Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Leigh123
DIS Veteran

Trails End Reviews Please

Every year, I say...."we should go over to Fort Wilderness and look around", but we never do...now I am wondering if I should make a dinner ADR for Trails End....reviews please, thanks in advance...FYI dinner buffets sometimes kick in my germ phobia....
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
SergeantDad
Earning My Ears

I've eaten there and was satisfied. The biggest negative is the transportation system at Ft. Wilderness. The food is the same as the HDDR. Taking the boat is much better than driving there or the buses in my opinion. I booked this restaurant for a large family trip that had a party of 14 people. I booked this because it was last minute, but my family said this was one of their favorite meals. The family included infants up to 60 year olds and all were happy with food and service. Ft. Wilderness is charming and I'm actually returning there in May for HDDR.
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

We ate there last month. It was so good we went twice! Really I was impressed. There are many more options than HDDR. Pretty much everyone knows the fried chiceken and BQ ribs are good, but there is much more than that too. I liked the cold salads (and Im not usually a fan of cold salads.) They had pell and eat shrimp too...if you like that sort of thing. The baked potatoe bar was good. I liked the pulled pork that was on the potato bar instead of messing with the BBQ ribs. The corn bread was really good too. The veggies on the buffet were cooked just right and tasty. The overall food choices and food quality were very good.
The biggest surprise to me was the red velvet cake tasted so good, it was the quality you would get at a good table service restaurant and pay $8 a slice for. It was really yummy. There were other dessert choices too.
I also liked that they had sweet tea here.
I'm a big fan now! We'll definately go again. We stayed at the Fort making it easy for us last month, but next time we'll go out of our way to go back.
Maybe make a night out of it and go to the campfire while you're there. It's way better than the campfire at the other resorts.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
ppiew
DIS Veteran

though it is certainly non-gourmet, I think it is one of the best bargains at WDW especially with families. Lots of choices, very casual/laid back atmosphere, and play area outside, plus gift shop not far away. Been there several times with granddaughter and will go back for sure.
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

We've never had lunch or dinner there but have had breakfast and it was very good
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

We have eaten there

for breakfast lunch and dinner. We love the breakfast and dinner buffets! The food haas always been hot and fresh and tasty. They are usually never crowded except for holidays when people can't get in anywhere else but once they try it it becomes a must do and the prices for a buffet are the best at Disney!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
SergeantDad
Earning My Ears

The PP is right, there are more choices than the HDDR. What I meant was that it is the same quality as they're prepared in the same kitchen. They are on two halves if the same building. It is not a luxury experience by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Also remember that this isn't a buffet like you find at home - it's a Disney Buffett. Much cleaner and better quality food.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Leigh123
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much, I think we will give it a try....I was worried it would be like a golden coral or something...I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give me their feedback...
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Our Ratings of Trails End: (rev 12/11/12)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: D
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The above ratings are for breakfast and dinner, which have
good, tasty comfort food. We like them both as dining alternatives,
as they are reasonably priced for Disney meals. Lunch, however,
is far, far behind in quality and value. In Spring-2011, they changed
lunch menus and we no longer recommend midday Trail's End. For
dinner, try the fried chicken and "make-your-own-potato" bar. At
breakfast, you NEED, NEED, NEED the sticky buns. Also, the nice
thing about breakfast, is the low crowd level, since many campers
prepare breakfast at their site. Trail's End Breakfast Buffet is the
second best breakfast buffet, just behind The Wave breakfast buffet
at Contemporary.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
the little marla
you're not getting cold fins now? are ya!

breakfast is wonderful there! it's a nice place to have breakfast if your heading into MK and your not in a rush, you'd have to take the boat over and back, but it's really quiet and relaxing! love having breakfast there on our "lazy" day... and they have the barns where they keep these beautiful horses right off to the side and they also have pony rides!

May 2013 Dining Report! June 2012 DDP Dining Report!

December '13 off site May '13 Pop/off site + 4nights Disney Dream June '12 Pop November '11 Disneyland for our honeymoon! May '11 4 nights on the Dream! + Poly!
August '10 Pop August '09 Pop/3 night Wonder Cruise! and ENGAGED IN DISNEY! 8.24.09! January '09 AS Movies
1986-2009 at least 1 trip per year, contemporary,pop,coronado springs, off site[/SIZE]
the little marla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
beccasmom
DIS Veteran

We enjoy it, mostly for dinner. It is a bit of a hassle to get to, depending on your location, but you just need to time that out. The food is basic comfort food, which is fine with me. . Great service. I recommend it.

beccasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

We dined there for dinner in 2009. There was a pretty nice selection of food, but it was'nt that great to us. Nothing really stood out to make me want to return. The transportation was a hassle just getting there and back.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
disneymayz
DIS Veteran

I have never eaten here. Reviews for Dinner seem to be good and price also seems to be on the lower side. My wife and kids do not eat fried chicken, BBQ ribs or shrimp. The menu I saw says carved meats. What type do they usually have? Do they have a kids section, with the usual nuggets, pizza?
May '99-Dixie Landings / Disney Cruise May '00-All-Star Music May '01-All-Star Movies June '03-All-Star Sports May '04-Off-site May '05-Pop Century May '06-Old Key West Dec. '07-All-Star Movies June '08-Disneyland Hotel / Grand Cali. / Paradise Pier June '09-AKV / All-Star Music / Saratoga Springs Resort Jan '10 - CBR / May '10 - Pop Century May '11 Pop / AKV / VWL Dec '11 OKW / BW/ All-Star Sports April '12 Polly Sep/Oct '12 VGC June'13 SSR/AKV/BCV/BLT Dec '13 All-star Sports Feb '14 Pop/CS/GFV/AKV May '14 ASMo
disneymayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little marla View Post
breakfast is wonderful there! it's a nice place to have breakfast if your heading into MK and your not in a rush, you'd have to take the boat over and back, but it's really quiet and relaxing! love having breakfast there on our "lazy" day... and they have the barns where they keep these beautiful horses right off to the side and they also have pony rides!
This is my plan for our anniversary. I wanted to have a somewhat different day than the rest of our trip, so we are having our only breakfast of the trip at Trail's End, then seeing what there is to see at FW, walk over to WL, see what there is to see there (we've been there, but rushed in for an ADR and back out to a park), and then after that we'll decide what to do with the rest of the day. Eventually we will end up at EP for Le Cellier dinner. I was on the Disney site earlier looking for information about horseback rides at FW but couldn't find anything. We did that on our Skyline Drive honeymoon 36 years ago and I thought it would be fun to do it again. I have heard lots of positive reviews of Trail's End so I'm glad I was finally able to put it on our schedule.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
This is my plan for our anniversary. I wanted to have a somewhat different day than the rest of our trip, so we are having our only breakfast of the trip at Trail's End, then seeing what there is to see at FW, walk over to WL, see what there is to see there (we've been there, but rushed in for an ADR and back out to a park), and then after that we'll decide what to do with the rest of the day. Eventually we will end up at EP for Le Cellier dinner. I was on the Disney site earlier looking for information about horseback rides at FW but couldn't find anything. We did that on our Skyline Drive honeymoon 36 years ago and I thought it would be fun to do it again. I have heard lots of positive reviews of Trail's End so I'm glad I was finally able to put it on our schedule.
Trail Rides are offered as guided horseback rides and are offered several times daily (8:30, 10, 11:30 a.m., 1, and 2:30pm-weather permitting) at the Tri-Circle D Livery at Fort Wilderness. They cost $46 per person and are approximately 45 minutes. If you ride horses regularly this may be a little boring as they walk in a line along a trail.

There are also carriage rides available but they are offered in the evening.

You might want to have breakfast at TE and then go on a horseback ride. Sounds like a great plan to me (I'd love to do it myself, we can just never find the time LOL!) ENJOY!! and happy anniversary!
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: