Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
I thought I was the only one. Maybe the OP thinks being "big boned" meant it would be harder for her to see that she had dropped her money?....
....exactly - not only would she not have seen the dropped money, but, because I was standing directly behind her, I couldn't see exactly what she was doing or anything going on in front of her....I wasn't trying to say that she was "fat" because she wasn't; not really - she was just.....big. ....mebbe it was fate that I happened to see the bill fall. Only when she turned around to see who had tapped her could I see that she had a couple of crumpled bills in her hand.
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
....yesterday, when I was standing in line behind a rather, err, um, <<big-boned>> woman (and, MAN, was she TALL! ) I noticed that a ten-dollar bill dropped by her foot. I tapped her and said, "I think you just dropped your money." She thanked me and said that she probably never even would have noticed...well, no problem - we moved up in line and she ordered [whatever]. A minute or so later, it was my turn (there are two registers) so I ordered a medium iced coffee. As I was retrieving my money from my pocketbook, I noticed an arm going across 'my' register....that woman in front of me had paid for my coffee!

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Please share your stories....
I'm still trying to figure out what her bone structure or height had to do with this story, even if you couldn't easily see around her or whatever. I'm not big and stuff falls out of my lab coat pockets all the time. I was actually just complaining about it today. And half the time I can't see around tall or short people. I'm medium height. It is just the way it is.

Who cares if she was big? If this happened to me I would still hope and kind of expect that in society people would be nice enough to help me. I would do the same for other people.

I don't think that people understand the way they write about other people. OP, I am only writing this because I think you need to be more self aware. This is just so not cool. I get sick of the fat / skinny shaming. Men and women are so hard on each other and their looks, their parenting - why do we do this to each other! Let's just accept each other - even if we are big boned and tall, skinny or short, or somewhere in between.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
kimmar067

....wow, why are some of you reading more into this than the actual story and message I was trying to put forth? I wasn't trying to belittle or degrade that person. Quite the contrary - I was trying to portray her as someone who, for no other reason other than me spotting her dropped money, performed an act of kindness. I never suggested that she was unkempt, slovenly, smelly, poorly dressed, loud, are anything else of the kind. The fact of the matter is, she was large in stature. Furthermore, she seemed proportionate to her height, which I imagine to be, at least 6'3" or 6'4"[I'm guessing that height because I am 5'6" and my head barely reached her shoulder]. And, the ONLY reason I bothered to mention it was that it surprised me that I saw the fallen money, because she also wore an oversized, very long (past her knees) coat. The woman herself admitted that she wouldn't have seen it and she might have even stepped on the money had she not picket it up....I'm wondering: would any of you feel so strongly had the person in front of me been a MAN?
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Kudos to you for your honesty!

I've been in your position, Kimmar, where I've spotted mistakes and pointed it out. Somehow, I always end up with people wanting to give me back MORE change than I should get; or undercharging me on the bill.

I've always pointed it out; but never had anyone 'pay it forward' like that to me.

But then again.....I have been known to find money just lying around in the street with no owner and no one around for me to give it to.

I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around.
Me, too.

It's experiences like those, Kimmar, that uplift me

One time, when I was really young, I was going to my part-time job, and my car stopped at the left-hand turn on a busy 4-laned road. I was near a gas station, and some guys there saw me, came and pushed my car to the station, checked under the hood and told me I was out of oil (I was so lucky not to have burned out my engine). They gave me oil, despite the fact I had no money, and sent me on my way. I never did forget that kindness.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
Me, too.

It's experiences like those, Kimmar, that uplift me ...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067
....wow, why are some of you reading more into this than the actual story and message I was trying to put forth? I wasn't trying to belittle or degrade that person. Quite the contrary - I was trying to portray her as someone who, for no other reason other than me spotting her dropped money, performed an act of kindness. I never suggested that she was unkempt, slovenly, smelly, poorly dressed, loud, are anything else of the kind. The fact of the matter is, she was large in stature. Furthermore, she seemed proportionate to her height, which I imagine to be, at least 6'3" or 6'4"[I'm guessing that height because I am 5'6" and my head barely reached her shoulder]. And, the ONLY reason I bothered to mention it was that it surprised me that I saw the fallen money, because she also wore an oversized, very long (past her knees) coat. The woman herself admitted that she wouldn't have seen it and she might have even stepped on the money had she not picket it up....I'm wondering: would any of you feel so strongly had the person in front of me been a MAN?
Well, I guess it would have helped if you had described.her large, oversize coat, rather.than her looks, wouldn't it?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
kimmar067

....would it have made a difference if I had stated 'a woman in an oversized coat' vs. 'a large woman in an oversized coat'? I don't know what else you'd like me to say - she wasn't a small woman in an oversized coat, so I couldn't have written that......and, for the record, I didn't describe her looks. That would have included hair color and style, eye color, glasses (or no glasses), jeans or trousers, striking, ugly, pretty,makeup, no makeup, boots, sneakers, etc......
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Just a suggestion,

Instead of derailing this thread about doing something good for others, why not start a different thread to discuss why do humans find it important to describe a person when relating an event, or why do humans leave out some details when describing a person? Like I said, just a thought.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Quote:
Just a suggestion,

Instead of derailing this thread about doing something good for others, why not start a different thread to discuss why do humans find it important to describe a person when relating an event, or why do humans leave out some details when describing a person? Like I said, just a thought.
likes this!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
Mickeynutty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
<edit>
....yesterday, when I was standing in line behind a woman. I noticed that a ten-dollar bill dropped by her foot. I tapped her and said, "I think you just dropped your money." She thanked me and said that she probably never even would have noticed...well, no problem - we moved up in line and she ordered [whatever]. A minute or so later, it was my turn (there are two registers) so I ordered a medium iced coffee. As I was retrieving my money from my pocketbook, I noticed an arm going across 'my' register....that woman in front of me had paid for my coffee!

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Please share your stories....
Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your posts,kimmar. Don't let the snarky comments get to you!
Mickeynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #27
shortbun
Peacenik

When my Dad was healthy, he'd walk over to the local diner for breakfast every morning. He liked it for social fun, talked to people and got a little exersize. If I was in town, I'd go with him. One of his buddies always paid for someone's breakfast-some random person. They'd sit at the counter and he and the waitress would decide who's breakfast needed to be paid for. It was fun and made me know the world was right.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #28
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Just a suggestion,

Exactly!

.......and Kimmar, kudos to you and the woman -- both of you are examples of what this world needs more of!

Hugs, sweetie

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #29
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I'll never understand the need to read something into someone's words for the sole purporse of tearing someone down.

Anyway, back to the point. Every Christmas Eve, my husband goes to our local 7-11 and hands the cashier $20, to buy a cup of coffee for the first 10 people who want one. One year, shortly after Christmas, the cashier handed my husband a lottery ticket. It seems that one of the recipients was so thankful, he wanted to reciprocate.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 03-02-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #30
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSears View Post
I've never understood how this works. How can I pay for my coffee and at the say time pay for the person behind me when they haven't even ordered yet. Do I just leave $5.00 and hope it covers it? How do you know what the cost of the next order will be?
In my case, we were standing at two different cashiers. I just told the other cashier I would take care of the other lady's purchase.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: