Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
loreyb
Mouseketeer

Moderate opinions needed!

We are going to DW in October 13-19. We have stayed at most all of the values as well as the Dolpjin and Ft Wilderness. We have never stayed at a moderate. I am undecided and think I have it narrowed down to 2, CBR and POFQ. It is
Me- mom
DS-20
DS-9
DS7

I am even considering a split stay between the 2.

Please share you opinions on these resorts as well as the split stay idea.
loreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

You couldn't have picked 2 more different mod resorts. And they are my 2 favourites.

1. CBR: One of the most beautiful resorts IMO. I absolutely love the tranquil, colourful, tropic feel of the place. Because it is large and spread out it never feels crowded, even when it has high occupancy. I think the main pool area is the best of all the mods, and each "village" has its own quiet pool. But it still only has double beds. No word yet when it will get bed upgrades.

2. POFQ: The smallest of all the mods, and the only one without a TS restaurant (but the one at POR is just a walk away). It received a room refurb a couple of years ago and has queen beds now. Very easy to get around if you have someone who has difficulty walking any distance. Only one pool, and IMO is more suited to younger children as far as its slide goes. But you are allowed to use the main pool over at POR, too.

I don't think you'd be unhappy with either one.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
hillc95
Earning My Ears

I really enjoyed POFQ when we went last summer. It is smaller then CBR and a little more secluded. The food at Boatwrights was excellent and the overall feel of the resort was relaxing. I personally don't get into split stays, I feel that you never get to 'settle' in. Plus, it just gives us an excuse to have to come back and try the other resort we wanted.
hillc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
NicoleLarson
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both of these and I say POFQ hands down. I personally did not like how huge CBR was. I also liked the decor at POFQ better, it just seemed a bit nicer to me. The food court was nice and hot beignets in morning....yummy!
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Another hands down vote for POFQ; take advantage of the sister resort POR as well.

Also, the other advantage is you can end your evening in a resort, take the bus back to DTD, walk around a bit and take the water taxi back to POFQ.

It is a wonderful way to end the evening, without having to wait for a bus back from the park.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Those are the 2 mods that we have stayed at.

Now I will preface by saying that it is just hubby and I, no kids. We absolutely loved POFQ. It was quaint and romantic and just felt magical to us. We did not enjoy CBR. We just didn't feel the magic there.

We loved the boat to DTD from POFQ. I think we only used the pool once as we wanted to spend more time at the parks than at the pool. At CBR, we only used the quiet pool near us as the main pool was actually undergoing a major refurb at the time.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
loreyb
Mouseketeer

Thank you all so much for your feedback!
loreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Disfamguy
Mouseketeer

We have been twice and both times stayed at CBR. My family simply loves the place. We got a preferred room each time in the Martinique area.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
ColoradoMickeyFan
Earning My Ears

CBR would be my recommendation. Your 7 and 9 year old will LOVE the pool area, especially compared to the pool at POFQ. While some say the size of CBR is a negative, we love that it's more spread out. The landscaping is so beautiful and relaxing. It never seems crowded either. You can pay for a preferred room or save the money and request your stay in Aruba or Jamaica. Both of these "islands" are just a short (and beautiful) walk over the bridge to the main pool and dining. I think your DS20 would be fine at either resort but would also enjoy the pool more at CBR. The location can't be beat. You are a very short (5-6 min?) bus ride to both Epcot and the studios. It only takes about 10-12 minutes to both AK and MK. Also, you can see some of the fireworks from Epcot from CBR. This was a real hit with my kids to watch fireworks while swimming at night. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy. Have a great trip!
ColoradoMickeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
daannzzz
OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled egg salad
Enjoys the magic of Disneyland in December
: I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits

I much prefer CBR over POFQ. POFQ is nice but a little bland for me. It is small and easy to navigate and the pool is cute.
CBR is more fun to me. It is more colorful, has beaches and 7 pools as well as the main pool and water play area. I like the variety of architecture of the different villages as well. I also like the little bit larger rooms.
I see you have 3 boys. As a boy I would have also preferred CBR over POFQ.
daannzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Julie711
DIS Veteran

Have been to CBR 4x and love it!
We love the Caribbean vibe, music, landscaping, beaches. The main pool area is awesome & each island also has its own private pools & laundry service. We love the fact that it is larger because it doesn't feel do compacted with guests! We have never had issues with bus system, longest we waited was about 10 minutes. MK is the futherest park which is about 15 minutes.

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
dminnie
DIS Veteran

I think your kids would enjoy CBR more.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreyb View Post
We are going to DW in October 13-19. We have stayed at most all of the values as well as the Dolpjin and Ft Wilderness. We have never stayed at a moderate. I am undecided and think I have it narrowed down to 2, CBR and POFQ. It is
Me- mom
DS-20
DS-9
DS7

I am even considering a split stay between the 2.

Please share you opinions on these resorts as well as the split stay idea.
Sorry I'm no help here...Although they are ok. CSR Is by far the best mod. followed closely by POR....So I can't reslly comment on those but If it were bewteen those 2 that you chose, I would pick POFQ, so that you can utilize POR as well.. Good Luck & have fun.

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

CBR... The beach theme really is relaxing. Love lounging in the hammocks.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #15
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
CBR... The beach theme really is relaxing. Love lounging in the hammocks.
can't wait to try it out in June, now to find the thread for the resort.

we love the PORFQ but i just cannot justify paying $50 more a day than the CBR for a standard room via the spring code.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: