Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I guess I'm in the minority, but I nearly always open the door. I realize it probably isn't a good idea, but I can't seem to help myself.

I did put a sign on the door for solicitors - the tree-trimming people and meat vendors were driving me insane. Lately it has been the religious ones. They came again this morning.

I should probably stop opening the door to just anybody - I think I'm way too trusting.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

always.. 4 kids.. lots of neighborhood kids... someone is always knocking on my door for them.. usually they answer it before I do. If its not a kid they yell for me.. last week a meat guy was going door to door selling meat.. I wasn't interested so I told him we were all vegetarians..

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
mamasuf
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree Bobbins View Post
I have a theory about would-be robbers: They knock on the door to see if you are home. Therefore, I need to let them know that there are people in the house. I go to the front bedroom window which opens onto the front door (1 storey above) and tell the person at the door, "Sorry, not interested." I don't believe I compromise my personal safety this way.
I agree with this. When I'm home alone I always let them know someone's here but never open the door. I just say I'm not interested through the side windows. When I leave my kids home alone (even though they are teens) my parting words are always, "don't open the door for anyone."
mamasuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya
I peek through the blinds to see who it is, but very seldom open the door to them. If kids in the neighborhood that I recognize ring my bell to sell candy, I'll usually buy something (I figure it's "protection money" -lol) but I won't open to religious soliciters any more. A few years ago, I politely listened to them and when they asked the question "Why do you think people more often do the "wrong" thing than the "right" thing?", I answered "Well, it's probably because the "wrong" thing is easier to do than the "right" thing." The woman immediately snapped, "No, that's not the answer." I informed her that she had asked me a question and I had answered her. If she didn't like my answer, well, the conversation was over and shut the door. Have you noticed that people who want you to listen to THEIR opinions very seldom want to hear YOUR opinions...? I'm so very tempted to tell them we're Satanists or snake worshippers and invite them into the house to see our altar, but I've resisted the temptation so far. One of these days, though, one of these days.....
My aunt actually said that she was a Satanist when Jehova's Witnesses wouldn't leave her alone. She invited them inside, offered to explain to them her beliefs and that she was on the right path. They never knocked on her door again.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

No way, I never open my door to ppl I dont know. Ever.

Funny enough, when someone rings our bell, my dog will bark like crazy (naturally). That scares them away half the time. I love it! Lol.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
Sheree Bobbins
DIS Veteran

Once, on the wedding day of my son, I opened the door totally dressed up and looking good. You should have seen the startled expressions on the Jehovah Witness ladies. Not expected first thing Saturday morning. I knew it was them as I saw them coming down the street.

They asked me if I was going out! But I was very non-committal. You see, I know you never tell a stranger you're going to leave the house empty, even if they're disciples from God. I didn't say much to them but I did feel blessed to have religious visitors that day even though I wouldn't tell them of my son's wedding.
Sheree Bobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

If I don't open the door its because I know its a religious person- otherwise I open up the side door and talk to them over the fence. I have neighbors that just pop over to chat or friends/family that will stop by if they are in the neighborhood, I don't find it rude- I am glad they are comfortable enough with our friendship to feel free to pop over whenever.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I hide and pretend I'm not home.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
brockash
DIS Veteran

I never answer the door, unless I'm expecting someone. Honestly, it really annoys me when ppl. come to my door without me knowing ahead of time. I get that it sounds weird, but it does.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Yes, I would be more afraid robbers would break in if they didn't think I was home. Plus I can't stand to hear people knocking on my door
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #26
mamamary
DIS Veteran

I never answer the door to people I don't know. I have a dog (lab) who sounds really tough. Luckily they can't see that he is wagging his tail like crazy.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Run and hide!
I made the mistake of answering the door to a group. From that one and only time they came back almost every Sunday for the next six months!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I work nights and have a million signs on my door warning you not to knock. There is a plastic thing taped over my doorbell to prevent ringing. I now have signs all ver my back door because the people would go around back to knock. Unbelievable! So heaven help you if you ignore all that and still knock loud enough to wake me up. I promise you'll be more afraid of me than I am of you. And you get the sprinklers.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Since I used to live in big cities I am in the habit of always having my door locked. Good thing. Here in my tiny WV town with no signal lights, the neighbors and friends show up uninvited and knock once, then turn the door knob to let themselves in!
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #30
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Yes. Well i leave the storm door locked. I want people to know i here with my German Shepard and any possible weapons i may have .
hereyago is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: