Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

The Dreaded Stomach Bug!

We are 1 week from sailing on the Fantasy and our youngest just caught a stomach bug. uggghhh. I am hoping this runs its course quickly and doesnt jump to her sister or us.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

I think washing hands with soap and water is supposed to be the best method of prevention. Good luck and so sorry!
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Open those windows and get some fresh air in. Lysol everything and wash everyones sheets!!!!

Good Luck.

Hope she feels better soon
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

Good luck. We just had a stomach bug that lasted five days. First my three year old had it than me. I hope your family recovers quick.
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

all bedding was washed last night, oldest was told to stay away from youngest and to wash hands if she goes near her. My wife is staying home with her so hopefully with some rest this will pass quickly. I am at least thankful this has happened this weekend instead of next when we would be boarding the ship
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
all bedding was washed last night, oldest was told to stay away from youngest and to wash hands if she goes near her. My wife is staying home with her so hopefully with some rest this will pass quickly. I am at least thankful this has happened this weekend instead of next when we would be boarding the ship
Isn't it when you tell your kids to stay away from each other, they need to be close? LOL

You guys have an amazing cruise!!!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly
Sounds like you're taking every precaution. Praying you'll have a fantastic trip with no sickness! Keep us updated.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
jenf22
DIS Veteran

We always reach for Culturelle when we get stomach bugs. Nothing like good bugs to beat up on the bad ones! Best of luck to you!
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2jcg View Post
I think washing hands with soap and water is supposed to be the best method of prevention. Good luck and so sorry!
And bleach!!

for a speedy recovery!!
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Its quite comical how this always happens right before vacation. The kids have been models of great health for the better part of 6 months. I week to go and BAM!, stomach bug.
What kills me is she is in daycare and I know illnesses always get passed around daycare but why dont parents keep their kids home if they are sick. You know that morning if you kids arent feeling well, dont risk the health of other kids because you have to at least show up for work.
I spoke with the front desk and I guess one of the kids in her classroom threw up in the classroom on Wednesday.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

When DS was smaller, we avoided his stomach bug, and I think it was religious hand-washing. Every time we had contact with him, especially cleaning him up, we'd wash hands. One thing to be aware of is that if it's norovirus, it's insanely contagious, and you just need like a couple of microscopic virus particles to get sick. One way people contract it is being near folks when they vomit, it kind of aerosolizes into the air. Stay back away from someone who is vomiting.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
Its quite comical how this always happens right before vacation. The kids have been models of great health for the better part of 6 months. I week to go and BAM!, stomach bug.
What kills me is she is in daycare and I know illnesses always get passed around daycare but why dont parents keep their kids home if they are sick. You know that morning if you kids arent feeling well, dont risk the health of other kids because you have to at least show up for work.
I spoke with the front desk and I guess one of the kids in her classroom threw up in the classroom on Wednesday.
In fairness to the daycare, DS is a "gaggy" kiddo, and has often thrown up at meals where he chokes, doesn't like the texture, or has something too big in his mouth. It's not uncommon, and vomit doesn't always mean illness. When DS was smaller, he'd sometimes vomit after sleeping or napping if he had a cold, the post-nasal drip would cause mucus to accumulate in his stomach and he'd throw that up. That's illness, but not GI illness. It's sometimes hard to tell what's going on with little ones.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
In fairness to the daycare, DS is a "gaggy" kiddo, and has often thrown up at meals where he chokes, doesn't like the texture, or has something too big in his mouth. It's not uncommon, and vomit doesn't always mean illness. When DS was smaller, he'd sometimes vomit after sleeping or napping if he had a cold, the post-nasal drip would cause mucus to accumulate in his stomach and he'd throw that up. That's illness, but not GI illness. It's sometimes hard to tell what's going on with little ones.
manateesmom, i am in no way referring to a child who has a condition in which causes him to get sick. I am referring to a child who is sent to school when they are sick. We all know our kids well enough to see if they are out of sorts in the morning. Or even if they get sick the night before parents still send them to school because well, they didnt throw up in the morning.

I dont want to turn this topic into that though, that was not my intention at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

When my kids have the stomach bug (or intestinal distress), I go behind them into the bathroom and wipe off the toilet handle, sink faucet, light switch, etc with bleach. Little kids are not the cleanest with their bathroom habits, and usually stomach viruses/bacteria are also carried in the intestine.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Ugh. I feel for you. All 6 of us came down with Narovirus last week. It's awful. Sounds like you are already doing what you should. Hope you all feel better soon!!!

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: