Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan22 View Post
I don't think I would pay out of pocket. But I think it is worth 2 dining credits if you are one the dining plan.
I disagree. I dont think using 2 TS credits is a good value on the DP. With 2 TS credits each, you can eat at two more restaurants during your trip! Like at Via Napoli & Tutto, or Raglan & Chefs, or Crystal Palace & TRex...the choice is yours! Thats why I always pay OOP when going to a signature restaurant.
However, it might be worth it if you order the $68 lobster/steak combo, or the $65 lobster!

If you are going for the 'experience', you can always order appetizers and dessert, and kids meals for the kids. That way you wont break the bank.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie'smom
WOW ! Just looked at the prices for Narcoossee. I'm suffering from sticker shock. How can anyone with a couple of kids afford to eat there while on vacation. Seriously,4 meals with tip and tax is easily the price of 4 one day tickets.
That's why we'd never pay money to eat there. Even the 1 credit restaurants seem to be pretty expensive and I could never really justify spending that money. That's why we love free dining, we also like to upgrade to deluxe if budget allows. We NEVER spend that amount on a restaurant OOP.

As for using 2 credits being good value, I think they are for fixed price meals and buffets like CRT and HDDR. There, you can't order less and pay less. For others, we would consider ordering only appetisers and desserts but since we usually get the deluxe DDP we just use that.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie'smom View Post
WOW ! Just looked at the prices for Narcoossee. I'm suffering from sticker shock. How can anyone with a couple of kids afford to eat there while on vacation. Seriously,4 meals with tip and tax is easily the price of 4 one day tickets.
totally agree

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
pktbMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I've lived in various medium-to-large U.S. cities and I think WDW food prices are pretty steep. However, when you compare them to other entertainment venues such as sports stadiums, other theme parks or resorts, they aren't bad. If you're paying out of pocket, food is one of the main expenses of a WDW vacation.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
Well, apparently lots can because its always packed. It's a signature restaurant in the GF. It's no surprise that there are three high end restaurants at the GF. GF is aimed at people who are willing to pay top rate for rooms, restaurants and everything else.
Agreed. We are eating at Narcoosee's for the first time next August and I booked our reservation for a Friday night last week. I booked the full 180 days out on a Disney package and picked Narcoosee's for our last night. So I was booking 188 days out. Even then I couldn't get the time I wanted.
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
gojoe
DIS Veteran

Don't Find Them Excessive

I live in RI, we have Newport & Providence that I think are excessive. I've found Boston to be more reasonable than here. Disney's prices are right in line with our pretentious spots here.

But this is not Disney World.

We always have one Dining Experience when we go. It's not always a signature location but it is something we make special.

Just so you know RI has some of the best restaurants around. We have great traditional Italian, Eclectic, Seafood on every corner and for those who love a great steak house Capital Grill started here (we also have Shula's and Ruth Chris with in blocks) Of course having a world class culinary school, Johnson & Wales (Emeril Lagasse fame), in town does help.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
I've lived in various medium-to-large U.S. cities and I think WDW food prices are pretty steep. However, when you compare them to other entertainment venues such as sports stadiums, other theme parks or resorts, they aren't bad.
Agreed, the prices arent too bad, neither is the quality. I know that first time we went here we were pleasantly surprised about the prices and the quality we got. We've had a lot worse...

It's just that when I pay a lot of money for a meal I want it to be rather special. Some WDW places just are a tad too much for me esp. when you see what you get for it.

But you always anywhere way what you pay and must do (travel etc) against the meal/experience. Sometimes one side wins sometimes the other And that is very personal!
RedfromNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #23
amberpi
DIS Veteran

We don't eat at chain restaurants, so I'm not sure what the price points at carabbas, etc. Are anymore, but I don't find wdw dining prices out of line with the rest of the world. I travel extensively for work and even around Nashville, the prices seem normal to me.
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #24
mmtravel
Mouseketeer

Narcoosee's does seem expensive - comparable to upscale NYC prices - but more important, while I'm researching a special meal, it sounds like it's not really worth it. If a meal is going to be a really special experience, for a special occasion, then it's worth the money. It sounds like people pay for the atmosphere and location and the service and food are just adequate.
mmtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
2girlsR2good
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
people prioritize their money differently.
This nails it to me. When our kids were smaller we did a couple of parental nights out at Disney with the kids in Neverland. Neither of those nights were our favorite parts of a trip, so we quit bothering. Now they are old enough/well behaved enough to take anywhere (well, except V&A per the rules. We are not super parents either, just fortunate that we have easy kids).

Ultimately, we decided that, FOR US, a Disney vacation is not about fine dining. It's about fun dining. We do fine dining at home and on other vacations. At Disney, it's Prime Time Cafe, Cape May, and (can't wait!!) Be Our Guest for us. We've prioritized our spending this trip to include a fireworks cruise for Illuminations for our twin DD's birthday. That will make more of a memory for them and for us than a signature restaurant.

The ability to build a vacation that suits your family is what makes Disney such a great destination!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #26
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie'smom View Post
Narcoossees is our favorite and worth every penny. Food prices at Disney are expensive, no matter where or what you eat. You've just got to take that into consideration when budgeting for your vacation. That's why we normally only eat 2 meals each day. We bring snacks from home for early breakfast before leaving our resort, eat an early lunch, snacks mid day and a late dinner. With a few exceptions, usually counter service for lunch and signature table for dinners.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Eureka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic View Post
It is one of our favorites, so even if we are not on the DDP it is worth the cost to us. Vacation is about splurging for us, & since we don't have the opportunity to eat there when we aren't on vacation we don't mind the cost. Also, As others have mentioned when you live in the NY/NJ area you are used to paying similar prices (if not more) to dine out.
I could have written this, except I don't live in NY or NJ, lol. Vacation for us is about planning ahead to afford it and not counting pennies when we are there. We are going OOP this August for the first time and Narcoossee's is the only signature we are going to this time. If it's as good as it was during our last trip, it will be worth every penny.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
I could have written this, except I don't live in NY or NJ, lol. Vacation for us is about planning ahead to afford it and not counting pennies when we are there. We are going OOP this August for the first time and Narcoossee's is the only signature we are going to this time. If it's as good as it was during our last trip, it will be worth every penny.
I think of it this way. I would rather save up for a couple of years to do my vacation the way I want to do it (signature dining, POFQ, longer then a week, etc) then go yearly and do less. For ME it is worth it.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #29
nessz79
DIS Veteran

That's why we haven't eaten there yet. We just can't justify it yet.

My DH and I are finally trying Artist's Point for his birthday in May. That will be our first signature restaurant.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller
Well, apparently lots can because its always packed. It's a signature restaurant in the GF. It's no surprise that there are three high end restaurants at the GF. GF is aimed at people who are willing to pay top rate for rooms, restaurants and everything else.
Lmao! We stayed at GF a couple years back when WDW did the 4/3 special. I'll bet the CMs were wondering who the hell let the Clampetts into the GF! I'm about as country as a Southern girl can get.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: