Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
gcoolie
I do believe in fairies!

Stand Up Paddle Boarding

We have wanted to attempt this for a couple of years and never really had the chance.

Has anyone paddle boarded on the western caribbean itinerary? Grand Cayman, Cozumel, or Costa Maya?

Or... do you paddle board? Is this really difficult and might be too hard to try for a first time on an excursion?

Thanks!

gcoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

We were on the Dream in January and they had the SUPs at Castaway Cay! They were available to rent and we all took turns using them, it was a perfect way to try them out!

And not very expensive!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5
We were on the Dream in January and they had the SUPs at Castaway Cay! They were available to rent and we all took turns using them, it was a perfect way to try them out!

And not very expensive!
I didn't know they had paddle boards on castaway cay... I might have to rent one... Do you remember how much
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoolie View Post
We have wanted to attempt this for a couple of years and never really had the chance.

Has anyone paddle boarded on the western caribbean itinerary? Grand Cayman, Cozumel, or Costa Maya?

Or... do you paddle board? Is this really difficult and might be too hard to try for a first time on an excursion?

Thanks!
Have not done it in the caribbean but I own one. Took about 10 minutes to get it, after that it is pretty easy.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
I didn't know they had paddle boards on castaway cay... I might have to rent one... Do you remember how much
I can not remember at all, it was a little more than the kayak, but not much at all, maybe $15 thinks my DH?

It was super easy to get the hang of, and a fun way to spend our last hour at CC!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Weedy
DIS Veteran

I really want to do this. I checked Port Adventures and did not see it. Were you able to book in advance? Did they have lots of boards? Do you know if was available at Serenity Bay (the adult beach)? I've done this one time it was so much fun can't wait to do it again.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

We did not book in advance, we just walked up to the boat rental area and asked for one. They showed us how to use it and off we went. It was towards the end of the day, like 3:00pm or so. I don't remember how many they had and I don't go to Serenity Beach (we have 5 kids, lol)

HTH!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
gcoolie
I do believe in fairies!

That's good news about Castaway Cay. I'll look into that. Also glad to hear its not too hard to get the hang of. Thanks!

gcoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We did not book in advance, we just walked up to the boat rental area and asked for one. They showed us how to use it and off we went. It was towards the end of the day, like 3:00pm or so. I don't remember how many they had and I don't go to Serenity Beach (we have 5 kids, lol)

HTH!
Do they rent them by the hour or for the day. Also, do you recall the pricing?
Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
manhattanman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post

And not very expensive!
Really? I was looking for a place to try it and before we went ( the end of January) and was told no. I certainly didn't see any, but I would have sought it out had I known. Does Disney advertise this?

We had a great time nonetheless but the sup would have been cool.
manhattanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

I have heard conflicting results on them being there. My daughter and I live to paddle board. There is no information on the DCL sight so I'm confused if we can rent them. People say they have... It would make our May trip wonderful if we could rent one
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Hi all,

I am 100% sure they had them we were there. They didn't advertise it, we just walked up to the rental area to try the big water trikes and the guy told us that we should try the SUP, so we did.

I have great pictures of my son on it with the Dream behind him, but I have no idea how to post a picture.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi all,

I am 100% sure they had them we were there. They didn't advertise it, we just walked up to the rental area to try the big water trikes and the guy told us that we should try the SUP, so we did.

I have great pictures of my son on it with the Dream behind him, but I have no idea how to post a picture.
Do you recall if it was by the hour and if so about how much?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

They rented for 30 minutes or an hour, but didn't time us and we only got charged the minimum amount (probably because it was towards the end of the day). I have no idea what it cost. We were going to rent a few trikes, but instead we did 2 kayaks, the SUP, and a trike. So, I know I wouldn't have done it if it was much more expensive than the kayak etc. So it was probably pretty reasonable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: