Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
When my kids have the stomach bug (or intestinal distress), I go behind them into the bathroom and wipe off the toilet handle, sink faucet, light switch, etc with bleach. Little kids are not the cleanest with their bathroom habits, and usually stomach viruses/bacteria are also carried in the intestine.
Not only little kids. Our ER was filled to the rafters yesterday with the local college kids. Norovirus has struck.
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Emetrol is the best at stopping the nausea immediately. It won't cure the underlying illness (only time and rest will do that), but man is it a lifesaver in instances like that.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
Upcoming Cruise: 7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

We are on the same cruise, and I'm so afraid that one of us is going to get sick before we depart!

I hope your child has a quick recovery and that no one else gets sick!!

WDW - Too many visits to count!
AOA - Jan 2013 CBR - Nov 2013 POR - Jan 2014 POP - Feb 2014
Disney Fantasy - EC, March 2013
W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
FloridaNative8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative8 View Post
We are on the same cruise, and I'm so afraid that one of us is going to get sick before we depart!

I hope your child has a quick recovery and that no one else gets sick!!
we are local central floridians as well. we live over in east orlando.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
Its quite comical how this always happens right before vacation. The kids have been models of great health for the better part of 6 months. I week to go and BAM!, stomach bug.
What kills me is she is in daycare and I know illnesses always get passed around daycare but why dont parents keep their kids home if they are sick. You know that morning if you kids arent feeling well, dont risk the health of other kids because you have to at least show up for work.
I spoke with the front desk and I guess one of the kids in her classroom threw up in the classroom on Wednesday.
I worked in a daycare when my kids were small. I was in the room with 1-2 yr olds.
We had an outbreak of chicken pox one year and a parent and her child clearly broken out with the pox come walking in with the calamine lotion in hand. When we explained she couldn't bring her daughter in with the open pox still on her skin, I swear she dropped the kid in the classroom and turned to run and leave saying well she got them here. The director of the school went out after explaining how she would have to call child protective services if she didn't come take her daughter.

I understand she had to go to work. But every other parent thats child got them had to take time off just the same way she would.
Best part was her husband worked from home.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #21
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
I worked in a daycare when my kids were small. I was in the room with 1-2 yr olds.
We had an outbreak of chicken pox one year and a parent and her child clearly broken out with the pox come walking in with the calamine lotion in hand. When we explained she couldn't bring her daughter in with the open pox still on her skin, I swear she dropped the kid in the classroom and turned to run and leave saying well she got them here. The director of the school went out after explaining how she would have to call child protective services if she didn't come take her daughter.

I understand she had to go to work. But every other parent thats child got them had to take time off just the same way she would.
Best part was her husband worked from home.
OMG - I can't believe that!! In my son's daycare (just his class and one other), there was an outbreak of Hand/Foot/Mouth... our son got it particularly bad, and we kept him out a whole week. I would NEVER subject other kids to an illness if at all possible. That's just so irresponsible

W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
we are local central floridians as well. we live over in east orlando.
We are in Tampa, it'll be nice just driving over next Saturday morning!

I was going to send you the link for the Cruise Meet Thread, but I just saw that you posted there!!

W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

already on it. LOL

Kids were counting down the days to the cruise, now the little one is feeling horrible.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
adamsclan
Mouseketeer

Our youngest had a stomach bug a week before we were to leave on our last cruise. We decided to go as planned and if anyone seemed sick, to just hang out in Florida. Everybody felt fine...Until day 3 of the cruise. My 14 year old boy got the WORST GI bug and then it went thru the other guys in our group. He slept the majority of the cruise and we mostly stayed in our cabin. We knew it was a gamble, so we weren't upset. But we missed out a lot to avoid spreading the bug to anyone else. We ate room service in the room a lot.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclan View Post
Our youngest had a stomach bug a week before we were to leave on our last cruise. We decided to go as planned and if anyone seemed sick, to just hang out in Florida. Everybody felt fine...Until day 3 of the cruise. My 14 year old boy got the WORST GI bug and then it went thru the other guys in our group. He slept the majority of the cruise and we mostly stayed in our cabin. We knew it was a gamble, so we weren't upset. But we missed out a lot to avoid spreading the bug to anyone else. We ate room service in the room a lot.
Blah! Glad you were able to enjoy parts of the cruise, but I am praying this passes through by middle of next week. I did take the advice and buy some Emetrol if anybody else starts to feel sick. I can handle feeling bad, but I hate throwing up.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #26
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Youngest dd is feeling better.no more throwing up and so far the rest of us are still feeling good. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #27
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly
Youngest dd is feeling better.no more throwing up and so far the rest of us are still feeling good. Keeping my fingers crossed!
So glad to hear this!!! Praying no one else gets it and you have a fantastic vacation!!!
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

oldest caught the bug this morning. ugghh
Youngest was finally symptom free yesterday evening as she wolfed down some chicken nuggets.
Only 4 more days so hopefully this doesnt spread anymore and it ends with the oldest.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
csidisney
Mouseketeer

We are on your cruise too. I hope you are all better ASAP! I am so afraid of getting sick right before or during the cruise...that would be awful. Hopefully we will all have healthy families!
csidisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #30
mamabug70
Amy L

I had an Oscar party last Sunday night. My niece attended and had been throwing up the whole night before, but she's pregnant so we attributed it to that. Then Sunday night after the party, my other niece got it. Two days later my DD 13 and my sister got it. I was freaking out because I'm in the medical field and am not allowed to miss work - even for the stomach flu. I did some research on the Internet on how to avoid getting it, and read several posts about Welch's sugar free (or no sugar added) grape juice. Several people had posted and said it worked for them. I was skeptical but tried it anyway. They said you have to be symptom free or it won't work (and you don't want to vomit purple grape juice - it stains!). 3 glasses a day for 3 days while someone in your house has the stomach flu. Anyway, my other DD, my DH, and I all did this and none of us got it. My niece's husband was home sick with it yesterday. So idk if this really works or just a coincidence, but hey.. I love grape juice so not much of an inconvenience!

1998 POFQ
1998 Boardwalk
1999-2007 yearly off property
2006 POP
2008 AKL-Jambo
2009 off property
2010 POR
2011 AKL-Kidani
2012 POFQ
2012 AOA Lion King Suite
mamabug70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread