Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #31
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Back in 2000 DCL had announced internally that they were building 2 new ships. Right after 911 the idea was scrapped. The plans still exist. The Dream class is a hybrid of the Magic class and the unnamed class. The inbetween un named class was to be bigger then the Magic but smaller then the Dream . DCL also has options to build 2 more add on ships of the Dream class. This came from Joe Lacisero who actually designed the Dream class and spoke on the inaugural of the Fantasy. Bob Iger was also there and during the qa basically said no new ships until they get a feel for the market and how DCL as a whole is doing. I wouldn't expect any new DCL ships for at least another year or two. At least the annoucement.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

i've only been on the Dream once, but it felt much less stable to me than the Wonder....
did anyone else have that experience?

for the above reason, i'd be happy to see them take a bit off the height of any new ships they build (or make it even wider to more offset the height)...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #33
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Queen 2
I hope that if/when Disney builds more ships they will go with the classic line to replace the Magic/Wonder. Personally I prefer the smaller, less crowded feel of the original ships.
I'm with you. If DCL ever "improves" themselves out of having Magic class or similar size/quality ships, they've lost my business. I can get the crowds, lines, and general chaos of an amusement park at Disneyland for much cheaper than what they ask for on the Dream and Fantasy, plus no airfare costs.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #34
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family
i've only been on the Dream once, but it felt much less stable to me than the Wonder....
did anyone else have that experience?

for the above reason, i'd be happy to see them take a bit off the height of any new ships they build (or make it even wider to more offset the height)...
Having been on both the Magic class ships and the Fantasy I don't see any real difference in stability. What will make things seem different is the sea state and how the ships are orientated to it.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husurdady View Post
DLC need to come out with the Walmart policy....."we will match prices".........don't you think?
Absolutely Not!! AT the risk of sounding elitist, keeping the prices where they are helps to ensure that the stereotypical booze cruise value crowd keeps to other lower-priced lines. I prefer the more refined, family-friendly clientele I usually see on DCL.
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieEstaAqui View Post
We're just off of the Magic yesterday. On the last evening of our cruise, Austin told our party that Disney had given the OK to crew members to confirm the rumors that Disney is adding two new ships to her fleet. I hadn't heard this rumor. Does anyone know more about this? I asked Austin what the timeline was or if he knew where they might be placed, and he couldn't say for sure. I'd heard nothing about this prior to talking to him, but I'm sure someone on here could shed some light...?
I did some research and I believe this rumor is true. They say that the new ships will be named... (wait for it)... Dream and Fantasy. LOL
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Having met Austin and talked to him on our cruise a couple of weeks ago, I would say his confirming a rumor could be true, or it could be him just teasing. He has a really dry sense of humor when you talk with him. Only once did I get him to say something to me in a serious tone, and even then I wasn't sure if he was truly serious or just kidding.
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
Same route, or different? The crossing of the Gulf stream out of Port Canaveral is one of the 'rougher' rides in the normal cruise rotations...obviously it's nothing to compare to something like the Drake Passage, but if you compare Dream out of Orlando to an Inside Passage route to Alaska on Wonder, the 'feel' of Dream is going to be less stable. That's not the ship, though, it's the route.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #39
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieEstaAqui View Post
I asked Austin what the timeline was or if he knew where they might be placed, and he couldn't say for sure.
Omaha!
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #40
shrinkingmoody
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye218

Absolutely Not!! AT the risk of sounding elitist, keeping the prices where they are helps to ensure that the stereotypical booze cruise value crowd keeps to other lower-priced lines. I prefer the more refined, family-friendly clientele I usually see on DCL.
Elitist or not - this is exactly why we chose DCL for our very first cruise - we are cruising with our three year old and didn't want a party ship. I know other cruise lines offer kids activities too but when it came down to it we figured this would be the better for for us.

PS - sailing in the Dream in May but looking forward to trying an older ship based on the love for them expressed here.

shrinkingmoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

we heard this last May when we were on the Fantasy.

someone else said Disney needs permission first at the ship yard to build the ships... doesnt mean they actually will.

I hope they do, I enjoy sailing on different ships!!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #42
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye218 View Post
Problem is, that family clientele belongs to the upper-middle to upper class at Disney's current prices. And on both my Disney cruises, it didn't make them all that more "refined".

Competition is good for business and the consumer. It wouldn't hurt the company to broaden out. As it is, the lower prices on the classics--while not that much cheaper--seem to be allowing more folks who couldn't afford DCL the chance to try out the line. And impressed customers will come back for more, and will likely be willing to pay more for newer product. As it is, as much as I adore and prefer DCL, my family just can't afford the Fantasy. For the same itinerary on a relatively new ship on RCCL, I can get a jr. suite for $1K less on the same sail date. My family wants to treat my nephew for his HS graduation next year--but as much as we want it to be Disney, we can't afford it. We're going to Alaska this year for the same price.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #43
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic3forme
we heard this last May when we were on the Fantasy.

someone else said Disney needs permission first at the ship yard to build the ships... doesnt mean they actually will.

I hope they do, I enjoy sailing on different ships!!
They won't need the shipyard permission. All DCL would have to do is to call and say we are exercising our option for 1 or 2 ships then take a number in line. Meyer has a few ships in the line now. I think at least 2 for NCL and 2 for RCL not counting Aida.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #44
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

I think it may be possible that DCL has Imagineer designed plans and they may start talking with shipyards now. But even if they are starting the process now, it'll be about 5 years... I remember an interview right after the Fantasy was launched and they said that DCl has blueprints for more ships but were going to wait until they got a good feeling about the Fantasy before they build another...

Besides the magic and wonder, DCL uses Imagineers to design ships and interior spaces, then hands off the designs to the shipyard who will have an actual naval architect look at the designs and make changes as necessary, Moving a pole here, making the superstructure narrower, etc.

In short, I could see DCl starting conversations with shipyards, but ships are many years off...

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #45
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I remember reading that Disney had the OPTION to build 2 more ships at the shipyard where the Dream and Fantasy were built.

That doesn't mean they'll use the option.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: