Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
MLC2002
Mouseketeer

Ideas for dinner/fun with 90-year old... and kids

My 90-year-old grandma will be visiting us for 1 night of our Disney trip this summer. We'd like to treat her to a special dinner/evening. I'd love some ideas, given these parameters...

--Must be something outside of the parks, that doesn't require park admission... so, most likely at one of the resorts. (We are staying at Old Key West, but are willing to drive or take a cab.)

--Must also be something appropriate/enjoyable for 6 & 7 year old boys.

We have thought about dinner at Ohana timed to see Wishes from the Poly. But, other suggestions are also appreciated.

THANK YOU!
MLC2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

What about dinner at Sanaa or Boma? Sanaa is sit-down, Boma is buffet and both are great and a bit different. You can watch the animals outside the windows in Sanaa or go outside to see them from Boma, so that would be fun for the boys.

TP
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC2002 View Post
My 90-year-old grandma will be visiting us for 1 night of our Disney trip this summer. We'd like to treat her to a special dinner/evening. I'd love some ideas, given these parameters...

--Must be something outside of the parks, that doesn't require park admission... so, most likely at one of the resorts. (We are staying at Old Key West, but are willing to drive or take a cab.)

--Must also be something appropriate/enjoyable for 6 & 7 year old boys.

We have thought about dinner at Ohana timed to see Wishes from the Poly. But, other suggestions are also appreciated.

THANK YOU!
Maybe some more information would be helpful. Is your grandmother mobile? What do your boys like? (Characters, pirates, doesn't matter). What's your price range?

If you can swing it, I would suggest Hoop Dee Do Musical Revue but that might be a hefty bill.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
MLC2002
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the suggestions. My grandmother is mobile, although she has had a stroke and thus can't do a lot of walking or standing. Our boys like just about everything & love the characters (not so much the princesses, but most other characters). We went to Mickey's Backyard BBQ last trip & they enjoyed it... although it is outside and was very hot. Hoop Dee Do might be a good idea. I will check into it more. Keep sending suggestions!
MLC2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Fun for the boys does kinda limit the options since the Signature restaurants probably wouldn't be much fun for them.

The options I can think of that might meet your criteria are: HDDR, Luau at the Poly, WCC at Wilderness Lodge, Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, Rainforest Cafe or T-Rex at DTD, or Garden Grove at the Swan.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

My pick would be a before-sunset dinner at Sanaa with a table overlooking the savannah with all the animals. It's a beautiful restaurant, reasonably priced and definitely has a big dose of Disney magic. The only drawback would be if some in your party really don't like Indian/African flavors. Check out a menu and photos!
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC2002 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. My grandmother is mobile, although she has had a stroke and thus can't do a lot of walking or standing. Our boys like just about everything & love the characters (not so much the princesses, but most other characters). We went to Mickey's Backyard BBQ last trip & they enjoyed it... although it is outside and was very hot. Hoop Dee Do might be a good idea. I will check into it more. Keep sending suggestions!
So that leaves out the buffets. I was going to suggest Biergarten but that's a buffet. Still think Hoop Dee Do Revue is your best option. It's silly, corny fun that the kids can easily enjoy and I think your grandmother would have fun. Just check the menu and make sure it's agreeable to everyone.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Could your boys deal with tea at the Grand Floridian? Or dinner at 1900 Park Fayre? The Ugle Sisters there are very entertaining. Very un princess like!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby
Could your boys deal with tea at the Grand Floridian? Or dinner at 1900 Park Fayre? The Ugle Sisters there are very entertaining. Very un princess like!!!!
1900 is a buffet thou. Thats not easy for 90 yr old.

I think your best options are:
-A signature restaurant like citricos or narcoossees. (Not fun for the kids thou).
-TRex or Rainforest Cafe
-GF Cafe (not fun for kids thou).
-Sanaa. I think this is your best option.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
mmmears
DIS Veteran

My first thought was 'Ohana and then watching Wishes (and the EWP), but you already thought of that one.

Another is having dinner at AKL (either Sanaa, Boma or Jiko depending on your preference) then staying and taking some time to view the animals. There are some nice chairs out there on the overlooks, so your grandmother could sit down.

Or how about Whispering Canyon Cafe at the WL? We had a fun time there -- our server put my DH in jail for some reason (still sitting at the table). They have a BBQ all you can eat dinner, plus other a la carte items. And they have "bottomless" milkshakes in lots of different flavors (My DD enjoyed that!)

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

We held our wedding

dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo and our group included my father (then 85) and my wife's father (then 80) along with the rest of our family ages 6-60 and everyone had a great time! My dad couldn't get around with out his wheel chair and it didn't stop him from having a great time!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I'm going to suggest the obvious. Since you are staying at OKW you can eat at Olivia's right there at your resort. It might not be entertaining for your kids but it will be close, convenient, very affordable and they have good food. You have the whole rest of your vacation to worry about making sure the kids have fun at the dinner ADR's but for one night with grandma I would do the easy thing at eat right there at my resort.

If you are really looking for great entertainment for everybody I would also recommend Hoop Dee Doo but it might not be very grandma friendly having to take the internal bus at Ft Wilderness to go back to the restaurant. You have to park at the front of the resort or take a bus from your resort to a park then to Ft Wilderness. Once you park your car you have to walk over to the bus pick up for the resort which may or may not be anywhere close to where you have to park. Then board the bus to go back to HDDR. If you don't get there at least 45 minutes early you simply won't find any place to park but if you do get there that early grandma will have to stand in line outside HDDR waiting to get in. They don't open the doors and start letting ppl in until 5 minutes before the show starts.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Tortuga Rob
Dead men tell no tales.......

I would say WCC or Ohana as well. They would be my first choices. You have Planet Hollywood, T-Rex and Rainforest at DTD as well. You could take the bus there and back too if you did not want to drive. Good luck with your choice!

Nov 1983, Nov 1984, Feb 1994, Feb 1995 Offsite
Oct 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites
Oct 2005 POP/OKW/CS MNSSHP
Sept 2006 POP Free DDP MNSSHP
May 2007 POP DDP
Nov 2010 POP Free DDP
May 2012 POP/POR Free DDP
Sept 2013 POR MNSSHP Free DDP

(Rob), (SnowWhite), (DD 16), (DS 10), (DD 4)
Tortuga Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer

I was thinking that hopping on the boat at OKW and heading to DD for dinner at Raglan Road would be fun (with food options I think a 90 year old would enjoy), but it is very loud in there. I don't know if that is an issue. Ohana is loud too, and the menu is a lot of meat.

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12
I'm going to suggest the obvious. Since you are staying at OKW you can eat at Olivia's right there at your resort. It might not be entertaining for your kids but it will be close, convenient, very affordable and they have good food. You have the whole rest of your vacation to worry about making sure the kids have fun at the dinner ADR's but for one night with grandma I would do the easy thing at eat right there at my resort.
I agree with this. You have your whole vacation to entertain the kids. Surely they can manage without entertainment for one night? Finding a non park restaurant thats both fun for kids and appropriate for a 90 yr old is very tricky. Trex and RFC are both good but loud, ditto for Raglan road. Also think about how far of a walk it is to each of those places in DTD.

WCC is quite loud too.

Olivias is a great idea. Very convenient. Sanaa is another good choice, as well as a signature restaurant like Citricos.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: