Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Mexican Restaurant in Epcot

Trying to decide between La Hacienda de San Angel and San Angel Inn...pros and cons? It will be me, DH, and our 3 DDs (at the time of our trip will be 9, 5, and 3). Also, which one the one "by the volcano" (according to my 4 year old) ~ the one where the Gran Fiesta Tour is?
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
arthropodtodd
Mouseketeer

We ate at La Hacienda de San Angel last December and I was not impressed. I think they are trying to do modern Mexican, but it just lacked flavor IMO. We took our 2 1/2 DD and she was fine there, but we prefer the CS, minus the attacking birds.

Haven't had San Angel Inn in almost 8 years, but it was good and seemed more Tex-Mex back then. Not sure about food currently. and yes the volcano is there. My only knock was it was dark, too dark.

WL 2004 - Wedding and Honeymoon there
WL - 2006
WL - 2009
CR - 2011
WL - 2012
WL Club Level - 2013
WL - 2014 -Summer

Coming next:
POP & AKL 2014 - Winter

In the pipe:
2015 - fall
2016 - fall
arthropodtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
tinkerhon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
Trying to decide between La Hacienda de San Angel and San Angel Inn...pros and cons? It will be me, DH, and our 3 DDs (at the time of our trip will be 9, 5, and 3). Also, which one the one "by the volcano" (according to my 4 year old) ~ the one where the Gran Fiesta Tour is?
The one w/ the volcano (and the ride) is SAI--- personally, we like it better---- I know many like La hacienda better, but we just love the atmoshere of SAI
tinkerhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

I prefer the food at San Angel Inn. It's closer to the Baja California style Mexican food I grew up enjoying in California. I'm told La Hacienda has more dishes inspired by the cuisine in southern Mexico. We found our meals there a little bland. Luckily for us, San Angel Inn has the better atmosphere anyway.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

We have eaten at each one more than once. IMO, La Hacienda's quality has deteriorated recently while the San Angel Inn's has improved. The other benefit to SAI is the setting. If you can manage to get a table near the water your DDs would be able to watch the boats go by. Even if that doesn't happen there is still the volcano and the it-looks-like-you're-outside-even-though-you're-inside atmosphere.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

I've eaten "by the volcanoe" every trip since I was 8 years old. So I can't give it up.

To me the food can be a toss up depending on what you order and what day of the week it is.

It is pretty dark inside the pyramid, which drives my DH crazy.
TwinkleKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Haven't been to La Hacienda yet, only because the menu doesn't' appeal to us as much As San Angel Inn. We love San Angel, wonderful food in a fantastic atmosphere, so we look forward to eating there every trip.

Wherever you go, I know you'll have a wonderful time!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
mcraige
DIS Veteran

We ate at SAI in November. The food was good, but the service was bad (one of the few times I have spoken to the management about service).
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
cbmcmahan
Earning My Ears

San Angel Inn is an absolute must-do for us. I grew up going there with my parents, so maybe it is a sentimental thing for me. However, my husband who is an extreme foodie really likes it as well. You cannot beat the ambiance. I have always had impecable service there. We usually request a certain tequila for our margaritas, and they make it for us right at our table. I always order the tostadas from the appetizer list. That dish appeals to me more than any of the entrees, and it is delicious every time. I could go on and on...
cbmcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
mmmears
DIS Veteran

We ate at both last summer and preferred San Angel Inn -- for the food, the service, and the atmosphere. And it's the one by the volcano!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for the reviews!! Looks like San Angel it is! And I'm so glad it is the one with the volcano ~ we have said several times we should give it a try (the girls love the ride and always ask to eat there), but I always forget about it in the planning process. We are hoping to try a few new places on our next trip ~ I think I'll add SAI to the list!
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
tinkerhon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much for the reviews!! Looks like San Angel it is! And I'm so glad it is the one with the volcano ~ we have said several times we should give it a try (the girls love the ride and always ask to eat there), but I always forget about it in the planning process. We are hoping to try a few new places on our next trip ~ I think I'll add SAI to the list!
Just made an ADR for an 11:30AM Lunch--- thanks to your thread--- we were thinking about it (LOVE SAI!!), but your thread put us over the top !!

From what I hear, we should definitely be able to get a table by the water/ride @ 11:30, as lunch just starting !!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerhon View Post
Just made an ADR for an 11:30AM Lunch--- thanks to your thread--- we were thinking about it (LOVE SAI!!), but your thread put us over the top !!

From what I hear, we should definitely be able to get a table by the water/ride @ 11:30, as lunch just starting !!

Happy to help, lol!! I need to remember to request a table by the water when we are close enough to make ADRs!
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
tinkerhon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Happy to help, lol!! I need to remember to request a table by the water when we are close enough to make ADRs!

Called, just to confirm the on-line ressie (since the system has been so funky !!) Got a great CM--- told me to just request the "water table" when we check-in, but since we have 1st seatings (11:30am), should not be a problem---

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: