Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
DisneyCrazMom
Mouseketeer

I have experience with this. My son who was 3 weeks short of 3 on our cruise. Absolutely no pull ups for sanitary reasons, child must be an independent pottier. No parents allowed in kids restrooms. If child is found with pull up, he will be ask to leave. If child has an accident they can ask you not to bring them back. Take your child in during open house hours. It is a tough age to cruise at the almost 3 year old age, to old for nursery to young for kids club.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
Betsy82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofduck View Post
We were on the Dream in November. This was our experience.

When I called DCL prior to the cruise, they told me that the children had to be fully potty trained and no pull-ups in the club. My son was mostly potty trained, but I wanted him in a pull-up for insurance. He was also over 3 years old.

When we went to the first open house when we boarded, I asked the cast members. They said that my son would be allowed in the club in a pull-up, but not a diaper. They even said that they would change him if he had an accident.

They may have offered this because there were not as many kids on our cruise. It's possible that for a fuller cruise, you might get a different response. Also, since I think you said that your child would still be under 3, they may give a different response.
This was my experience on the Fantasy.

My son wasn't potty trained (at all) and we took him to open house on the first day. We had already scheduled nursery time but they watched him play and asked why he didn't have a band thing on yet. I explained the situation and she said if we'd like, she'd call the nursery and move him to club. She said as long as we had the pull-ups, we could send him in one, and they'd page us. She did say they'd change him if we went to Palo/Remy, just to tell them and they'd note it.

Now, that doesn't mean we didn't get some rude CMs because he was in a Pull-Up. One was particularly nasty. I explained what had transpired (and she must have looked it up) and she just shook her head and sighed and said fine, she'd take care of it.

He didn't stay very long, and they only had to text us a few times to come change him.

It is most definitely not the "rule" though. I have to wonder if you have more luck catching the club workers at an open house!
Betsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
adamsclan
Mouseketeer

When we were on the Magic, they would let us bring our 2 1/2 year old in to play on the slide whenever she wanted so long as we stayed with her. If we wanted to leave her, we had to use the nursery.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclan
When we were on the Magic, they would let us bring our 2 1/2 year old in to play on the slide whenever she wanted so long as we stayed with her. If we wanted to leave her, we had to use the nursery.
This rule has changed. Now there is Secured Programming and Open House. During Secured Programming, only registered children and CMs can be in the club (sometimes it's one, sometimes it's both). During Open House, anyone can come and go as they please and children must be supervised. There will only be one club or none in Open House mode at any given time except for embarkation day before 6pm.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

The rule is in place due to sanitary conditions and the caution of creating a health hazard by contamination. If a kid had a no2 accident, they'll have to move all the kids away and sanitize the area, an this can big a big issue, specially in the bigger areas of club and if there are lot of kids enrolled.

Pullups can be considered more of an 'accident precaution' and hence the flexibility of CMs on kids with them.

Similar rule regarding the use of the pools. No diapers allowed in there, however accidents do tend to happen and then the pool is close down for a few hours as they need to drain it, sanitize and refill it.

My .02...
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
MEF01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink113 View Post
We have a 2.5 almost 3 yr old DS sailing with us soon. We have introduced the potty, but he is not potty trained. We have sailed before with him when he was younger and the nursery was a good fit for him then, but I feel like it's way too babyish for him now. I would love to be able to take him to the kids club and maybe have them page me if he needs to be changed? Or change him before he goes and only drop him off for an hour? Th
How strict are the kids clubs with age? Isn't 3 years old the youngest age allowed? I'd be more worried about DS not being allowed in the kids club due to age. It's not like they won't know his age, right???
MEF01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEF01 View Post
How strict are the kids clubs with age? Isn't 3 years old the youngest age allowed? I'd be more worried about DS not being allowed in the kids club due to age. It's not like they won't know his age, right???
Oceaneers' Club/Lab is ages 3-12. A three year old must be fully potty-trained to be allowed in. A three year old who isn't potty-trained would be in the nursery (which is available for through age 3). One point, the nursery has a charge.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
Luvnmy4kids
Earning My Ears

swim diaper?

Anyone familier with the swim diaper rule? We had friends go on a cruise last year and the kids were not allowed to have swim diapers in the pool !
Luvnmy4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
disneydave2003
Just likes to know how things work
Can't beat summer!
Gonna score points with Buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink113 View Post
We have a 2.5 almost 3 yr old DS sailing with us soon. We have introduced the potty, but he is not potty trained. We have sailed before with him when he was younger and the nursery was a good fit for him then, but I feel like it's way too babyish for him now. I would love to be able to take him to the kids club and maybe have them page me if he needs to be changed? Or change him before he goes and only drop him off for an hour? Th
i think the "not being potty trained" is a non issue b/c the child isn't old enough for the club. If the nursery is until 3 i'm sure there will be things to keep your DS entertained and the not being trained wont be an issue there.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #25
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnmy4kids View Post
Anyone familier with the swim diaper rule? We had friends go on a cruise last year and the kids were not allowed to have swim diapers in the pool !
The rule is "children must be potty-trained to use the pools, no swim diapers in the pools". There is a water splash area on all ships for those little ones still in diapers.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnmy4kids
It's a law and it's for health reasons. Swim diapers hold poop in place if you're lucky, but do not keep the poop from steeping in the water (like a teabag). Poop in a cruise ship pool (whether it has escaped the diaper or not) means they must close the pool, drain it, sanitize the area, and then refill it before it can be reopened. It's incredibly disrespectful to everyone else on the ship to break the rule that is there for a very good reason. DCL has provided a splash area for kids still in swim diapers.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #27
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
It's a law and it's for health reasons. Swim diapers hold poop in place if you're lucky, but do not keep the poop from steeping in the water (like a teabag). Poop in a cruise ship pool (whether it has escaped the diaper or not) means they must close the pool, drain it, sanitize the area, and then refill it before it can be reopened. It's incredibly disrespectful to everyone else on the ship to break the rule that is there for a very good reason. DCL has provided a splash area for kids still in swim diapers.
The swim diaper rule is on all cruise lines, not just DCL, as it has to do with the logistics and cleanliness of running a pool on a cruise ship.
As the above poster has so aptly described, please don't allow non-potty trained children in the pools.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: