Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Welcome to the Disboards.

From DCL; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

"Question
What items are not permitted on board?

Answer

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

"Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives, including dive knives, swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances."

ETA; Apparently we can't bring hookah pipes either. I don't recall that one last time I reviewed the restricted items.
Well that's really going to interfere my next sailing.

I suppose the list needs constant updating as passengers push the limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcchello View Post
The answers you are getting here are just peoples opinions and interpretations of what they read. You can contact Disney Cruise Line and asked them the question

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contact-us/

That way you can get an official answer. I do not think the proper thing is to risk the loss of your knife due to peoples opinion or lapses in security and detection.

I can't imagine a Disney security personal being impressed by quoting what someone said on the Disboards. But Sir, On the disboards they said it would be OK.

The official answer was given here.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1153rsmith
I understand DCL's rules, however, it amazes me at the hysteria we have now over this. A pocket knife is no more of a weapon than a ball point pen or a set of keys. I am a country boy from the south. I carry a pocket knife with me everywhere I go.

Of course, in this day and time where a drawing of a gun can get you in trouble, I shouldn't be surprised.

That being said... if that is the policy, it should be complied with. I just think we have gone overboard (no pun intended) on things these days.
I agree with this. I was stating what I believed DCL's policy would be, not what I personally perceive to be a weapon. Maybe I let my background as a flight attendant influence my thoughts here, and I do understand that DCL is not as strict as TSA. It is a shame, though, that so many ordinary things can be perceived as weapons.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
The official answer was given here.
I personally interpret the Disney restriction as saying no knifes also, but if a person, as at least on person on this thread interprets it some other way, the OP if they have a question can always confirm it by asking DCL directly.

I personally gave up carrying a Swiss army knife years ago, considering all the places I go that will confiscate it.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo1009 View Post
Oh dear! I'm so glad I read this because I was planning to pack a small kitchen knife (one of the little ceramic paring knives) so I could cut up apples and such for my child.

Sounds like this is a big NO NO ??? Or are we talking knives more typically perceived as weapons???

Perhaps I could "borrow" a steak knife from room service???

They DO mean no knives at all. Other than when we were in a suite and could order from Palo's menu, I've not seen room service bring anything more than a butter-type knife. Or one that would cut a sandwich in half....not sharp enough to peel an apple. You'd have to get a steak knife from the dining room. Or "bend" the rules and pack a small knife.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

I just remembered, we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise with my wife's family. My son and my nephew had both bought a completely wooden machette in port that had St. Marteen painted on it. As we were going through separate security lines to get back on the ship, nothing was said about my son's that was in a bag, but my nephew's handle was sticking out of a bag and it got taken. It was a wooden knife. It could not have cut hot butter, and it was thin enough, it would have broken if you had tried to hit someone with it... yet it was taken from him.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1153rsmith View Post
I just remembered, we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise with my wife's family. My son and my nephew had both bought a completely wooden machette in port that had St. Marteen painted on it. As we were going through separate security lines to get back on the ship, nothing was said about my son's that was in a bag, but my nephew's handle was sticking out of a bag and it got taken. It was a wooden knife. It could not have cut hot butter, and it was thin enough, it would have broken if you had tried to hit someone with it... yet it was taken from him.

I know a group of people who like to dress in great costumes on Pirate Night. One of them has a costume of Jack Sparrow that's better than the CM onboard. He had to get special permission to have a fake knife in the scabbard of his costume. And I think his was rubber, or plastic.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
I know a group of people who like to dress in great costumes on Pirate Night. One of them has a costume of Jack Sparrow that's better than the CM onboard. He had to get special permission to have a fake knife in the scabbard of his costume. And I think his was rubber, or plastic.
That is funny... especially considering they sell plastic swords, knives, and guns on the ship for pirate night.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

It ironic that a person cannot bring a sharp knife onboard, yet if you order steak at dinner, they'll give you one.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcchello View Post
I personally interpret the Disney restriction as saying no knifes also, but if a person, as at least on person on this thread interprets it some other way, the OP if they have a question can always confirm it by asking DCL directly.

I personally gave up carrying a Swiss army knife years ago, considering all the places I go that will confiscate it.
DCL will take any and all knives. I have personally seen it happen twice with Swiss Army type knives. Also, on the Alaskan itinerary they take all Ulu knives (rounded chopping knife) from those that purchase them in port. You get a claim ticket and pick it up in the terminal at the end of the cruise.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
slg
DIS Veteran

Not the same thing but I bought one of the delightful butter knives shaped like a paintbrush on the fantasy and stupidly had it in my carry-on. It was confiscated at the airport. I was so upset as its a BUTTER knife and my pen could as dangerous, but a knife is a knife.

Sob.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
It ironic that a person cannot bring a sharp knife onboard, yet if you order steak at dinner, they'll give you one.

Woody

Just like First Class on an airplane. Go figure.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

Just like First Class on an airplane. Go figure.
The last few years whenever I've flown First Class they serve my meal with metal silverware except for the knife, which is plastic.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
The last few years whenever I've flown First Class they serve my meal with metal silverware except for the knife, which is plastic.

We had a "real" steak knife on USAirways this past summer. I've only flown in First Class on USAirways, so I don't know if some are different than others.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #29
tracyheartsmickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
DCL will take any and all knives. I have personally seen it happen twice with Swiss Army type knives. Also, on the Alaskan itinerary they take all Ulu knives (rounded chopping knife) from those that purchase them in port. You get a claim ticket and pick it up in the terminal at the end of the cruise.
Do you think they would do the same thing in Nassau? My sons collect knives and we always look for knives when we travel. (It gets harder and harder to find souvenirs for teenagers.)
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillaMagilla View Post
Several years ago we did a Med cruise on DCL out of Barcelona. We arrived in Barcelona several days prior to embarkation and in the course of touring my son picked up a knife at a shop in the old town part of the city. Out of forgetfullness we didn't think about the "weapon" policy on DCL and packed his knife away in our luggage.

I don't know how DCL scans bags, but it whatever method they use is not "state of the art," since DCL security didn't find the knife (yes, it stayed packed away while we were on the cruise, I agree with those who say there is really no need for these things while ashore on excursions).

So while I'm not recommending violating the policy, the enforcement is not ironclad.
It is probably the same technology the TSA uses.

Actually you can take a knife on the plane in your checked bag.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: