Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
FJS961
DIS Veteran

My first disappointment ...

I am so used to and accustomed to DCL and they way they do things. We are just under 45 days before our NCL sailing and was alerted to ability to book specialty dining. One thing I don't like already is that if you book any excursions or up charge specialty dining online, you get charged on your credit card NOW at time of booking it. So used to DCL account being settled at end of cruise. Another wrinkle in this is that we have a $400 onboard credit (for booking a suite >9 months in advance) and any of the online bookings made prior to boarding (excursion / dining) are excluded from onboard credit use ... bummer.

I have had bronchitis / laryngitis over the last couple days and in no mood to talk to a NCL rep on phone but I have been sending emails to their concierge team ... totally unimpressed so fa with the sterile responses and tone ... just didn't get any sense of concierge jumping in offering any help.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

I didn't ave today for my excursions up front but I'm from Canada.
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
FJS961
DIS Veteran

just a little frustrated. The DIS is so much more active and useful. Maybe because it is more like a closer knit community. Trying to find stuff or interact on a meet thread over on cruise critic just ain't the same ...
Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
mickey squared
Mouseketeer

We just did a NCL cruise over NYE after many DCL. Can't compare the customer service between the two. And yes, we were charged at time of reservation for our specialty dining.
5-12-07 14 night Magic
11-21-09 7 night Magic
12-23-09 4 night Wonder
12-27-09 3 night Wonder
12-18-10 11 night Magic
06-10-13 7 night Wonder
mickey squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post

I am so used to and accustomed to DCL and they way they do things. . .
I can't wait to read your trip report.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Mjasp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
I can't wait to read your trip report.

Woody
I can tell you from my experience, she will not like the service, but she will have fun as there is a lot going on.

All I can say is make the best of it, Disney is a little boring sometimes, on NCL, Carnival and RCCL, there is much more going on.
June 2011- Carnival Glory August 2011- Disney Dream
February 2010- NCL Gem, June 2010- Carnival Glory
April 2008- Disney Wonder Land & Sea, November 2008- Disney Magic
August 2007- RCCL Explorer of the Seas
February 2006- Costa Mediterranea
August 2004- 10 day Disney Magic- Thanks Hurricane Frances
May 2002 Disney Magic Western Inaugural
Mjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
luv that cruise
Someone give me instructions as if i were a first grader!

We did an NCL cruise to alaska a few years ago and thought the upgrade fee dining was just not worth it. Expensive, the food wasn't that great and it was time consuming. while service wasn't bad - it just didn't measure up to disney.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
dizzi
DIS Veteran

We did an NCL cruise a couple years ago and the only reason i would consider gong back with, is the private island.........it was def, the only thing better than DCL.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We are going over Christmas on NCl. I was kind of worried. We have a very active cruise meet. There are plans for meet, Christmas gift exchange, slot tournaments, cabin crawl, etc.

We have booked one excursion through the ship, but the rest on our own. All the private excursions required deposits.

We had to pay in advance but it is like that on a lot of lines not just NCL. I think that DCL is the exception.

ETA:
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
quickcat
Mouseketeer

There are sometime posts on here about people being not-so-happy with Disneys shore side suite service as well.
Dont you get your own pool when you are in the suites on NCL?
I would love to be able to sail in a suite- go and have a fun time!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post
There are sometime posts on here about people being not-so-happy with Disneys shore side suite service as well.
Dont you get your own pool when you are in the suites on NCL?
I would love to be able to sail in a suite- go and have a fun time!
Disneys shoreside concierge service is pretty good IMHO. They have been proactive with an email, even a phone call, asking us if there is anything they can do for us. Emails returned promptly. Some CM were more enthusiastic and helpful than others but thats expected. It honestly didn't matter too much because the concierge staff I have been fortunate enough to deal with once onboard, especially the Fantasy over the summer, were amazing.

We have 2 BR family suites booked on Pride of America in April and on Breakaway in July. In the first case, no real special concierge amenities. We plan on spending as much time OFF the ship as possible on the Hawaiian islands. I even plan on eating 2 dinners off the ship: one at a luau on Maui and another during the overnight on Kauai.

I am really curious to sail the Breakaway and compare the Haven to Dream class concierge. That cruise for us will equally be about experiencing a new ship and spending 3 days docked in Bermuda
Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
Disneys shoreside concierge service is pretty good IMHO. They have been proactive with an email, even a phone call, asking us if there is anything they can do for us. Emails returned promptly. Some CM were more enthusiastic and helpful than others but thats expected. It honestly didn't matter too much because the concierge staff I have been fortunate enough to deal with once onboard, especially the Fantasy over the summer, were amazing.

We have 2 BR family suites booked on Pride of America in April and on Breakaway in July. In the first case, no real special concierge amenities. We plan on spending as much time OFF the ship as possible on the Hawaiian islands. I even plan on eating 2 dinners off the ship: one at a luau on Maui and another during the overnight on Kauai.

I am really curious to sail the Breakaway and compare the Haven to Dream class concierge. That cruise for us will equally be about experiencing a new ship and spending 3 days docked in Bermuda
I would love to sail the Breakaway- if you get time, please do a trip report, I would love to read it!
Have a great trip- well, I should say tripS! Sounds like you have a good plan for the Hawaii cruise so you wont be disappointed with the ship.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

I'm different in that I'd prefer to pay as I book, and not have one large bill at the end of the cruise. I think one plus with the other cruise lines is being able to book excursions at any time after you book, rather than waiting for a "window" of time to open, as DCL does.

Also, it's only been the last couple of years that DCL HAD shoreside concierge.....we cruised concierge with Disney before they had it, so I'm not used to it like you are. Since they started this, I've cruised in lower categories because I'm not cruising with kids anymore, so I can't say much about the new service.

You'll find concierge varies, not only from one line to another, but one ship to another.
On NCL, we've cruised in Owner's Suites on the ships that don't have the Villa area, and in the 2 bedroom Villa Suites (on the Pearl), with butlers in all of them.
Sometimes the concierge was incredibly awesome, sometimes not.
I have a feeling your cruise on the Breakaway is going to be one of the best ever. And don't expect too much from the PofA....other than a means to see Hawaii without flying from island to island.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post

. . . We had to pay in advance but it is like that on a lot of lines not just NCL. I think that DCL is the exception.
I agree. We've sailed on several cruise lines, and DCL is the only one that doesn't charge in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post

I think one plus with the other cruise lines is being able to book excursions at any time after you book, rather than waiting for a "window" of time to open, as DCL does.
That's a big plus for me too. DCL is also the only cruise line where I tried to book something when the "window" opened, but couldn't because DCL's website was overloaded.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
FJS961
DIS Veteran

I don't mind paying in advance and I agree it is a nice system that provides fair access to things on a first come basis. The thing I don't like is that you can't apply an onboard credit to it. Excerpt from the email they sent me ... "The on-board credit can be used for any purchases made on-board with the exception of surcharges, therefore any reservations/purchases prior to the sailing, the on-board credit would not apply." That is actually what disappointed me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: