Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #61
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye218

Never said it didn't exist. I've seen it too, only to a much lesser extent. And in my opinion, income level does have some correlation to such behavior. Obviously this is painting with a broad brush and there are many exceptions, but that doesn't mean there isn't any correlation, either.
I happen to agree with you. I personally haven't seen any falling down drunk people on DCL, but I will believe people who say they have. We took a quick 4 nighter our of New Orleans a few years back and the party atmosphere really turned us off. The difference in between that 4 nighter and a Disney one was night and day. Wow. Our child was scared to leave our side. We sat in a very well used hot tub and heard guests say that the New Orleans cruise was a trip of a lifetime and they were really going to live it up and by that I guess they meant drink it up. On our first Disney 4 nighter, we thought it was going to be our one and only, trip of a lifetime cruise with Disney because of the $$$. We knew there was a huge price diff between DCZl and other cruiselines which we liked just fine before under. Disney blew us away. That one trip has led us to 8 overall with a 9th planned this summer.

I want them to keep doing what they're doing and not go the "other" cruise line routes.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #62
truck1
Growing older but not up.

This may help shed some light on what a cruiseline does.

When a cruiseline starts a new itinerary, it usually an smaller vessel that is sent. In DCLs case, its the Magic. Theres a few reasons why, but primarily its the size of the ship.

When a cruiseline tries out a port, theres a lot of uncertainty. (I had this discussion with my son last night). They arent going to send a 4000 room ship somewhere if they arent sure of the demand. So they send a smaller ship to test the waters. If it works out, great. If not, as in the case of Galveston, DCL wasnt trying to fill a 4000 passenger ship, they had a 2500 passenger ship, so there was some safety factor built in so the ship would make money, as opposed to sending say the Dream there, and losing money because of the lack of passengers onboard. (Its easier to fill the smaller ships plain and simple)

2nd, is that the smaller ship may have outgrown the current port. Say PC for instance. If DCL was selling out say 95% of its cruises year round,(Im just making up the number) on the Magic class ships, it would make sense to put the bigger ships there to
A. Satisfy guest demand,
B. Give DCL the option to try something new. In this case, DCL tried Galveston. Unfortunately it didnt work (At least it looks like it didnt).

I think what we are seeing is DCLs attempt to find new homes for the Magic class.

DCL most likely has a 5 year 10 year and 20 year plan. When Mexico started having issues, and the Middle East threw a monkey wrench in to the Med plans, DCL was forced to find places for the Magic class to go, and accelerate the plans. Alot of this is probably earlier then DCL would have liked.

3 ships at Port Canaveral for example. The Dream and Magic are basically sharing the same itin. It worked for Carnival. A ship in Miami for half the year. (Granted the itins are the best, but DCL can guage the likelyhood of guests traveling to Miami. )

I think in the 2015 itinerary well probably see more wide spread carribean itins.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #63
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paults View Post
he used to be a bus driver at Disneyworld
You are naughty!!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #64
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I'm really hoping you're right about expanding itineraries in 2015. We booked a dummy date onboard that we hope to move to spring break 2015 on the Fantasy, but the two options for the 7 day cruises hold zero appeal for me. We love DCL, but there are other cruiselines doing so much nicer routes for so much less money that we may jump ship if our only options are Mexico/Grand Cayman or St Maartin/St Thomas.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #65
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
I'm really hoping you're right about expanding itineraries in 2015. We booked a dummy date onboard that we hope to move to spring break 2015 on the Fantasy, but the two options for the 7 day cruises hold zero appeal for me. We love DCL, but there are other cruiselines doing so much nicer routes for so much less money that we may jump ship if our only options are Mexico/Grand Cayman or St Maartin/St Thomas.
However, they still sell. DCL has a problem with the dream, specially in low season, and should try to target more towards resort guests.

Now, what happened with NY? They did extremely well specially going south. I understand that Canada pets were too expensive, but why not sail from Baltimore for example and go to Bermuda?
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #66
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/04/01/...hip-and-ports/
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #67
DopeyzGoofy
Earning My Ears

Look carefully at the date of the blog, it was posted on April 1st
DopeyzGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #68
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Thought it was well written though. Would be really cool.
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

Last edited by PaceFamily; 03-12-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #69
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

To sum this up, the link below is a listing of cruise ships on order up to 2016. This includes the ship yard that built Disneys last two ships.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cr...orderbook.html
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

Old 03-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #70
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
To sum this up, the link below is a listing of cruise ships on order up to 2016. This includes the ship yard that built Disneys last two ships.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cr...orderbook.html
If Disney was building two more ships other than the Dream/Fantasy Additional Ship Option, It would be a delivery of 2017-2018... this is a slow process.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #71
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Bottom of the article lists companies with options. Disney does not have any listed. Not an expert here, but doesn't look like anything on the horizon. Would love to see what Disney does. Ships are getting older and may be time to upgrade.

*Viking Ocean has an additional two ships on order without delivery dates, and an announced option for two more.

**Norwegian has a one-ship option on this order, for delivery in spring 2017.

***Royal Caribbean has an additional one ship option on its third Oasis-class ship due from STX France for delivery in 2016. The option calls for a second ship, delivered in 2018, and expires in late 2013.
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #72
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceFamily View Post
Would love to see what Disney does. Ships are getting older and may be time to upgrade.
Cruise ships are designed to last the cruise line at least 30 years... The magic is only 15. She has at least 15 more years with Disney to go.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #73
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
When a cruiseline starts a new itinerary, it usually an smaller vessel that is sent. In DCLs case, its the Magic. Theres a few reasons why, but primarily its the size of the ship.
When a cruiseline tries out a port, theres a lot of uncertainty.
Give DCL the option to try something new. In this case, DCL tried Galveston. Unfortunately it didnt work (At least it looks like it didnt).
I think what we are seeing is DCLs attempt to find new homes for the Magic class.
Ships at Port Canaveral for example. The Dream and Magic are basically sharing the same itin. It worked for Carnival. A ship in Miami for half the year. (Granted the itins are the best, but DCL can guage the likelyhood of guests traveling to Miami. )
I think if DCL would have used Port Tampa instead of Galveston....that itin would have worked very well.....and also right up I-4 about 1 hour and 30 minutes WDW would have come in to play.......filling up Disneys pocket-book even more......It's not to late DCL...wake up. Who wants to travel 4.5 hrs. from WDW down to Miami for a cruise. I am not.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #74
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Now Inside the Magic is reporting it....

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...jor-makeovers/

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #75
huffjoann
DIS Veteran

hmm,,, just me or does anyone else worry if they get too many boats things may wind up "out of order" like Carnival?

Pop Century 6/10; All Star Movies 6/11; off property 11/11; Dream 5/24/12 3 night;
Dream 5/26/13 4 night; Magic TBA
huffjoann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: