perhaps excursions.

We have gone on spring break cruises for years and there were always groups of teens on board for their senior trip, with chaperones. So it is not a new concept to have an adult present.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

DCL is the one line that allows people as young as 18 to sail without an adult.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
DCL is the one line that allows people as young as 18 to sail without an adult.
This is correct. Royal Caribbean requires at least someone in the stateroom to be 21 or older. This requirement is waived IF the passengers are travelling with their parents in a nearby stateroom. Many families will book one parent in the stateroom with the kids and one parent and one kid in another stateroom, and then switch keys once onboard.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: