Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #31
GromMom
Mouseketeer

I booked a dummy in Sept and named Costco travel as my agent, was that enough or was I supposed to transfer the reservation? I would have looked into that sooner but was waiting for all of 2014 to be announced to see if Hawaii was an option. It would suck if I lost out on the Costco credit, but now I'm not sure who to call to move my reservation now that we want to book.
GromMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFivePA View Post
I hate to be a stickler, but did they actually 'agree' to this rule, meaning was the transfer ability in writing in the cruise contract?
If it is then they definitely needed to have notified you and honored what was agreed when you made your reservation.

if not, then your reservation was not directly affected, your cruise and everything that comes with it are the same. The credit is through Costco and has nothing to do with Disney. So unfortunately it was a gamble to wait it out 7 months after your reservation was made assuming nothing would change. Since it's nothing that directly affects your reservation, while I understand the frustration, I don't feel it was negligence on Disney's part, or a scam, etc,for them to not send out a general email to everyone who has a reservation just in case they may or may not want to transfer it somewhere along the line, even if your intention was explained when you booked it. Because at that time you would have been able to do it.

Companies change their policies all the time, so if the credit was that much of a priority definitely would've booked it that way from the start and worried about the room placement issue after. If the credit was through Disney and they all of a sudden taken away, then once again definitely that would be an issue. But it's in a gray area where nothing between you and Disney has changed, just the way to deal with third-parties.

If it IS in writing somewhere, then definitely fight it! Sorry this has dampened things for you. And don't mean to stir things up, just giving another point of view. Hope you still go and have a wonderful cruise!

Do I have a cruise contract? Where would I find such a thing? DCL isn't denying what the policy was when I booked, so it's not like I have to prove anything to them. The problem as I see it is that they make a change that retroactively and negatively effects my reservation by limiting my options for who I'd like to handle the reservation through. It DOES directly effect my reservation.

I don't expect Disney to send out an email notifying people of each individual change. I do however expect them to notify reservation holders that changes are being made, especially when deadlines are involved, so that reservation holders can review those changes and adapt their plans accordingly. I don't think thats unreasonable, and in fact there are a lot of service companies that do just that all of the time. DCL choose not to do that, and based on my circumstance I feel like this was dishonest.
benz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
OP - have you *tried* to transfer the booking over to Costco? I'm sorry if I missed it, however if you haven't, it's worth a shot. Others have had success and some have not. I would at least try it and see what happens. I was right near the 30 day booking window and transferred to Costco right around the date it changed so mine went through. I'm sorry you're disappointed and I hope it works out for you. Yes, the Costco cash card is a big incentive especially when you can combine it with the 10% off and $200 OBC from booking onboard - it's the best of both worlds.

Good luck,
Heather
I haven't tried yet because I just found out about this today. I intend to try though. I'm also waiting for a call back from someone at DCL to discuss my options.
benz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I didn't transfer anything. I just booked the cruise through DU which had an OBC. But someone said they had to offer less now so I wondered if that effected me.
The reduced OBC is only for people that are transferring their reservation to DU, it does not affect people that named DU as their agent or the ones that booked directly through DU.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #35
ikelshellmad
Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromMom
I booked a dummy in Sept and named Costco travel as my agent, was that enough or was I supposed to transfer the reservation? I would have looked into that sooner but was waiting for all of 2014 to be announced to see if Hawaii was an option. It would suck if I lost out on the Costco credit, but now I'm not sure who to call to move my reservation now that we want to book.
@Grommom: If you named Costco as your travel agent at the time of booking, this does not affect you. You will call Costco Travel to make any changes to your reservation.

@OP: Sorry you have to deal with this stressful situation. The best thing to do when booking onboard is to name Costco as travel agent at that time. That way, Costco will have your reservation (and you get the Costco card), and you wouldn't have to deal with the transfer later on.
ikelshellmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #36
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis

The reduced OBC is only for people that are transferring their reservation to DU, it does not affect people that named DU as their agent or the ones that booked directly through DU.
Okay thanks. I must have read it wrong :D
Old 03-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #37
AmyAnne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz0 View Post
Do I have a cruise contract? Where would I find such a thing? DCL isn't denying what the policy was when I booked, so it's not like I have to prove anything to them. The problem as I see it is that they make a change that retroactively and negatively effects my reservation by limiting my options for who I'd like to handle the reservation through. It DOES directly effect my reservation.

I don't expect Disney to send out an email notifying people of each individual change. I do however expect them to notify reservation holders that changes are being made, especially when deadlines are involved, so that reservation holders can review those changes and adapt their plans accordingly. I don't think thats unreasonable, and in fact there are a lot of service companies that do just that all of the time. DCL choose not to do that, and based on my circumstance I feel like this was dishonest.
There are two documents -- a cruise contract and something else, I can't rememeber what it's called exactly, terms of service or something like that -- that you can access through the DCL website if you pull up your reservation. BUT I read both of those documents and I found nothing either way about transferring reservations, and this was what the DCL person I spoke with also said -- that it's not in the contract.

If you find out anything different, please post!
AmyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #38
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

I was caught in the same thing but I actually have no issue with it. How can Disney pay their employees to do all the booking and any other work/changes and then pay a commission to a 3rd party to do the same thing? What business would prosper doing this?
I will reshop my 2014 Alaska cruise when I am onboard next month and choose TA then if worth it- but I'll probably just leave it.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #39
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The change was not with your contract (reservation) with Disney. Disney never had an agreement with you on whether you could transfer a reservation to a TA, what that TA MIGHT reward you with in cash or OBC. Who Disney does have agreements with are the TA, and those are what changed. Disney informed the TAs that they would no longer pay the TAs for reservations transferred after 30 days, and it seems they also informed TAs that the fee for a reservation originally booked with Disney and transferred to a TA within 30 days would be reduced, which has caused some TAs, including DU, to reduce their OBC award. Makes sense that the TAs then don't want to take reservations made more than 30 days ago because they'll receive no fee and that for those reservations originally booked with Disney but transferred within 30 days will have a reduced OBC because the TA's commission is reduced. Disney can, of course, drop any TAs they want to at any time, including Costco, and then you'd be out again. TAs can also choose not to work with Disney if they don't think the commission is enough.

Disney has a right to make any deals they want with TA, or in fact not even pay TAs a commission (and thus do all bookings directly). Some airlines have been doing this and blocking commissions to Expedia or other travel sites because they don't feel they make enough money on the tickets by paying Expedia a commission. Southwest only books on its own site.

Allowing people to book on board, in advance, isn't required by law. Disney doesn't have to give discounts or OBC or TA commissions at all, but they do because they think they get more business that way. If you don't like their business policies, take your business elsewhere.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #40
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
I THINK they can keep the Disney offers and combine them with the Costco offer if they transfer. I believe I read that somewhere on here.
Yep, you receive the cash card, onboard credit, the discounted fare AND reduced down payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromMom View Post
I booked a dummy in Sept and named Costco travel as my agent, was that enough or was I supposed to transfer the reservation? .
I just booked a dummy date onboard and named Costco as my agent. I had to call and have the reservation moved to Costco. It was not automatically sent to the TA.

BTW...I kept all of the original paperwork.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #41
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

What kind of notification were you expecting. I heard about this change a while back. Disney didnt keep it secret, if you have booked a cruise why would Disney assume you were going to move your booking. I think the change makes sense from their Disney wants people who book with a a TA to do it up front, I combine my TA discount and the 10%, I named my TA when I booked on board.

Last edited by canadiandisneyfamof4; 03-02-2013 at 07:08 PM.
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #42
AmyAnne
Mouseketeer

In my mind, the question isn't what policy Disney should have about transfers--the question is whether they should honor the policy that was in effect when a booking was made.

We can debate about whether the old or new policy makes better financial sense for Disney, but that is not the point. The old policy might have persuaded some people to book on board--encouraging impulse booking for people who might have been tempted to wait and contact a TA later. Obviously, Disney decided that the better policy for them is to not allow transfers after 30 days. I am totally fine with that, for bookings made after that change in policy was announced. But when I made my reservation, Disney said that I could transfer it to a TA so long as the final payment had not been made. Is Disney legally bound to honor that? Apparently not. But it still feels wrong to me that they are not honoring it.
AmyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #43
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Most discount offers, when written, contain language stating they are "subject to change without notice." I don't know where the rules for onboard booking are written, but if they are, and that phrase appears, then you have no recourse.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #44
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Most discount offers, when written, contain language stating they are "subject to change without notice." I don't know where the rules for onboard booking are written, but if they are, and that phrase appears, then you have no recourse.
Exactly! Even though that doesn't apply here because DCL did indeed announce the change. The OP just didn't hear about it.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #45
ThinkTink1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromMom
You would have to call Costco to call DCL and move your sail date. Once you have booked with a travel agent anything dealing with money like moving a cruise, transfers, pre paying grats need to be done through them. When you booked your dummy cruise they would have placed Costco name in there when creating your reservation so you should be fine.

Tags
screwed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: