Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #46
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Let the Concierge know that it's your DD and her BF. They have been known to make exceptions for family. Also you can order Cagney's Breakfast and Lunch to be served in your suite for everyone.

One thing I do have to add that I love about in suite dining on NCL is that you can order dinner from any restaurant including the specialty venues. You can also order from multiple restaurants(or each person could order from a different restaurant), for example: an appetizer from Le Bistro, an Entree from Cagney's and dessert from La Cucina. You will pay the surcharge from the restaurant you order your entree from.
Thanks for the info....sounds like it will all work out beautifully.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #47
dizzi
DIS Veteran

We only did a 3 nighter out of Miami, on NCL
But we had no idea about any of the dining things on NCL.

Our Server was literally horrible.

Distant COLD cranky.......

Never got drink refills, nothing, i was so disappointed.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #48
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom

Do you know if they allow concierge passengers to bring guests with them for breakfast and lunch in the steakhouse? (Cagney's on the Pearl)
KaseyC was correct....concierge only. You can have a couple of people come see your room, and the garden villa, but they can't use the facilities there, either.

But I would definitely ask about your extra party of two. In our experience, NCL's concierge will go above and beyond to do anything for you.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #49
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi

I find the service lacking on ALL short cruises, even Disney. I chalk it up to the quick turnovers that they do. Not much time to get to know the passengers and....most CM's aren't crazy about the short cruises because they're more work.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #50
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

I find the service lacking on ALL short cruises, even Disney. I chalk it up to the quick turnovers that they do. Not much time to get to know the passengers and....most CM's aren't crazy about the short cruises because they're more work.
I agree with this. The last time we were on the Wonder was shortly after it went from being a short term boat to a week long one. The service was not wonderful. We actually thought that perhaps the servers weren't accustomed to the weeklong clientele. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. On past cruises, we loved how our servers learned our habits, like the fact that I order water with lemon every night or that the younger kids in our party needed their food cut up. Our servers never quite figured it out which was a bummer because we were with another family that we had talked up the cruise to for years and they finally took the plunge. Going on the Fantasy this year...remaining hopeful.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

We did the Disney Magic in June and the NCL Epic in December. Love, love, loved the Epic. There were some good things - about Disney. My daughter loved the princesses and the characters. A couple of the shows were good - maybe one was very good. Have seen Disney shows on Broadway and no, all of the ones on the ship are not the same quality, sorry. Food on DCL - no dining options! Food was okay - nothing very exciting. And I agree with the person who said that sometimes things are boring on a Disney ship. (if we hadn't spent so much time on line waiting for photos with the characters, I don't know what we would have done.) We definitely did not have that problem on the Epic.

Disney pool was packed - deck space not so nice. Epic pool area was big....and live music was definitely fun. Food was good - loved all the options - buffet was very good - and so many choices! Shows were very good as well. The only specialty restaurant we ate at was for the Cirque show. Not a big deal that we paid in advance. Would we sail DCL again - we're giving the Fantasy a try in December. Would we sail NCL again - Breakaway in June.

There's something for everyone and two people on the same ship will have had different cruises. Make the best of it. Life is about trying new things. :-)
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #52
FJS961
DIS Veteran

We have been very lucky with our DCL service, even on the short 3 night Wonder cruise which was our first. My kids can still name our serving teams from our cruises. Oddly, the weakest link of any server we had was our asst server on the Fantasy this past August.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #53
dizzi
DIS Veteran

i wont be able to compare the short Disney cruie until 2014, BUT,
.....there cant be that much more work involved in short cruises. It is after all their "work". A a days work is just that.....

I work every day in the restaurant service industry, and, my customers are not with me very long, and i dont forget to refill their drinks, or give a great smile or make them comfortable in evey way i can.

If these servers are using the short cruise theory for a reason for bad service they should find another job.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #54
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi
i wont be able to compare the short Disney cruie until 2014, BUT,
.....there cant be that much more work involved in short cruises. It is after all their "work". A a days work is just that.....

I work every day in the restaurant service industry, and, my customers are not with me very long, and i dont forget to refill their drinks, or give a great smile or make them comfortable in evey way i can.

If these servers are using the short cruise theory for a reason for bad service they should find another job.
A complete turnover of the ship every three to four days IS more work than doing it once every seven days. It's more work for housekeeping, granted, than it is for servers, but the servers have to try to remember the preferences of twice as many people in one week than those who work the longer cruises, so it totally makes sense that they might not remember I prefer lemon in my water. And I don't expect them to. I don't expect our local sandwich shop to remember my "usual", and we're friends with the owners. It's just not a big deal, when they see so many people in a week. I try hard not to base my cruise experience on something that trivial.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #55
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

A complete turnover of the ship every three to four days IS more work than doing it once every seven days. It's more work for housekeeping, granted, than it is for servers, but the servers have to try to remember the preferences of twice as many people in one week than those who work the longer cruises, so it totally makes sense that they might not remember I prefer lemon in my water. And I don't expect them to. I don't expect our local sandwich shop to remember my "usual", and we're friends with the owners. It's just not a big deal, when they see so many people in a week. I try hard not to base my cruise experience on something that trivial.
I didn't expect them to remember little preferences on our short cruise, but I did for our week long cruise. Like I said not terrible, just not great. We love DCL and the lack of attention to detail did not make the cruise a bad experience. It was just a different experience from our other week long cruise. I think our servers were just ready for a vacation themselves. I don't blame them...I know they work very hard.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #56
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Booking Frenzy

The quoted post is by someone on the June 1st Disney Magic Med cruise.

Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

WOW. The cruisers on my 6/1 Med cruise are no joke. It's probably b/c there are alot of Gold & Plats doing back to back w/the EBTA.

I logged on "late" at 12:23 a.m. EST. Checked Palo Brunch, and Palo Dinner. Availability looked good. I'm Silver, btw (will be Gold after this cruise).

For our 9 people, I booked our DCL excursions first since we have nothing else planned. Pretty important, got what we wanted.

Then I booked our DCL excursions for ports which we may or may not need it. Offerings for Rome don't look that good.

Returned to Palo Brunch & Dinners---hardly anything left, can't get a table of 4 for anything. Alright, that's fine. We'll eat 2x2.

No more good Swedish spa appts or manicures. Only things left are on Port days....

OK....

Returned to Palo & Brunch ressies at 2:21 a.m EST, and there is absolutely no Palo Brunch left at all. None. I know things will open up but this is ridiculous

It's like BLACK FRIDAY but for DCL ressies. My goodness.
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #57
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post

we also did the 3 night out of Miami on NCL and it was AWFUL!!!! We waited over 45 minutes to even get drinks at dinner. Im sure the longer cruises have to be better. This was my only cruise and it made me not want to ever cruise again!! BUT... We are trying DCL next month!!
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #58
Silstone
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrbell

we also did the 3 night out of Miami on NCL and it was AWFUL!!!! We waited over 45 minutes to even get drinks at dinner. Im sure the longer cruises have to be better. This was my only cruise and it made me not want to ever cruise again!! BUT... We are trying DCL next month!!
You won't be disappointed. Did a mini cruise 16 years ago and vowed that we hated cruising. Did DCL Alaska in June 2012 and will be doing my 3rd DCL in April. We're hooked!!! But, have never done NCL.
Silstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #59
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post

Sounds just like my servers on the DCL Dream We got water at the start of the meal. Nothing else. Food was often lukewarm due to it sitting around forever And ALL of their tables got this "excellent" service.

After 2 nights I said something to the head waiter (I also pointe out that the goal should be to have us finished before the 2nd seating). His reaction,,, nothing. (which was reflected in his tip)

The first night they did let me order a glass of wine. That privilege was never extended again
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #60
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Sounds just like my servers on the DCL Dream We got water at the start of the meal. Nothing else. Food was often lukewarm due to it sitting around forever And ALL of their tables got this "excellent" service.

After 2 nights I said something to the head waiter (I also pointe out that the goal should be to have us finished before the 2nd seating). His reaction,,, nothing. (which was reflected in his tip)

The first night they did let me order a glass of wine. That privilege was never extended again

Just a reminder that you'll find good and bad service on any line, at any hotel, etc. It's just kind of the luck of the draw. Or bad luck.

On Disney, we've had some really FANTASTIC head servers, and some who I wish I'd never laid eyes on. We had one who only cared that someone at our table was a "wannabe wine connoisseur" who bought a bottle of whatever the head server brought to the table. The one night that the wine drinker went to Palo, the head server sailed past our table without even a nod of recognition to the rest of us. Which was fine with us, because I don't think he bathed or changed his clothes during the entire cruise ....but ask me what HIS tip was at the end

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: