Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
jmjlmad145
Earning My Ears

Signing up for vacation club on the cruise

Can anybody tell me if they have signed up for the DVC while on the cruise, and if so, how easy/hard is the process? Thanks!
jmjlmad145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
DisneyBill

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjlmad145 View Post
Can anybody tell me if they have signed up for the DVC while on the cruise, and if so, how easy/hard is the process? Thanks!
Welcome to the DIS! You may get more replies by posting your question over on one of the DVC boards.

We haven't but I know many purchase DVC while cruising with good and easy results.
DisneyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
jmjlmad145
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much, DisneyBill! Will do.
jmjlmad145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Jendisney9
Earning My Ears

I bought vacation club while we were in the Baltic. You fill out application, sign for credit report, papers arrive about a week later and get it all signed and set up for payments....figure out how you want things deeded. We have two contracts, each child will get half the points if the day comes. The best incentives are on the boat. Don't worry disney will assist everything in this process. Not sure how long it took to close. If you don't need to finance the deal, I would look into buying used points and save some money.
Jendisney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
lovesparkdisney
Earning My Ears

Unless you want to use your points for a cruise I would always buy secondhand much cheaper.
lovesparkdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
cheesehead3
Earning My Ears

bought points onboard

We purchased points on board, it was easy just had to give them a credit card for the down payment. The little extras and discounts did help and these change as they were different on our next cruise. The times for the meeting with the actual sales person, not just the ones giving the presentations were very open first three days of the the 7 day cruise then he was more popular and it was harder to find a time, so if you are interested he can give the same information as in the DVC meetings just no drawing for the credit.

HTH
Charles
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

We not only bought DVC on a cruise, we also added on twice more, both times on cruises. You get the best deals on board the ships, I believe.

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Buying direct is very simple. But buying on a cruise means there is very limited time, so I would make SURE that you know everything about DVC before you buy. If you haven't done so already, read read read here, so there are no surprises!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Trinity524
DIS Veteran

Would anyone mind sharing their deal? how much down and what was the deal?

Trinity524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Purplejewel
Purplejewel

We did not do our original purchase with DVC while on a cruise but we have signed up 4 additional times for more points while on a cruise because they offer the best incentives to buy if you are on a cruise. We just got of the Fantasy two weeks ago and purchased more points while onboard. We received a $500 credit off the total price of the plan and they were offering a $500 on-board credit for anyone that purchased a NEW plan or added points to any of their plans (that was a NEW incentive we have never seen before) but we had worked out a deal with our DVC representative in Florida prior to going on the cruise so she applied the $500 on-board credit to the total price of the plan too so that the purchase price was lower for us, therefore, making the monthly payments more affordable for us. Purchasing more points is an extremely simple and very quick process on a cruise becuase you are already preapproved. But, I am sure doing an original purchase with DVC on a cruise would be just as easy. It might take a little longer though. Hope you decide to become a DVC memeber. My DH and love it and so do our four daughters. I guarantees fantastic vactions each year.

10 cruises (3-Wonder; 3-Magic; 1-Dream; 3-Fantasy)
Purplejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
dpswift
DIS Veteran

We did not buy but the deal offered last week on the Wonder was $140 a point
you had to buy at least 100 points and to get the on board credit you had to buy 160 points. They also prorated it to Sept so you got last years points as well. He also said that they were planning an increase for March.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

I think the price of buying direct is getting to the point that you really should consider buying resale. The only thing you really lose is the Disney collection(which includes the cruise),and the concierge collection( which gets worse every year IMO). You can still trade into RCI. The real bang for your buck comes in using DVC properties, and resale has the same benefits as direct using DVC properties.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Madhattr
Mouseketeer

We did last month on The Dream. Was smooth, painless and very efficient. After literally years of research I finally I just didn't want the hassle of resale. We purchased 240 BWV points and couldn't be happier. We already have the incentive 2012 points banked, our membership cards and three ressies for 2013.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I bought direct after hearing all of the reasons not to. I wanted ultimate flexibility. I didn't buy on my cruise because I wanted to take a few months to research all if the options. If I had bern ready buying on the cruise gives you the best deal because if you buy at least s certain number of points you get $500 in onboard credit. I bought 3 months later. Do your research now. Ask about this on the DVC boards. Most people will recommend buying resale though. Discussing it over there was still a helpful process though. The only ones they sell onboard right now that gives you the hefty OBC are Aulani and Animal Kingdom. I'm sure the Grand Floridian will be sold onboard when it's released.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Reading the other replies made me realize..... If you are being offered onboard credit, make sure you can spend it! We did the Dvc presentations because we got invitations as members and it was a nice break, but we started on day 2 of a three night cruise. Our bill at the end reflected an arcade card and a glass of wine (and tips). We were not big spenders and that onboard credit would have been somewhat useless. So make sure you have purchases in mind and have time to spend it

Resale does not allow the use of points for cruises anymore, and doesn't get you access to the Dvc member cruises either, even if you are paying with cash.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: