Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I really love and appreciate

my husband. He went grocery shopping on New Years eve at the commissary because I had to work. He fought the crowds so my day off would not be spent there and I am not complaining. BUT he spent over $300...which is our norm shopping for 6 humans and 2 k9's for two weeks........ as I look in the fridge and cupboards I just wonder where is the food he bought

(side not I really do appreciate him and his attempt) He shops with me a lot so I know he can do it but wonder what he thinks about when he goes alone
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I'm sure he wonders the same when he goes looking for thousands of dollars worth of clothing in the closet
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
my husband. He went grocery shopping on New Years eve at the commissary because I had to work. He fought the crowds so my day off would not be spent there and I am not complaining. BUT he spent over $300...which is our norm shopping for 6 humans and 2 k9's for two weeks........ as I look in the fridge and cupboards I just wonder where is the food he bought

(side not I really do appreciate him and his attempt) He shops with me a lot so I know he can do it but wonder what he thinks about when he goes alone
I hear you! DH is generally not allowed to go food shopping... He went a few weeks ago and spent $80 on one bag of groceries, but it was stuff he wanted, not really for the familiy. It went like this: (all proud of himself) "I got some stuff at the grocery store." "Umm, if it's honey and maple syrup, that's really for you, I don't eat it." Then a long pause. I still tease him because I spent about $60 for several bags of food that the 5 of us will actually eat all week. But it's the thought that counts...
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Sgt Mickey
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I'm sure he wonders the same when he goes looking for thousands of dollars worth of clothing in the closet
touche
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime4004 View Post
I hear you! DH is generally not allowed to go food shopping... He went a few weeks ago and spent $80 on one bag of groceries, but it was stuff he wanted, not really for the familiy. It went like this: (all proud of himself) "I got some stuff at the grocery store." "Umm, if it's honey and maple syrup, that's really for you, I don't eat it." Then a long pause. I still tease him because I spent about $60 for several bags of food that the 5 of us will actually eat all week. But it's the thought that counts...
see he falls somewhere in the middle of this. He did buy lets of fresh veggies so I can take my lunch to work. BUT then I question where is the milk.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
leebee
DIS Veteran

I always just wonder how we've lived together for 30 years and he still hasn't figured out what types and brands of food we use. Granted, I do most of the grocery shopping and cooking, but he is the one that eats cereal and yogurt. Don't you think he'd have noticed by now that he eats the brand names of cereals because he doesn't LIKE the store brands? Nope.. "Look what I bought, it's $1 cheaper than the regular Cheerios!" Yes, but it's only a bargain if he'll actually EAT it! How does he not know what he likes?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If your husband went shopping at a commissary he should have come home with a ton of food. I went with my friend one time to the one she has privileges at and the prices are amazing! You should be stocked for a while if he spent over $300. Unless he just bought a bunch of snacks ?

I am too lazy to shop much anymore (working nights wrecks me) so my husband has taken on a bit of the grocery shopping. The money he blows amazes me. He is pretty clueless but I can't complain because I don't really want to do it. He's keeping us alive and the kids in lunch food for school (although I swear we would spend less if he just made them eat hot lunch every day). I try to keep my mouth shut when he gets the wrong thing or buys a bunch of crap we don't need or I didn't ask for. It's hard though . I don't think we have ever spent more than $200 at the grocery store, and we have a family of 6 too (no dogs, but a few hamsters).
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I always just wonder how we've lived together for 30 years and he still hasn't figured out what types and brands of food we use. Granted, I do most of the grocery shopping and cooking, but he is the one that eats cereal and yogurt. Don't you think he'd have noticed by now that he eats the brand names of cereals because he doesn't LIKE the store brands? Nope.. "Look what I bought, it's $1 cheaper than the regular Cheerios!" Yes, but it's only a bargain if he'll actually EAT it! How does he not know what he likes?
That is so funny.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

I usually do the grocery shopping. There are a few staples I don't put on the grocery list as I always get them like bread, fruit and milk.

He went shopping once and didn't buy any milk or bread as it wasn't on the list. Considering he is the biggest consumer of milk with his cereal consumption he would know that we need milk without it being written out for him.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
Sgt Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
I usually do the grocery shopping. There are a few staples I don't put on the grocery list as I always get them like bread, fruit and milk.

He went shopping once and didn't buy any milk or bread as it wasn't on the list. Considering he is the biggest consumer of milk with his cereal consumption he would know that we need milk without it being written out for him.
Perhaps he thought you got it from the cow out back oh no milking cow in your backyard ...where that ol milk comes from then

Sorry this would be dh.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
htmom
I am also afraid of those stupid biscuit cans

My dh jokes that he got married to save money at the grocery store. I am "frugal". Lol. When the baby was born he made a single week trip. He spent 250.00. It was just him and me and the baby, the other kiddos were with relatives. Although we certainly were stocked up on chips and dip and beef jerky! He is wonderful, just stinks at grocery shopping.
DS 12
DD 9
ds born June 2013
htmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is so funny.
Not if you are paying for it!

I hate to complain because he really does a lot around here. There are so many things he doesn't expect me to do because of my bad back! He cleans the tubs & showers, vacuums, shovels, mows, takes out the trash, helps with laundry& I am sure there are more that I am forgetting. It just always amazes me that he is pretty clueless about the food he has been eating for the past 30 years!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

My husband and DD went grocery shopping last weekend since I'm out of commission.

It's a good thing my DD went. She said he was going to buy wheat bread which no one but him will eat, wasn't going to buy milk, and walked right by the granola bars that were on the list.
He also came home with alot of junk food which I no longer buy and no fresh vegs which were on the list.

He will often buy the wrong thing - I think on purpose so I don't have him do the grocery shopping. but right now we have no choice. Maybe in another week or two I'll get the clearance to drive again and be around people again but until then he's it.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

Cannot really complain about my husband, he just installed a whole house water softener and remodeled our kitchen!

But as a grocery shopper or cook, just no. He will stop for one or two things, but that's the limit. And he knows I buy organic produce, but doesn't seem to remember that when he is at the store. If he cooks, he over uses the salt and spices. Probably on purpose. But he's a great chopper! He bought us some really professional knives that intimidate me a bit, so it's a good thing.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I swear my husband and I have switched gender roles. He does the grocery shopping and on the odd instance I go, THEN we ask, where is all of the food for $100? (It is just two of us and I swear he can feed us both on $35 a week.)
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: