Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
Someone posted here about the change right before it took effect. She had been notified by her travel agent. There was a lot of discussion about it at the time, but the consensus seemed to be that although it would have been nice if DCL had announced the change, they were under no obligation to do so. It makes sense that travel agents would let their clients know about the change since they stand to lose quite a bit if people don't know about the time limit for transfers.
I don't know that I understand what relieves DCL from notifying customers when they make changes that directly effect their reservations. If I was paid in full it would be different, but in this case Disney is in effect taking money out of my pocket by their policy change. I would expect there to be some sort of grace period or to have people who made their reservations before the policy to be grandfathered into the old policy, but that isn't the case. I never agreed to be bound by this new policy like I would have had the opportunity to do when I booked initially.
benz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
I'm not sure I was clear. I think you can get both the Disney OBC AND the Costco credit if you transfer making it a better offer. I think that's why everyone is upset.
If thats true, then great. It wasn't what motivated me though.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
daisywithak
Mouseketeer

Their new policy also effects the amount of onboard credit you get from travel agents. I just booked a cruise to Alaska with the intention of transferring the booking to Dreams Unlimited. I wanted to book myself the first day it was available because I wanted a specific room. Anyway, then I contacted DU and was informed that I would only get 1/2 of the onboard credit listed on their site because Disney now gives them a reduced commission for transfers. I would have gotten 250 dollars, but now it's 125. I decided against transferring because 125 isn't worth it to me since I would then have to go through them for everything instead of dealing with Disney directly.
daisywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
Sorry I'm lost here ? If Disney is giving an OBC and 10% for booking while on board then why change ? Costco is more?
If you book onboard DCL does give you 10% off cruise cost plus OBC based on the length of your cruise. If you NAME your TA while making your onboard booking, many TAs such as Dreams Unlimited will also give you onboard credit based on the cost of your cruise. Until recently DCL pretty much gave you any length of time before your PIF to transfer your booking to a TA such as costcotravel.com but changed that policy in February. Now you have 30 days from the time of booking to transfer to a TA. Most TAs offer reduced OBC for transferred reservations but with costcotravel.com you could transfer and receive a cash card based on cruise cost.
In May I will be booking onboard and naming Dreams Unlimited as my TA that way I can receive $200 OBC from DCL for my 7 night plus $250 from DU!
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisywithak View Post
Their new policy also effects the amount of onboard credit you get from travel agents. I just booked a cruise to Alaska with the intention of transferring the booking to Dreams Unlimited. I wanted to book myself the first day it was available because I wanted a specific room. Anyway, then I contacted DU and was informed that I would only get 1/2 of the onboard credit listed on their site because Disney now gives them a reduced commission for transfers. I would have gotten 250 dollars, but now it's 125. I decided against transferring because 125 isn't worth it to me since I would then have to go through them for everything instead of dealing with Disney directly.

Wait...what?? Does that effect if yo0u had already booked and paid your deposit before the change?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Wait...what?? Does that effect if yo0u had already booked and paid your deposit before the change?
Did you transfer you reservation before or after the DCL policy change?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
It doesn't matter when you booked and paid your deposit. Which is why this is a scam IMO. People who booked and paid a deposit before the change in the rules should be grandfathered into the old rules that they agreed to when the deposit was made.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #23
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
Sorry I'm lost here ? If Disney is giving an OBC and 10% for booking while on board then why change ? Costco is more?
As another poster has said, you can combine the incentives for booking onboard with the incentives offered by Coscto (and other TAs). Just as an example, I plan to book a Med cruise for next summer while we're on the Fantasy in a few weeks. We will get 10% and a $200 OBC from DCL for booking onboard. At the time of booking, I will designate Costco as the TA. If the price of the cruise is the same as it is now, I will get a $710 cash card from Costco in addition to the DCL incentives. We considered designating a traditional TA, but the largest OBC we'd be eligible for is $400.

Many TAs reduced the amount of OBC for transferred bookings even before this change on DCL's part. If you designate a TA while onboard, the booking is not considered a transfer. If you can not book onboard and your TA of choice offers a reduced OBC for transfers, your best bet is to book through the TA.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
As another poster has said, you can combine the incentives for booking onboard with the incentives offered by Coscto (and other TAs). Just as an example, I plan to book a Med cruise for next summer while we're on the Fantasy in a few weeks. We will get 10% and a $200 OBC from DCL for booking onboard. At the time of booking, I will designate Costco as the TA. If the price of the cruise is the same as it is now, I will get a $710 cash card from Costco in addition to the DCL incentives. We considered designating a traditional TA, but the largest OBC we'd be eligible for is $400.

Many TAs reduced the amount of OBC for transferred bookings even before this change on DCL's part. If you designate a TA while onboard, the booking is not considered a transfer. If you can not book onboard and your TA of choice offers a reduced OBC for transfers, your best bet is to book through the TA.
^^^^THIS. Most TAs already offered usually half of of their regular OBC for transfers. It did not start with the DCL policy change.

For the OP, I'm sorry that you can no longer transfer to Costco, many DISers have tried getting around the new policy and failed. If you really want the costco card then it may be best to cancel and rebook.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa

Thank you for clearing this up. I had partial information, but you answered a question I didn't know how to word.. If you move the date later, do you lose or reduce the amount of the Costco credit/TA OBC?
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #26
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

OP - have you *tried* to transfer the booking over to Costco? I'm sorry if I missed it, however if you haven't, it's worth a shot. Others have had success and some have not. I would at least try it and see what happens. I was right near the 30 day booking window and transferred to Costco right around the date it changed so mine went through. I'm sorry you're disappointed and I hope it works out for you. Yes, the Costco cash card is a big incentive especially when you can combine it with the 10% off and $200 OBC from booking onboard - it's the best of both worlds.

Good luck,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
FabFivePA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz0 View Post
It doesn't matter when you booked and paid your deposit. Which is why this is a scam IMO. People who booked and paid a deposit before the change in the rules should be grandfathered into the old rules that they agreed to when the deposit was made.
I hate to be a stickler, but did they actually 'agree' to this rule, meaning was the transfer ability in writing in the cruise contract?
If it is then they definitely needed to have notified you and honored what was agreed when you made your reservation.

if not, then your reservation was not directly affected, your cruise and everything that comes with it are the same. The credit is through Costco and has nothing to do with Disney. So unfortunately it was a gamble to wait it out 7 months after your reservation was made assuming nothing would change. Since it's nothing that directly affects your reservation, while I understand the frustration, I don't feel it was negligence on Disney's part, or a scam, etc,for them to not send out a general email to everyone who has a reservation just in case they may or may not want to transfer it somewhere along the line, even if your intention was explained when you booked it. Because at that time you would have been able to do it.

Companies change their policies all the time, so if the credit was that much of a priority definitely would've booked it that way from the start and worried about the room placement issue after. If the credit was through Disney and they all of a sudden taken away, then once again definitely that would be an issue. But it's in a gray area where nothing between you and Disney has changed, just the way to deal with third-parties.

If it IS in writing somewhere, then definitely fight it! Sorry this has dampened things for you. And don't mean to stir things up, just giving another point of view. Hope you still go and have a wonderful cruise!
FabFivePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
Thank you for clearing this up. I had partial information, but you answered a question I didn't know how to word.. If you move the date later, do you lose or reduce the amount of the Costco credit/TA OBC?
I was advised, no you don't lose the incentives from booking onboard. We were considering moving our Alaska 2014 to this year if a friend was joining us and I called Costco and asked this very question. Of course they had to call DCL and the pricing that was given to Costco reflected the 10% off and the $200 was still "in there". DCL explained it to me that it's "embedded" in the reservation however I'd always make sure it truly is before moving something and confirming it.

Hope this helps,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic
I was advised, no you don't lose the incentives from booking onboard. We were considering moving our Alaska 2014 to this year if a friend was joining us and I called Costco and asked this very question. Of course they had to call DCL and the pricing that was given to Costco reflected the 10% off and the $200 was still "in there". DCL explained it to me that it's "embedded" in the reservation however I'd always make sure it truly is before moving something and confirming it.

Hope this helps,
Heather
Thank you so much!
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis

Did you transfer you reservation before or after the DCL policy change?
I didn't transfer anything. I just booked the cruise through DU which had an OBC. But someone said they had to offer less now so I wondered if that effected me.

Tags
screwed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: