Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

FM Transmitter for iPhone???

I'm a little confused and I want to make sure I have everything straight before I drop $50-$80 on an audio device.

What I want to do is stream Pandora radio (and possibly Netflix) through my iPhone while we are travelling. I do it already, but without an external speaker, it is very difficult for the kids in the back seat to hear. I'd like to get one of the FM transmitters that will allow the audio to come through my car speakers. Will this work with streaming or will it only work for downloaded music and movies? Our car does not have an AUX audio jack so that is not an option. I'm thinking I want one that does an "autoscan" since we will be travelling from Michigan to South Carolina.

Any suggestions?

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
I'm a little confused and I want to make sure I have everything straight before I drop $50-$80 on an audio device.

What I want to do is stream Pandora radio (and possibly Netflix) through my iPhone while we are travelling. I do it already, but without an external speaker, it is very difficult for the kids in the back seat to hear. I'd like to get one of the FM transmitters that will allow the audio to come through my car speakers. Will this work with streaming or will it only work for downloaded music and movies? Our car does not have an AUX audio jack so that is not an option. I'm thinking I want one that does an "autoscan" since we will be travelling from Michigan to South Carolina.

Any suggestions?
How old is your car? I use a cassette adapter to play music from my iPhone in the car. It's a cheap and simple solution for someone like me with an old car that still has a cassette adapter.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Yoshi
DIS Veteran

I have one, I forget the brand (it might have been Griffin) since its in the other car that I bought for $10 at Macy's (original price was $50, it was from that electronic vending machine). It doesn't work well because you have to find a station that has a weak signal but also not have static which was very difficult to find and then while driving the signal strength seemed to change causing less or more static. It did work with streaming though.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
How old is your car? I use a cassette adapter to play music from my iPhone in the car. It's a cheap and simple solution for someone like me with an old car that still has a cassette adapter.
2007 Trailblazer and a 2004 Suburban...both have CD players only, no cassette deck.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Any FM transmitter should work, though some are probably better than others. You simply plug the transmitter into the headphone jack on your phone/tablet/laptop/etc. One problem with FM transmitters is that in a metropolitan area you are not likely to find an available station, so you will get interference. In rural areas you should be fine.

Do you by some chance have bluetooth on the vehicle. If you do and the bluetooth supports A2DP, you might be able to stream over Bluetooth.

BTW, $50-$80 is a lot to spend on an FM transmitter. Check out Amazon. I'm sure you'll find one much cheaper than that.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
djmeredith
DIS Veteran

A friend of mine found an FM transmitter in the auto dept of Wal Mart for less than $10. It worked pretty well but had only a limited number of stations you could choose to use.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
MickeyHereWeCome!
DIS Veteran

I've tried many of them. I absolutely LOVE the Flexsmart X2. I got it off of Amazon. The reception is perfect. It connects to your cigarette lighter and then gets a signal via bluetooth. You can listen to music or even use it to make speaker calls while driving. It even has a USB connector, so you can charge things while on the road.

This was the best purchase ever!

Animal Kingdom 2002
All Star Movies 2004
All Star Movies October 2006
Animal Kingdom Lodge January 2009
Offsite Surprise Trip June 2010
Surprise Trip July 2012, Bonnet Creek/AKL
MickeyHereWeCome! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

Ditto the flexmart X2.

That is what I use as well.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyHereWeCome!
I've tried many of them. I absolutely LOVE the Flexsmart X2. I got it off of Amazon. The reception is perfect. It connects to your cigarette lighter and then gets a signal via bluetooth. You can listen to music or even use it to make speaker calls while driving. It even has a USB connector, so you can charge things while on the road.

When you say it gets its signal via Bluetooth, does that mean my vehicle or my phone (or both) must have Bluetooth capability? I'm fairly certain that the Trailblazer does not have Bluetooth and I know the Suburban doesn't have it.

Oh, and the Suburban does have a cassette deck, but not the Trailblazer. Unfortunately, it is the Trailblazer that's going on the trip.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When you say it gets its signal via Bluetooth, does that mean my vehicle or my phone (or both) must have Bluetooth capability? I'm fairly certain that the Trailblazer does not have Bluetooth and I know the Suburban doesn't have it.
No, the vehicle does not have to have Bluetooth. You'll just pair the device with your phone.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
tinan
DIS Veteran

Bluetooth

I personally have tried multiple fm transmitters and I was never happy with the quality of them. My husband instead bought me a bluetooth transmitter that I can not only listen to what is playing out of my Iphone I can also use it for hands free talking. It was a little pricey at around $100, but it does not have the interference that all of the others had. It is a motorola t505. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyHereWeCome! View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3ds View Post
Ditto the flexmart X2.

That is what I use as well.
After your recommendations, I checked out a few reviews and this looks like it will work! I ordered one from Amazon (and finally took advantage of the Prime free trial) and I should have it by Tuesday.

Thanks for the advice and I will be sure to report back on how it works out.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

I love using it with my iphone and google maps. The GPS directions come through the car's speakers and you can use streaming music at the same time.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Strongly suggest looking for one that support using 87.9. Not all do, but pretty much no where has a radio station on that frequency, so you won't have to try to find an empty spot. The ones I have used with the autotune worked pretty poorly. More often than not the autotune would select a station that had music on it.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Any suggestions?
I take it you have unlimited data? I don't so I don't ever stream for any length of time if I'm not connected to Wifi. I do use an FM transmitter all of the time, though, to listen to my downloaded podcasts while I'm driving to/from work. When traveling, we also use it for the portable DVD player for the kids (so they can hear the movie through the car speakers) and that way, DH and I can hear the movie, too -- or we can just listen to other things on our phones w/ our ear buds. I think it would definitely work for streaming, but that would use a lot of data (and battery life) on a trip.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: