Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
eltonsha
Earning My Ears

Question Bedbugs?

We are planning a trip this October and were originally planning to camp but due to an unforeseen code that we were given it is almost the same price to stay at a Value hotel. My hubby has never stayed at a hotel, he always camped and was excited at the idea but has now became worried about the possibility of bedbugs at the hotels.

Has anyone seen them and if so where? Was it taken care of if you did?
eltonsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Bedbugs could be in any hotel or anywhere for that matter. I know someone who just had them found in their workplace. It's just a fact of travel. You can't rely on what people have seen as it changes. If there is a report of a problem, then it would have been addressed and cleaned so an old report doesn't mean anything as of today. No reports of seeing them in a hotel don't mean anything either, they could have been brought in right before you arrived. You need to be aware and check a room before settling into it and look for signs of an infestation.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
JeannieKY
Tink fan

I think Disney also uses bedding from bedbugcover.com. I ordered a pillow from them after I loved the one in the room. I'd worry less at Disney than most places.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I would worry less at Disney because of their high standards of cleanliness.

Does he know that bedbugs can be anywhere and everywhere? Including your own house? They're not just designated to hotel rooms.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
patty57
DIS Veteran

As others have said, bedbugs could always be a possibility, although unlikely. I have to think your chances of lots of bugs would be much greater camping than at a WDW resort.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Disney's cleaning standards are far less than some hotels. I would check my room very carefully for bedbugs at any Disney resort.We love Disney and have been visiting for over 30 years but unless their protocol has changed, Disney does nothing special and no longer even closes the rooms next door, above or below after a confirmed bedbug report. They move guests in quickly after treating the room with heat.

It is easy to google how to check for bedbugs - you can learn every possible way to be safe. As other's have mentioned, it can happen in any hotel, store, movie theatre and especially airlines. One cannot see eggs, so even if you do not see adult bedbugs (also not necessarily easy to see) you are not protected.

We keep everything in plastic bags, do not use the drawers or put our clothing in drawers in the plastic bags. When we get home, we leave suitcases in the garage in sealed plastic bags, as well as laundry, and do all laundry as quickly as possible. Some laugh at us, but it doesn't bother me - would much rather be safe than bring those critters home where it wll be very costly and lengthy to get rid of them.

You really can still have a great trip!!

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

30+ stays at WDW resorts and no bedbugs to date. Now, my dd had them at camp...twice!! So yeah, we know all about them
And keep in mind...you can get them at a store, at a restaurant, just about anywhere that human beings hang out at.

I always check my room before unpacking anything. I check behind the bed, along the seams in the mattress, baseboards, etc.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Three cats
DIS Veteran

I worry about this too but realize there is only so much I can do. I check the room completely before bringing anything in. Honestly though, they can even get into your luggage in the cargo area on the airlplane. Like I said, only so much you can do. I just do the best I can by checking and hope for the best. Having said that, i've taken many trips to Disney and never had a problem.
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
StillWorldlyWise
Earning My Ears

Not going to get bedbugs camping unless you're in a cave. (Camping = not the same as "at camp").
StillWorldlyWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
patty57
DIS Veteran

I wasn't referring to bedbugs as much as bugs in general when I mentioned camping.
patty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonsha View Post
We are planning a trip this October and were originally planning to camp but due to an unforeseen code that we were given it is almost the same price to stay at a Value hotel. My hubby has never stayed at a hotel, he always camped and was excited at the idea but has now became worried about the possibility of bedbugs at the hotels.

Has anyone seen them and if so where? Was it taken care of if you did?
I would suggest your husband do some research on bed bugs and how they get into hotels and homes. Even with camp gear, you can have bed bugs in things like sleeping bags. And if you have a trailer, you can still get them in the mattresses there as well.

I go to Disney World about three times a year and have never, ever checked for bed bugs. I don't check my home for them. I travel a lot and never check any other hotel or motel for bed bugs. I'm not the paranoid type - way too many other stressers in my life to think of the slim possibility of getting bed bugs in a hotel room.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Magssno
Earning My Ears

My advise to you would be no matter where you stay always thoroughly check the bed and furniture close to it for bed bugs before even think about opening any luggage to check for signs of bed bugs.
Magssno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Magssno
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Disney's cleaning standards are far less than some hotels. I would check my room very carefully for bedbugs at any Disney resort.We love Disney and have been visiting for over 30 years but unless their protocol has changed, Disney does nothing special and no longer even closes the rooms next door, above or below after a confirmed bedbug report. They move guests in quickly after treating the room with heat.

It is easy to google how to check for bedbugs - you can learn every possible way to be safe. As other's have mentioned, it can happen in any hotel, store, movie theatre and especially airlines. One cannot see eggs, so even if you do not see adult bedbugs (also not necessarily easy to see) you are not protected.

We keep everything in plastic bags, do not use the drawers or put our clothing in drawers in the plastic bags. When we get home, we leave suitcases in the garage in sealed plastic bags, as well as laundry, and do all laundry as quickly as possible. Some laugh at us, but it doesn't bother me - would much rather be safe than bring those critters home where it wll be very costly and lengthy to get rid of them.

You can see adult bugs because they are about the size of an apple seed. Bed bug eggs measure about 1 mm so depending on what color surface they are laid on (they are white) you can just about see them if you look closely.
Magssno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Disney's cleaning standards are far less than some hotels. - See more at: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...9#post47664309
Lower?

Can't say that's been my experience. My experience has been that Disney is at least or more meticulous with their standards. I will say, however, that the standards are more rigidly enforced as you go up the price ladder - have heard anecdotally about issues at the values, but not to the extent of bedbugs. I think all hotel chains have stepped up their cleanliness issues since the bedbug issue has resurfaced.

More importantly, though, the variability ties to the individual cleaning crew member. Within one hotel, you might have a meticulous, five-star cleaner, and another who is doing the least they can to get a paycheck. That's where management comes into enforce standards. And my perception is that Disney does a better-than-average job than most at it.

I'm not a big traveler at all compared to most, but I've stayed in sleepy little side-road motels that were absolutely immaculate, and big-name, big-brand hotels that were absolutely filthy. But no bedbugs.

For me, I admit I'm easily more concerned than the average bear about the bugs, (get it from my mom, who by any measure is absolutely fanatical about hotel cleanliness...think she could teach ol' Anthony Melchiorre of "Hotel Impossible" a few things), so when I go into a motel room, I check the corners of each mattress/box spring, which is nothing more than an observation of the most likely spot to see bedbugs. Not exhaustive or conclusive by any means, but I do think if they're clean, you've shortened the odds pretty drastically. And, bedbugs notwithstanding, I've never liked the idea of using the hotel dresser.

Watch a few undercover cams/news stories about how some cleaning crews don't clean rooms and you'll get more like my mom about hotel rooms pretty darned quick

Last edited by OklahomaTourist; 03-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Reese D
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post

We do all of these things too - not just at Disney, but any time we travel. Our suitcases never see the inside of our house. I pack and unpack in the garage or mudroom and then vacuum out the suitcases.
Reese D is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: