Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
dlhowell
Earning My Ears

Question Kids Clubs, open house, teenager watching the younger child?

We are getting ready for a trip on the Disney Magic with children ages 13, 11, 7, and 3. I only have ONE reservation made for the entire cruise, knowing that there may be issues with the 3 year old and the kids clubs, and it's for 10:30 brunch at Palo on one of the sea days.

With all of the open house hours possibly coming up, I was wondering if the younger child (the 3 year old in this case) would need to have one of his parents there, or would his 6' 1" 13-year old brother be good enough to accompany him while Mom and Dad eat?

It may not be an issue at all, but not knowing exactly what the kids club schedules will be, I was just curious if anyone has had experiences with leaving their child supervised by another member of the family. The 13-year old is listed as someone who can pick the 3-year old up from the kids clubs on the cruise contract, I think (on-line registration, seem to remember something about that...).

Thanks!
dlhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhowell View Post
We are getting ready for a trip on the Disney Magic with children ages 13, 11, 7, and 3. I only have ONE reservation made for the entire cruise, knowing that there may be issues with the 3 year old and the kids clubs, and it's for 10:30 brunch at Palo on one of the sea days.

With all of the open house hours possibly coming up, I was wondering if the younger child (the 3 year old in this case) would need to have one of his parents there, or would his 6' 1" 13-year old brother be good enough to accompany him while Mom and Dad eat?

It may not be an issue at all, but not knowing exactly what the kids club schedules will be, I was just curious if anyone has had experiences with leaving their child supervised by another member of the family. The 13-year old is listed as someone who can pick the 3-year old up from the kids clubs on the cruise contract, I think (on-line registration, seem to remember something about that...).

Thanks!
Can't answer the part about the 13 year old, but if the Club or Lab is in Open House, the other one is still secure programming. They don't allow both the Club and the Lab to have Open House at the same time, so your son could go to whichever one was in secure programming at the time.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thanks!
Worst case, could you not just leave your 13 year-old watching your 3 year-old in your cabin or around the ship for a couple hours? Or are you wanting some adult supervision?
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
dlhowell
Earning My Ears

I'm just concerned that he won't want to be left alone in the kids clubs at all - you never know until you get there! Also, we were planning on staying with him as much as possible since he is "newly" potty trained.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
dlhowell
Earning My Ears

That's a great point! I forgot that he doesn't have to be in the kids clubs - he could just hang out with big brother in the room!

Thanks. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to see.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!

Rules say, kids must be accompanied by a responsible ADULT - the 13 yr old doesn't qualify it...

Leave them locked in the room if anything and then again, only if you would leave the 13yr old in charge of the other two in your house...

But watching over 3 kids, I think it's a bit too much IMHO...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
dlhowell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Rules say, kids must be accompanied by a responsible ADULT - the 13 yr old doesn't qualify it...

Leave them locked in the room if anything and then again, only if you would leave the 13yr old in charge of the other two in your house...

He is being paid for as an "adult" and he certainly looks like an adult, but I was having difficulty finding the specific rule spelled out.

And, as I stated, it was only in reference to supervision of the 3 year old, not the other two, who I won't be able to pull away from the kids clubs.

I wouldn't consider asking the 13 year old to be responsible for all 3 younger siblings, and it's not like I'm not within walking distance...

Sorry if I fail as a parent for asking. I have no spa reservations, dinner reservations or excursions planned, I won't be going to any of the adult clubs, and I don't swim (so no adult pool area on the boat needed), so I was just curious about one 1-2 hour block of time where I might be able to do something that was adults only.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You are obviously not from a big family. I watched all my younger brothers (3 of them) from the time I was 8 quite often. I also have an older brother and sister, but they were useless in the child minding department, so I was usually the one to do it.

I don't think the 13 year old can be the supervision in the club open house, but he could take the 3 year old to a show, to get something to eat, to play the detective game (if on the Dream/Fantasy), to the splash zone, to the sports court to play mini golf. I don't see a reason to be locked in the room.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
one princess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
You are obviously not from a big family. I watched all my younger brothers (3 of them) from the time I was 8 quite often. I also have an older brother and sister, but they were useless in the child minding department, so I was usually the one to do it.

I don't think the 13 year old can be the supervision in the club open house, but he could take the 3 year old to a show, to get something to eat, to play the detective game (if on the Dream/Fantasy), to the splash zone, to the sports court to play mini golf. I don't see a reason to be locked in the room.

Nancy
I totally agree with this. Let them have some fun!
I also have to add, 13yo and 6'1" wow! My dd is 12 1/2 and 4'8" on a good day! She calls herself miniature. Next to your son, she really would be!
one princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow. Locked in the room sounds severe.

Only a Mom can know how capable her teen is to watch her younger child. Maturity, responsibility, previous experience, etc vary from child to child.

We shouldn't judge. I know I wouldn't want anyone to critisize my parenting practices or tell me how to raise my kids.

FTR, in the state of FL, a child is old enough to be allowed to stay home alone at 11 and to watch other kids based on their maturity level at that point. The state laws leave it up to the parents. I would have no problem leaving my 13 yr old to watch my three yr old while they go do some fun stuff around the ship!

A busy Mom of four shouldn't be made to feel guilty for wanting a little alone time with her hubby, especially if she has a reliable babysitter who loves her son as a brother does!

dlhowell, you go have fun! Do what works best for your family and enjoy your cruise!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
my3lilonkeyz
Earning My Ears

I have a 13 yr old Dd who is an amazing baby-sitter. She watches her 2 younger brothers anytime we ask as well as other people's children. My cousin has a 13 year old who is sweet as can be but I wouldn't trust her to watch my goldfish. Basically, if you trust him and feel he is mature enough I don't see an issue with it It is your vacation too so don't let anyone make you feel bad about having a little adult time. I am sure your 13 yr old will find plenty to do with your 3 yr old. If my 4 yo gives a problem on our cruise I will surely as dd if she can sit with him for a couple hours ar Palo...Btw I thought my dd was tall! She's 13 and 5'4, which is on the taller side for her class lol she would be shocked to hear his height

my3lilonkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Parents are required at the Club/Lab Open House and the 13-year-old would not be allowed to bring the 3-year-old regardless of how tall he is or how mature he looks - they know his age. However, he most certainly can watch the little one either in your stateroom or anywhere else onboard within whatever parameters you feel is appropriate. The 11-yr-old and 7-yr-old can be checked-in for secure programming at either the Club or Lab (they'll move the kids if necessary to remain in secured programming during an Open House).

Enjoy your Palo brunch and the rest of the cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
Wow. Locked in the room sounds severe.

A busy Mom of four shouldn't be made to feel guilty...
Who is causing anyone to feel guilty? The poster you replied to is giving her the answer. The 13 year old won't be able to be with the 3 year old in the Club/Lab during open house. He doesn't qualify.

That is specifically and exactly what the OP was asking about in the post that the PP responded to. The open house hours at the club/lab.

As for locked in the room, that certainly would be the safest, right? You can take it as severe, but it's what should happen. Safe and locked up.

When I was put in charge of my brother when I was 9, we LOCKED the house up. We knew the rules. No one could come in, and it was best if we stayed in, too. We lived semi-rurally and knew all our neighbors (even the drug-and-gun-dealing ones), but still, we locked ourselves up.

When I was 13 and my brother was 11, we still locked up and were careful. There is nothing wrong at all with telling someone to lock up a stateroom if a 13 year old is watching a younger sibling. Keep that balcony door closed, too!

And I think that 3 kids being watched by a 13 year old sounds like a bit much as well. I'm glad it was only 1 younger sib I was watching, especially b/c when I was 11 and he was 9 we had an altercation that resulted in the end of my finger being taken off suddenly (still scared of doors). If there were two others that had the potential of doing that to me, I might have run away!

If you have to watch that many, well that's your lot in life, but it doesn't mean it has to continue, and especially not on *vacation*. And remember that the OP hadn't yet said that the middle two would be in the club/lab, so the PP was just going with the info given!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

I belive "adult" on a disney cruise is 18. Unless he is a second adult equivalent in a room he is paying a kid rate in your room. Our last cruise, we were with friends and tried to have our friends 16 yr old added to the list of people able to pick up the kids and they said no. Our friends could be added but she would have had to be over 18 to be added.

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
samily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareds_mommy View Post
I belive "adult" on a disney cruise is 18. Unless he is a second adult equivalent in a room he is paying a kid rate in your room. Our last cruise, we were with friends and tried to have our friends 16 yr old added to the list of people able to pick up the kids and they said no. Our friends could be added but she would have had to be over 18 to be added.
That is odd as we have had my DD (15) and her best friend (14) as authorized to pick up my youngest son from the clubs for the past couple of years. When I asked if I could authorize my middle son, I was told he had to be 13 in order to do it.

Also, as far as open houses, last week on the Magic all of my kids were able to go in and out with my youngest without a parent.
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids club, open house

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: