Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
AngieEstaAqui
Mouseketeer

Disney adding two new ships?

We're just off of the Magic yesterday. On the last evening of our cruise, Austin told our party that Disney had given the OK to crew members to confirm the rumors that Disney is adding two new ships to her fleet. I hadn't heard this rumor. Does anyone know more about this? I asked Austin what the timeline was or if he knew where they might be placed, and he couldn't say for sure. I'd heard nothing about this prior to talking to him, but I'm sure someone on here could shed some light...?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
JennandJaryd
Mouseketeer

Wow. Can't wait to hear more!
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
OrlandoDisneyFan
Mouseketeer

I would be absolutely shocked (and as a stockholder, very upset) if Disney was ordering two new ships when they can not fill the ones they have now without resorting to multiple (and deep) discounts.

Unless, of course, they have found buyers for the Dream and Fantasty and are replacing them with smaller ships....but we all know thats not happening.

It is going to take them a while to pay for $2 Billion dollars worth of new ships, especially when they have to deeply discount all cruises except the summer and holiday ones to try to get close to capacity.

Also, I don't think Disney would 'release' this information through the Castmembers on the ships.
OrlandoDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Um, who is Austin?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoDisneyFan View Post
I would be absolutely shocked (and as a stockholder, very upset) if Disney was ordering two new ships when they can not fill the ones they have now without resorting to multiple (and deep) discounts.

Unless, of course, they have found buyers for the Dream and Fantasty and are replacing them with smaller ships....but we all know thats not happening.

It is going to take them a while to pay for $2 Billion dollars worth of new ships, especially when they have to deeply discount all cruises except the summer and holiday ones to try to get close to capacity.

Also, I don't think Disney would 'release' this information through the Castmembers on the ships.
Deep discounts? Maybe $3500 for 3 people seems like a discount only because the $$5800 Summer price tag is so ridiculously overpriced to begin with. And that's just for an inside stateroom. They're not filling up because they're too expensive. But, as far as the thread subject is concerned........I say rubbish.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
firemantnt52
Earning My Ears

When we were on the Magic in April a officer stated that there were blue prints for two new ships. He said he was not sure when they were going to start the build.
The way I put it anything is possible with Disney and maybe some new ports to come also.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

New ships aren't built overnight. More than anything, Disney knows how to make money. I wouldn't be totally shocked. Borrowing money now is cheap -- maybe they will. I hope it is a smaller ship this time.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemantnt52 View Post
When we were on the Magic in April a officer stated that there were blue prints for two new ships. He said he was not sure when they were going to start the build.
The way I put it anything is possible with Disney and maybe some new ports to come also.
They could easily have blueprints...Disney has lots of blueprints that never get used.

THey are def in no ways ready for new ships. Untill they figure out the four. Personally I don't really know if they will ever need more than 4 ships at one time.

One day they will need more when the Magic and Wonder are completley done but they still have years left.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Was on the Dream earlier this week and at the return cruiser party Captain Henry said DCL is always looking for new itineraries but did not mention any new ships or even hint at it.

When DCL was first announced their original business plan was for 10 ships.

Captain Henry did talk about how their original business plan set in stone was to only do 3/4 day Bahamas cruises for the Magic and it did not take long for that to change so he said anything is possible with DCL.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
AngieEstaAqui
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Um, who is Austin?
Don't know his "official" title, but he hosted the first half of sailaway, Tea with Alice, the Animator's Palate show, the Until We Meet Again show, etc. He was all over the ship, always on a mic of some sort.

But, just to clarify the conversation we had with him: he wasn't "releasing" information, as such. His words were just that he had been given permission to confirm that the rumors of two new ships were true. It wasn't as if he was waving banners, yelling, "Hear ye, Hear ye!" And it was a private conversation, not a comment over a PA system.

I agree regarding not being able to fill the ships they have. I am simply passing on an interesting conversation and looking for a bit of insight that I hoped DIS members might be able to provide.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe on some of the Magic and Wonder sailings they have discounts. What kind of offers have you seen on the Dream and Fantasy?

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
paults
HOME IS WHERE BWV IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Um, who is Austin?
he used to be a bus driver at Disneyworld
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
Maybe on some of the Magic and Wonder sailings they have discounts. What kind of offers have you seen on the Dream and Fantasy?
GT rates often come out after the paid in full date. They did on our Fantasy sailing on April 27. Don't know about the Dream but I think this is true on the Fantasy. It stinks to pay so much for your cruise and then watch others get to go for so much less. But we wanted adjoining cabins so we paid the high price for them rather than taking our chances to wait for the reduced fares.

I love DCL but when DH and I go alone, without the extended family, we choose another line for the price and itineraries.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
mickey2000
Pin trader

Quote:

If two new ships were made it would be perfect timing to sell the Magic and Wonder as they will be at the age when other cruise lines retire their ships!
Things do change over time with newer technology. AS for deep discounts that's a JOKE Opps! forgot about the FREE soda I pay for with higher prices! Even at a discount I can still go on a Celebrity cruise cheaper !!

Last edited by mickey2000; 03-02-2013 at 09:06 AM.
mickey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
denamo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
If two new ships were made it would be perfect timing to sell the Magic and Wonder as they will be at the age when other cruise lines retire their ships!
Things do change over time with newer technology. AS for deep discounts that's a JOKE Opps! forgot about the FREE soda I pay for with higher prices! Even at a discount I can still go on a Celebrity cruise cheaper !!
It would be surprising if the Magic was slated to be sold since it is scheduled for dry dock this fall.
denamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: