Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
klass3
Mouseketeer

Smile Coral World, St. Thomas

Since search function is still down, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on the Coral World and Butterfly Garden excursions on St. Thomas. Hoping my grandchildren (9, 4) will like them. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klass3 View Post
Since search function is still down, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on the Coral World and Butterfly Garden excursions on St. Thomas. Hoping my grandchildren (9, 4) will like them. Any advice? Thanks.
We did this excursion on NCL, Coral World has a good website that represents the place well. It isn't a flashy aquarium, but we had some really neat experiences there and the boys loved feeding the lorikeets and watching one land on my head We spent at least 1.5 hrs looking at everything,but my two love spending time in museums, so this is right up their alley. Coki beach is right next door and had a small but child-safe area to play and swim. Apparently there is some interesting beginner snorkelling from the beach, but we didn't try.
Our tour did not include the butterfly garden, so I can't comment.
One thing you should know if St Thomas' tourist transportation involves "open air taxis" which are Ford trucks with 5 benches installed behind the cab. I would never let my children ride in these vehicles. There are lots of taxis with seatbelts that can get you to and from the ship more safely.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Conorama
Mouseketeer

We did both.

Coral World is as described above - we did the excursion that included the semi-submersible ("submarine boat" according to our 4.5 year old), and that was neat - they have a diver on board who feeds fish so you get to see a lot of cool stuff. Without that part, I'm not sure a 9 year old would love the place, but it was also a nice short excursion (half-day) so any boredom would be short-lived. It was perfect for our 4.5 year old, though - not too big, not noisy, lots of cool stuff to see (a great sea-lion show) and generally little-kid friendly. We elected not to do the beach that day.

We walked from port to the butterfly place - it's about 5 minutes away (10 with a slow-walking 4.5 year old). It's not big, again, but perfect for the 4 year old. They also did a cool bird show (birds riding bikes on tight-ropes, etc.) We spent less than an hour there, but that's all we were looking for at that point.

Then, we still had a good few hours on the not-so-crowded ship, which was enjoyed by all.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
klass3
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your input!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
abajorek
Earning My Ears

Question re: transportation -

If you book the excursion through the DCL website, is the provided transportation the open-air trucks?

Thanks
!

"We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…"
-Walt Disney (as quoted in Meet the Robinsons)
April 1993 - Royal Parc Suites (Kissimmee) ...18 years later... June 2011 - Polynesian December 2011 - Grand Floridian (became passholders) March 2012 - Day Trip to MK April 2012 - Bay Lake Tower June 2012 - Holiday Inn LBV September 2012 - Hampton Inn LBV October 2012 - Hilton Downtown Disney
November 2012 - Day trip for Epcot Food and Wine Festival December 2012 - BoardWalk Villas March 2013 - Disney Fantasy April 2013 - Art of Animation
May 2013 - Dolphin (May the 4th Be With You) June 2013 - Hilton Bonnet Creek July 2013 - BoardWalk Inn August 2013 - Coronado Springs September 2013 - Dolphin October 2013 - Caribbean Beach (Mickey's Not-So-Scary) October 2013 - Disney Dream November 2013 - Swan (Mickey's Christmas & Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon) December 2013 - Yacht Club (Candlelight w/ Whoopi) December 2013 - Yacht Club (again! Mickey stole our Christmas tree....) January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge °o° February 2014 - Caribbean Beach (Princess 1/2 Marathon) °o° March 2014 - Hilton Bonnet Creek °o° April 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
abajorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

[QUOTE=abajorek;47671438]Question re: transportation -

If you book the excursion through the DCL website, is the provided transportation the open-air trucks?

The website states open-air safari bus or minivan. The only reviews I've read, report the use of safari buses.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: