Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by denamo View Post
It would be surprising if the Magic was slated to be sold since it is scheduled for dry dock this fall.
Dry dock is always part of any ships normal maintance and has nothing to do with it being sold or not.
Also it takes years to build a new ship to replace others .........

mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paults View Post
he used to be a bus driver at Disneyworld
I almost spat out my coffee.

This is directed at "Austin" and not the OP: What the heck is confirming rumors anyway? Either it's true or not true. If you confirm a rumor, it's still a rumor.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
tajz90
Mama D

All cruise lines offer huge discounts during off season not just Disney.

Recently I priced a Christmas cruise on Carnival Magic and was shocked to see that it was actually more than what I paid for the Fantasy Christmas cruise.

I like that Disney has a small fleet. I would rather not see them add ships.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
Maybe on some of the Magic and Wonder sailings they have discounts. What kind of offers have you seen on the Dream and Fantasy?
The Dream/Fantasy offer IGT, OGt and VGT rates fairly often (not every cruise, but the ones that don't seem to be selling as quickly as they would like).

I just got off the Dream 4 night cruise on a VGT rate of $1300 for 2 adults with a verandah...much less than the regular rate.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

We did a KSF out of Galveston. It was our first cruise and we loved it but based on our budget I couldn't justify another DCL vacation unless there was a KSF or other type of promotion. I am watching diligently for another offer and will jump on it when it becomes available. If the overall prices were slightly less or more competitive with other cruise lines I would bet there would be less issues with ships not being full.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I wonder if this is a reference to replacing the classic ships. Yes, they are beautiful and in great shape, but they are getting older by industry standards. And if they started building new ships this year, it would still be a few years before the new ships were launched, so current dry docks for the old ships would just be part of routine maintenance. The old ships aren't the money cows for the company that the new ships are. Almost all the discounts are on the older ships and the company seems to be juggling them around to try to get maximum dollar from them. All they seem to need to do is keep the two new ships running on the same loops from Port Canaveral and they mostly fill up for big money. We just sailed on the Dream for the first time and my husband and I agreed that it would be hard to go back to the Wonder or Magic after experiencing the new ships, especially for the same price. So for Disney, I could see them wanting a fleet of all new ships.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
Maybe on some of the Magic and Wonder sailings they have discounts. What kind of offers have you seen on the Dream and Fantasy?
There were amazing FL rates for our Dream cruise last November.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
disprincess4ever
Mouseketeer

In 5 years the magic will be 20 years old and the Wonder 19. At that time I could see Disney having new ships to replace them. But at the current time I think their just looking into their future and planning.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #24
Evil Queen 2
Mouseketeer

I hope that if/when Disney builds more ships they will go with the classic line to replace the Magic/Wonder. Personally I prefer the smaller, less crowded feel of the original ships. But I agree that it probably still very much in the "sometime in the future" talk stages.
Evil Queen 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
Husurdady
Dad-2-4 Dh-2-1 of 45yrs.

DLC need to come out with the Walmart policy....."we will match prices".........don't you think?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #26
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
In 5 years the magic will be 20 years old and the Wonder 19. At that time I could see Disney having new ships to replace them. But at the current time I think their just looking into their future and planning.
How old are cruise ships when they are retired? The 23 year old Carnival Fantasy is still sailing.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Personally, I don't see DCL replacing the classic ships until they are closer to 30 years old.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

I saw on a TV special about cruise ships that the average lifespan of a cruise ship is expected to be 30 years of regular service. With all the investment that goes into building these things, I'd doubt they'd want them replaceable in only 20 years. I sincerely doubt the Magic and Wonder are going to be sold or retired any time soon.

As for new ships, it'd be silly to think that they haven't already begun the planning stages for future ships. You can plan a ship without purchasing one, I'm sure. A previous poster mentioned that the original plan was for 10 ships. Frankly, if Disney wants to keep their repeat cruisers, they need to begin offering more--which I see plenty of threads on these boards calling out for. With more ships, I'm sure they could offer more options. As for troubles filling them--I certainly do not notice this problem. The discounts generally are only found in the off-season, which all cruise lines offer. Since Disney is targeted primarily at families, of course the off-season itineraries would have a hard time being sold due to the school year.

My issue is that the prices are just astronomical. Yes, the service, amenities, and atmosphere are high-quality... but for the same basic itineraries, it's crazy how much they're upcharging for the new ships. I just priced a June Fantasy cruise for next year and it's more money for an inside than what I paid for an outside Alaskan trip on the Wonder for this year. However, I also checked RCCL for the same time for the same itinerary, and the prices aren't much different at all--for their newer ships. Of course Disney would probably want to continue that demand for "new" by introducing another ship in the next several years.

This article talks about RCCL's upcoming new ships--smaller than the Oasis class--which took 3 years to design. They'll be coming out in the next 2 years. Their latest ship, Allure, debuted in 2010. That's a new ship, at their current rate, of every 4-5 years. The Dream debuted in 2011. If DCL follows the same model, it wouldn't be surprising to see another new ship in 2016.

I'm sure the big fleets can fill their ships because of the competitive pricing and the variety of itineraries. If DCL has any problem filling their ships, it's because of they lack both of those. Their "new" itineraries tend to be limited and only offered at off-season times. That excludes many families, and those of us with limited time off. I say that more ships for DCL is a good idea.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #29
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

On our NYE cruise, our tablemates who had sailed quite a bit and had friends high up in Guest services said they were told there were 2 new ships to be built soon. They were unable to get anyone else to confirm so they dropped it. I thought it was just someone repeating a "wish" but maybe there is something to it.

Captain Tom did talk about the cruise line going to Asia and more Hawaii trips. But I agree that Disney will need to figure out how to be more competitive in pricing before building a bigger fleet. I feel they have tapped out the upper middle income segment for their cruises and need to appeal to a broader middle income segment before expanding.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #30
jlemieu1
Mouseketeer

For the two classic ships, one will end up in Europe and the other in Asia. Both of those markets are used to older ships.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: