Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
benz0
Earning My Ears

Angry DCL Policy Changed With out Notice

I'm frustrated today because I just found out that DCL changed their policy on moving bookings with out notifying me.

I booked a cruise on Disney Fantasy back in May with the understanding that I could move the booking to Costco after. I did it this way because we are traveling with family and we wanted to get rooms close to our family, but not everyone in the family is a Costco member. The idea was to move the booking to Costco after we got our tax refund and then just pay the remainder of the trip. We got our refund yesterday and called today to get details on moving the booking, but DCL told me that their policy has changed, and now you have to move your booking with in 30 days of booking the trip. This policy was made in February and we were not notified. So now DCL is refusing to allow us to move our reservation.

I feel like this is dishonest at best and I'm really frustrated about it. DCL is unwilling to bend on this even though we explained what we intended to do when we booked the trip. Do anyone have any tips to get around this?
benz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

If you're not in the cancellation phase, you can cancel and rebook. But, if the price has increased, you're out of luck
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
benz0
Earning My Ears

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post
If you're not in the cancellation phase, you can cancel and rebook. But, if the price has increased, you're out of luck
That was given to us as an option, but they can't promise that we'll be able to get the same room, which defeats the purpose of booking through DCL at the beginning.

I'm pretty disenfranchised by this and I'm considering just canceling the entire trip. The change in policy with out notice and the inflexibility in handling the situation make me not want to give them any more money.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
networktek
it all started with a mouse

That policy is only going to affect people that are trying to change there reservation to a travel agent the policy came out on feb 1 that was what we were told when we book our rebook on the dream on feb 17 sailing.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by networktek View Post
That policy is only going to affect people that are trying to change there reservation to a travel agent the policy came out on feb 1 that was what we were told when we book our rebook on the dream on feb 17 sailing.
In this case the travel agent would be Costco. I wish they had given me a heads up before the policy was changed.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

If you don't/can't move the booking to Costco is there some sort of a loss to you? OBC or discounts?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarasc View Post
If you don't/can't move the booking to Costco is there some sort of a loss to you? OBC or discounts?
Costco gives a generous cash card for DCL cruises, generally 8-10% of the cruise fare. You get the card after you return from the cruise. Several people here have posted that they had the card within a week of returning, and some have said that they were able to redeem the card for cash at Costco.

Someone posted here about the change right before it took effect. She had been notified by her travel agent. There was a lot of discussion about it at the time, but the consensus seemed to be that although it would have been nice if DCL had announced the change, they were under no obligation to do so. It makes sense that travel agents would let their clients know about the change since they stand to lose quite a bit if people don't know about the time limit for transfers.

To the OP, I totally understand your disappointment. The only thing I can suggest is that you try sending a transfer form to DCL and see what happens.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
AmyAnne
Mouseketeer

I was in the same position last week. It is infuriating.

For me, cancelling wasn't an option because we are travelling with extended family and I couldn't do that to everyone else. But I did really resent making that final payment to Disney after what seems to me to be their dishonest behavior. It does take away from the magic and really does make me less excited about this cruise. I am hoping that feeling will pass.

PS I sent the transfer form anyway, I called Costco, Costco called DCL, I called DCL, and still no exception to the new policy.

Last edited by AmyAnne; 03-02-2013 at 12:28 PM.
AmyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
Costco gives a generous cash card for DCL cruises, generally 8-10% of the cruise fare. You get the card after you return from the cruise. Several people here have posted that they had the card within a week of returning, and some have said that they were able to redeem the card for cash at Costco.

Someone posted here about the change right before it took effect. She had been notified by her travel agent. There was a lot of discussion about it at the time, but the consensus seemed to be that although it would have been nice if DCL had announced the change, they were under no obligation to do so. It makes sense that travel agents would let their clients know about the change since they stand to lose quite a bit if people don't know about the time limit for transfers.

To the OP, I totally understand your disappointment. The only thing I can suggest is that you try sending a transfer form to DCL and see what happens.
Sorry I'm lost here ? If Disney is giving an OBC and 10% for booking while on board then why change ? Costco is more?

mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
Sorry I'm lost here ? If Disney is giving an OBC and 10% for booking while on board then why change ? Costco is more?
What is an OBC? Sorry if thats a dumb question, I'm new to this forum.

AFAIK the cost is the same with Costco and they would give me close to $400 to spend at Costco. I'd spend that money at Costco anyway, so I consider this a considerable loss to me. Disney didn't have a comparable offer when I booked.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000

I THINK they can keep the Disney offers and combine them with the Costco offer if they transfer. I believe I read that somewhere on here.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz0

What is an OBC? Sorry if thats a dumb question, I'm new to this forum.

AFAIK the cost is the same with Costco and they would give me close to $400 to spend at Costco. I'd spend that money at Costco anyway, so I consider this a considerable loss to me. Disney didn't have a comparable offer when I booked.
Onboard credit.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
I THINK they can keep the Disney offers and combine them with the Costco offer if they transfer. I believe I read that somewhere on here.
I don't know if thats true or not, it doesn't matter to me though. The value of the Costco credit > OBC for me.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
benz0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
Onboard credit.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz0

I don't know if thats true or not, it doesn't matter to me though. The value of the Costco credit > OBC for me.
I'm not sure I was clear. I think you can get both the Disney OBC AND the Costco credit if you transfer making it a better offer. I think that's why everyone is upset.

Tags
screwed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: