Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

AKL Savannah view worth paying almost double over pool view?

I'm an AP holder and priced out various different resort stays with the current AP room discount offer.

When I priced out rooms at AKL with the discount, Savaanah view rooms were nearly double the price of pool view rooms (with tax, about $480 a night for a Savannah view room and around $280 a night for a pool view room).

Basically, it looks as if the Savannah view rooms aren't discounted much at all whereas the pool view rooms have a decent discount applied to an already lower price (by way of further comparison, with the discount, even Poly garden view rooms were more than $100 a night less than AKL Savannah view rooms).

If staying at AKL, would you pay $480 a night for a Savannah view room when you could get a pool view room for $280? Is having a view from your balcony of the animals really worth $200 a night?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
NicoleLarson
Mouseketeer

I would say, no way. There are tons of viewing areas within the resort to look at the animals I just don't see how on earth it would be worth an extra $200/night to see them from your balcony. There are even communial balconies/porches that have really nice rockers on them, that are hardly ever used. Did you happen to price out the club level rooms? They are all savannah view but are usually included and I have heard several times people saying that they can get them for cheaper than a regular savannah view...just a thought.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

We stayed there twice, both times Savannah view. I don't remember it being that much of a difference but I had an AP at that time and our discount was a certain percentage off right across the board. It was like 40% (?) I believe at that time I think we paid about $265/nite. To answer your question is it worth it? IMO "Yes". Absolutely. That, for me, is an important part of our staying there. Many will disagree w/me, but I'm just telling you that if I couldn't stay SV I'd probably choose somewhere else to stay. We used our balcony all the time. Did room service breakfast most days on our balcony watching the animals. We are big time animal lovers and just really took time to enjoy this resort in every way possible. We spent quite a few resort only days while here as well. So I guess it will depend on your family's plans. This resort is a fairly long way from MK and kind of everywhere except AK park...so you might want to factor that in too if you have small children. One of our stays there we had our DGD 3 at that time, and we did alot of afternoon down time. For me and DH it was nice sitting watching the animals while she napped, gave us some great down time as well. Wish your discount for SV could be better...I'd just save the extra money somewhere else and give myself the SV treat...

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

It really depends. You'll need to take this for what it's worth because I'm not an animal fan at all, but I really enjoy AKL for so many other reasons. (My favorite resorts are BC, BWI and Poly . . . so you see where I'm going with this!) I love everything beach/water/pool, so I would prefer a pool view room regardless of cost. And for half the cost? Definitely! Our family was really happy taking a walk around, looking at the animals, and then getting back to the pool or sitting out on our balcony overlooking the pool. I think the AKL pool view is one of the best deals around!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
gwynne
DIS Veteran

I was kind of surprised last trip when I booked a pool view room, and really all I could see was trees. The pool was nearly totally obscured by branches and leaves.
I don't know why they advertise rooms like that as pool view. Having said that, I'm sure they have some rooms that get a real view of the pool. I guess you take your chances.
Otherwise, it's a fabulous resort. If you decide to not book savanna view, as others have said, there are lots of viewing areas all around the resort.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've had both views and while the savanna view was great, we loved the pool view just as much and wouldn't hesitate to book it again. As the pp said, there are plenty of viewing areas around the resort to watch the animals. If it were me, I'd save the money and go with the pool view.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Wow! Double?

At double the price, I don't know. We loved our savanah view. Best view from a Disney hotel ever! However, if it was double the pool view, I'd have to think about it. As I recall there is an area near the pool that the animals come very close to, but may not be able to see that area from the rooms. How much will you be in your room. Because we had a savanah view, we spent more time than we might have otherwise. We ate breakfast on the balcony every morning as the animals were settling in for the day and it was great!
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

We loved our savannah view and I would recommend to any AKL fan at some point, but in general, there are a ton of viewing areas. It also depends how much time you spend in your rooms - we enjoyed early mornings out on the balcony (and late nights, even though most of the animals were asleep by then), so it was worth it for us.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

I slept better without the savannah view. With the Savannah view I kept waking up at night to look at the animals. On a Disney trip I find sleep important so I would choose the pool view. The last time we stayed in a standard 1br in Kidani, and loved it.
Donna
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
...If staying at AKL, would you pay $480 a night for a Savannah view room when you could get a pool view room for $280? Is having a view from your balcony of the animals really worth $200 a night?
You are asking and you would be the one paying the extra $200/night if you select savanna view. My thought is that you are asking because you don't think so, but want to ask in case you are overlooking something. It sounds like the discounts savanna rooms are gone. Worth is defined by your wallet, desire to see animals from your room and what would be the impact of the higher rate room on your over all plans. Personally, we book early to get max discounts noting your nightly rate is more than we paid for club with savanna view/bunkbeds

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

No! Not worth paying that much difference! We've done both pool view and savannah view numerous times. Although it's lovely to wake up to the animals, it would be far lovelier having that extra cash to spend on souvenirs!

ETA, just look at that pool in my sig! Is it not pretty?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

No way no how.... Nothing is worth that much!

How much time are you actually going to lounge on the balcony in a day....

We most always have balconies at other resorts we stay at ( not AKL, hate the place) and a gawk out there a few times a day is it.... If we ain't at a park, we're at the pool!!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
hillc95
Earning My Ears

We stayed at AKL pool view back in Jan. and thought we had a great room. There were plenty of places around the resort for us to get our fair share of animal watching. I would imagine if you were spending a ton of time in the room simply to animal watch then it might be worth it but for us we saw most of the animals when going to/from other areas in the resort.
hillc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
GoofyLo
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We loved having the SV but I don't think it's worth $200 more per night. I think someone else suggested checking the club level prices. We stayed there last spring break and saw giraffes below our room every day. I'm a giraffe lover, but if it wasn't club level with SV I don't think it would have been worth the extra cost.

We were there again in September and didn't have SV. Our view was of the bus stop. However we still enjoyed the animals around the resort. Every window we passed walking to our room my DD would look for animals, we used outside sitting areas to sip beverages and look at animals, and we used the outside observation desks. It's nice to enjoy them outside your balcony, but there are ample opportunities around the resort.
GoofyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

For us - absolutely not. We have stayed at AKL in a Pool View room twice and loved it - never once felt like we were *missing* out. The Pool View rooms are all centrally located - We had a 3 minute walk to the pool - 5 minutes to the Mara and maybe 8 minute walk to our car. We were on the second floor by the hot tub and never once did we hear any noise from the pool.
We booked AKL under the current Spring Promo - and you are correct - the Sav. views are not included in the discount. In fact when the promo came out, the information said standard room only - we were very suprised when we called and it included Pool View.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: