Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Most of the time they have a private reception area for concierge passengers in the port terminal, with juice, water, coffee and cookies, and they'll have someone there from the spa and dining, to make your reservations before you get onboard. But even if you decide one day onboard that you'd like to eat in one of the specialty restaurants that night or another, they'll get you in. They're like magic sometimes. Embarkation day, they'll have either your butler or concierge personally take you onboard, either to your room or to lunch. Some of the ships will offer breakfast and lunch for suites only, in the Steakhouse.
I'm not sure what level of service you'll get on PofA, but you'll definitely be permanently spoiled on NCL's new ships.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

Old Lahaina Luau is done by the same people as Feast of Lele, and is definitely a close #2.
We'll be on Maui next month. We've been to the Old Lahaina Luau and really enjoyed it. Sounds like it's time to try Feast of Lele.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #33
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Most of the time they have a private reception area for concierge passengers in the port terminal, with juice, water, coffee and cookies, and they'll have someone there from the spa and dining, to make your reservations before you get onboard. But even if you decide one day onboard that you'd like to eat in one of the specialty restaurants that night or another, they'll get you in. They're like magic sometimes. Embarkation day, they'll have either your butler or concierge personally take you onboard, either to your room or to lunch. Some of the ships will offer breakfast and lunch for suites only, in the Steakhouse.
I'm not sure what level of service you'll get on PofA, but you'll definitely be permanently spoiled on NCL's new ships.
as Kramer would say, "Giddy-up!!"
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
We'll be on Maui next month. We've been to the Old Lahaina Luau and really enjoyed it. Sounds like it's time to try Feast of Lele.

Woody
I highly recommend it! The food is *fabulous*. It's a sit-down meal, with the food coming from their 2 restaurants right behind the luau site. They perform a dance from a certain region of Polynesia, then serve a dish from that region. Wonderful! And the setting is perfection. Literally *right* on the beach, with the ocean as a backdrop. The earlier you make your reservation, the closer to the front you'll get to sit. Although there really isn't a "bad seat".

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #35
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post

I highly recommend it! The food is *fabulous*. It's a sit-down meal, with the food coming from their 2 restaurants right behind the luau site. . .
Sayhello: Sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

For the specialty dining I wouldn't worry about booking in advance on NCL. There were monitors all around the ship with the availability shown at all times. Things tend to get busier as the cruise goes on as well, esp. the last night. If you want a bit later if tended to get a bit busier as well. You can call on board and they will be happy to fit you in.

We are early eaters (two young kids) so we kept to the usual 5:45 habit that DCL got us into. Usually we were one of the first handful of tables to be seated. Better yet if you do specialty dining before 6 pm they toss in a bottle of the house wine for free. It isn't great wine but rarely do free and great go together.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
FJS961
DIS Veteran

I am totally reassured about the specialty dining booking situation on NCL thanks to my friends on the DIS.

I just can't get into the cruise critic forum so much.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #38
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Do you know if they allow concierge passengers to bring guests with them for breakfast and lunch in the steakhouse? (Cagney's on the Pearl)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #39
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
Do you know if they allow concierge passengers to bring guests with them for breakfast and lunch in the steakhouse? (Cagney's on the Pearl)
No, that perk is reserved for Concierge guests only.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #40
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
I didn't ave today for my excursions up front but I'm from Canada.
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #41
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
No, that perk is reserved for Concierge guests only.
Oh well, DD and her BF are night owls anyway, so I doubt they'll be up for breakfast, and they'll just have to "rough it" for lunch! (Not that the other four of us will be eating there every day, either...)

Sorry, didn't explain...it will be four of us in concierge and two not.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
one princess
Mouseketeer

I have only been on one NCL but we loved it. The ship was not as nice but the service was wonderful! They did charge for me to make advanced ressies for dinner so I only made one in advance because I wasn't sure what we would want to do. Turns out it was super easy to make them onboard. We had this wonderful girl who helped us everyday. We were not in a suite but she acted like our own personal concierge. I have no idea why she took such a liking to us but she even called us to see if we wanted to do the chefs table. I had asked about it but it was full. They had a cancellation but I told her the couple we were traveling with wanted to do it also so we would pass since there wasn't room for them also. She called back an hour later and said they had decided to make room for the 4 of us!
She was always checking on us and making sure we were happy with our dining experiences. I didn't come across a single crew member that wouldn't fit right in on DCL.
I didn't mind paying extra for the meals since the price of the cruise was about 1/3 of what we usually pay for DCL at spring break.
We had a great trip and would sail NCL again in a heartbeat!
one princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #43
FJS961
DIS Veteran

It turns out 'my first disappointment' regarding my first non DCL cruise is a non issue.

Right now what we are all most concerned and anxious about is the 11 hour flight we have getting there.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #44
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
Oh well, DD and her BF are night owls anyway, so I doubt they'll be up for breakfast, and they'll just have to "rough it" for lunch! (Not that the other four of us will be eating there every day, either...)

Sorry, didn't explain...it will be four of us in concierge and two not.
Let the Concierge know that it's your DD and her BF. They have been known to make exceptions for family. Also you can order Cagney's Breakfast and Lunch to be served in your suite for everyone.

One thing I do have to add that I love about in suite dining on NCL is that you can order dinner from any restaurant including the specialty venues. You can also order from multiple restaurants(or each person could order from a different restaurant), for example: an appetizer from Le Bistro, an Entree from Cagney's and dessert from La Cucina. You will pay the surcharge from the restaurant you order your entree from.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #45
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

My personal opinion on the food. Cagney's (steakhouse) was okay. Definitely the best steak on the cruise but the couple I had in the main dining rooms were rather sad. The Italian specialty was probably my favorite dinner. One thing that stands out in the main dining rooms was the bread pudding (had it 3 times). Even so the quality wasn't consistent from night to night. Wings are a must if you eat in Blue Lagoon (the 24 hr pub/diner). Good for a cruise ship.

Overall nothing that makes me go 'oh my god if we go I need to have that again'. Unlike DCL where in 11 days on pirate night I am having the braised beef shortrib (more likely 2 of them).
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: