Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
kaseyC


Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 4,138

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I don't mind paying in advance and I agree it is a nice system that provides fair access to things on a first come basis. The thing I don't like is that you can't apply an onboard credit to it. Excerpt from the email they sent me ... "The on-board credit can be used for any purchases made on-board with the exception of surcharges, therefore any reservations/purchases prior to the sailing, the on-board credit would not apply." That is actually what disappointed me.
I don't care for that either but I also don't care for DCL's non refundable Concierge deposit. On NCL, if I have quite a bit of OBC, I just wait and have the concierge book everything for me once I'm onboard. We are a family of 5 and I have never had a problem getting what we want... times or dates. The only thing I use the shoreside concierge for is to let them know about my DDs food allergies so they can send us alternative daily treats.

Enjoy your cruise and try not to compare everything to DCL.
__________________
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
I don't mind paying in advance and I agree it is a nice system that provides fair access to things on a first come basis. The thing I don't like is that you can't apply an onboard credit to it. Excerpt from the email they sent me ... "The on-board credit can be used for any purchases made on-board with the exception of surcharges, therefore any reservations/purchases prior to the sailing, the on-board credit would not apply." That is actually what disappointed me.

Yeah, that would stink. But I guess there's always the spa and shops....as a female, that would excite me!!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
I don't care for that either but I also don't care for DCL's non refundable Concierge deposit. On NCL, if I have quite a bit of OBC, I just wait and have the concierge book everything for me once I'm onboard. We are a family of 5 and I have never had a problem getting what we want... times or dates. The only thing I use the shoreside concierge for is to let them know about my DDs food allergies so they can send us alternative daily treats.

Enjoy your cruise and try not to compare everything to DCL.


That's what we do with the dining on NCL. And we've not had a problem getting what we wanted. And spa, too, since you can't pre-bbok.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
bceagle76
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 155

would never go on NCL again

went on cruise from boston
wouldn't go again if they gave me the cruise for NOTHING
everything about it was poor

BTW I tought food in main dining room was awful
they only had 1 speciality resturant which was good but with 4 people and extra $120 a day to east was crazy we did go 3 times to speciality
bceagle76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,373

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post

. . . On NCL, if I have quite a bit of OBC, I just wait and have the concierge book everything for me once I'm onboard. We are a family of 5 and I have never had a problem getting what we want... times or dates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

That's what we do with the dining on NCL. And we've not had a problem getting what we wanted. . .
We've been on multiple NCL cruises, and have another one this summer. We book everything onboard and never had a problem. Always got exactly what we wanted.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Mjasp
DIS Veteran
 
Mjasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Champions Gate, FL. formally Long Island,NY
Posts: 8,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
We did an NCL cruise a couple years ago and the only reason i would consider gong back with, is the private island.........it was def, the only thing better than DCL.
That's good to know, we missed their island because the seas were too rough to tender. I booked a double dip to CC in 2014 because that is the only thing that has me going back to Disney, maybe I'll give NCL another chance, if I go out of NY I avoid airfare I also read reviews that Half Moon Cay, Carnivals and Hollands private island beats CC also.
__________________
November 2014 -Disney Magic & Epcot's Food & Wine Festival
February 2013 -Disney Wonder
February 2012 -Carnival Destiny (Cruise I won)
June 2011- Carnival Glory August 2011- Disney Dream
February 2010- NCL Gem, June 2010- Carnival Glory
April 2008- Disney Wonder Land & Sea, November 2008- Disney Magic
August 2007- RCCL Explorer of the Seas
February 2006- Costa Mediterranea
August 2004- 10 day Disney Magic- Thanks Hurricane Frances
May 2002 Disney Magic Western Inaugural
Mjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
justmestace



Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean
 
justmestace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 26,992

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceagle76 View Post
went on cruise from boston
wouldn't go again if they gave me the cruise for NOTHING
everything about it was poor

BTW I tought food in main dining room was awful
they only had 1 speciality resturant which was good but with 4 people and extra $120 a day to east was crazy we did go 3 times to speciality

You must have been on one of their much older ships. The new ones are awesome with tons of restaurants and the upsell charges for most of them aren't really very high. Cheaper than Palo and Remy. And I'm not complaining or saying anything negative about DCL, just giving a price example.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Thank you Kacey, Stacey and Woody! ... that's reassuring to know that once onboard that the concierge can get you what you want for specialty dining. I know well how it works on DCL but don't want to assume anything for NCL.

Last edited by FJS961; 03-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
manateesmom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjasp
I also read reviews that Half Moon Cay, Carnivals and Hollands private island beats CC also.
Half Moon Cay is amazing. I can't compare yet to CC, but HMC was the best beach I've ever been to, hands down. Beautiful, large, serene.
__________________

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,373

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post

Thank you Kacey, Stacey and Woody! ... that's reassuring to know that once onboard that the concierge can get you what you want for specialty dining. I know w'll how it works on DCL but don't want to assume anything for NCL.
OP: is this your first non-DCL cruise?

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
OP: is this your first non-DCL cruise?

Woody
Yes Woody, we have done 6 cruises but all with DCL so far. We will be sailing NCL in April (PoA) and July (Breakaway) this year. I am considering perhaps a southern caribbean out of San Juan on either Celebrity or RCCI depending on timing i.e., school break weeks for the kids in either Feb or April of next year.

Frank
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,292
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
We have 2 BR family suites booked on Pride of America in April and on Breakaway in July. In the first case, no real special concierge amenities. We plan on spending as much time OFF the ship as possible on the Hawaiian islands. I even plan on eating 2 dinners off the ship: one at a luau on Maui and another during the overnight on Kauai.
Which luau have you booked on Maui? I've done a few there, and the Feast at Lele is hands down the best I've done!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Which luau have you booked on Maui? I've done a few there, and the Feast at Lele is hands down the best I've done!

Sayhello
We booked the Old Lahaina Luau, traditional seating in first row. We are a family of 5 going with another family of 3. It works out perfectly as their tables are set up for 8 people. That day also happens to be my wife's Bday.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,373

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post

Yes Woody, we have done 6 cruises but all with DCL so far. We will be sailing NCL in April (PoA) and July (Breakaway) this year. I am considering perhaps a southern caribbean out of San Juan on either Celebrity or RCCI . . .
Like you, I started cruising with DCL and did so exclusively for years. At the time, they had only two ships with very limited itineraries. Wanting to visit other ports and regions, I looked to other cruise lines.

While I was quite familiar with how DCL did things, I had to learn how other cruise lines did them. Pre-booking specialty restaurants and excursions is a perfect example.

Now, whenever I sail with any cruise line, I find it invaluable to learn how they do things. For me, doing so helps reduce if not eliminate disappointment.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,292
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
We booked the Old Lahaina Luau, traditional seating in first row. We are a family of 5 going with another family of 3. It works out perfectly as their tables are set up for 8 people. That day also happens to be my wife's Bday.
Old Lahaina Luau is done by the same people as Feast of Lele, and is definitely a close #2. You'll love it. Be sure you tell them it's her birthday!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.