Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

If you have spotty wi-fi service, the chromebook may limit you a little. It may be worth it to have an external harddrive to store things on. Because when you can't get to the internet, you can't get to your files stored on the cloud.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
If you have spotty wi-fi service, the chromebook may limit you a little. It may be worth it to have an external harddrive to store things on. Because when you can't get to the internet, you can't get to your files stored on the cloud.
Please excuse my complete ignorance on this subject, but wouldn't that be the same with any laptop? If I use my current laptop at home with our great wifi, I am good to go. If I use it while waiting for my son to finish up at drama, it is spotty and I stand a 50/50 chance of getting/staying connected. When it is a bad connection, I just read a book I have loaded up or play a game. Would the Chromebook be any different?

Last edited by LisaR; 03-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I realise that many here will be perplexed as to why I bought up Ubuntu at all. Well, the OP was inquiring about an alternate laptop choice and Ubuntu fits that category neatly. It's a system dear to my heart for being lightning fast, extremely secure, blindingly pretty and fully featured, more so than the Chrome OS. As The Times put it, "My Ubuntu setup is faster than a PC and prettier than a Mac". I just wanted to show the OP that she wasn't tied down to Chrome if she needed a cheap alternative system and that there were better choices out there.

So yeah. Errors on my behalf indeed!
No need to apologize, or duck out, in my opinion. I have never heard of Ubuntu, but Chrome book has been highly advertised. I am interested in finding a laptop that is more affordable then the "standard" laptops, that will do the things I need. I am a pretty minor user- I don't even store photos on my laptop or have a camera that would let me do this- so it's hard to shell out $500+ if there are cheaper options that will meet my needs.

I appreciate EVERYONE'S input! Thanks!!

ETA: My husband just told me that Ubuntu is Linux-based. I don't know what that means, but he was pleased with it!

Last edited by leebee; 03-02-2013 at 07:42 PM.
leebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Please excuse my complete ignorance on this subject, but wouldn't that be the same with any laptop? If I use my current laptop at home with our great wifi, I am good to go. If I use it while waiting for my son to finish up at drama, it is spotty and I stand a 50/50 chance of getting/staying connected. When it is a bad connection, I just read a book I have loaded up or play a game. Would the Chromebook be any different?
I think Stitch was referring to the fact that if you are doing any type of word processing or document based use you would have to have guaranteed wifi or purchase the external hard drive. Whereas of you had a regular laptop you can use the already in place internal hard drive wherever you are without wifi for documents, etc.

Personally I don't really do any word processing or any use of windows, etc. I basically just want something to be able to view Hulu web only content and allow my son to log into his school assigned Dream Box account in order to practice his math skills at home.
Malibustyle23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: