Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Jennybump
Mouseketeer

Nickelodeon Suites, anyone?

I'm cursing the broken search function right now, because I've been here hunting for a few days and have not found one review or reference to the NickToons Hotel of suites on Int'l Dr! It's starting to give me a complex, frankly. I'm worried there's something unspeakably horrible about it and so nobody ever brings it up in conversation here. LOL

Hers the deal: we're looking to drive down Nov. 16-24 and need to try to go as in expensively as we can WITHOUT giving up on having a themed resort/hotel. We are a family of five (dh, myself, ds11, ds9, dd6, all at time of travel) so we either need a suite or two value rooms, and we want at least a kitchenette so that we can bring along a minimum of food for breakfast and snacks. We're getting ticket deals with a homeschooling group that will include WDW PH, US & IOA, and Sea World, so we definitely

Will be using our car a lot. We would LOVE to stay on site for the magic and ease of transportation (not driving helps dh relax, lol) but cost is a more significant factor, so in strolls Nickelodeon. Our kids actually prefer Nick shows, excepting dd's love for the Disney Princesses, so that's a bonus. And having a freakin' WATERPARK on the hotel grounds allows us to skip paying for WP&M, although we will probably do DQ on its own. Plus then we have more on-the-way access to offsite foods instead of making a special trip out of the parks, which just feels funny to me.

I really just need to hear about the hotel from Disney lovers, I guess. Did you like it? Did your kids? Did it allow you to retain a little more of The Magic AND your money? lol It seems like a good option for us. Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Jennybump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
vikster1
Mouseketeer

The Nick hotel is awesome! I've been twice. The rooms are sweet. Living room. We had a room. The kids have a room. We had Bunks. Kids have a tv and video games. The rooms were clean and roomy. Each room has a theme painted inside on the walls.
They have 2 pool areas. The main pool has the large slides and scheduled activities. Many lifeguards. There is a separate building with a food court/bar/arcade/giftshop. Food was not an arm and a leg. They have shows for the family to participate in. Lots of fun. When you check in you get an activity guide. Every hour something is going on around the property.
They also offer a parents night out. It was about 4/5 hours, the kids are well supervised...they make slim, have dinner, participate in a show, make crafts. It was cheap and well worth it. It was 25.00 kid. The whole family enjoyed the resort. My kids are teens now, I miss Nick hotel.
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
kokomos
Mouseketeer

You can still find the reviews. Go to google and search Nick suites disboards
kokomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Here are few threads for you to try:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3017186

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2899334

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...o_Florida.html

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Ali
DIS Veteran

Make sure you add in the resort fee when you are considering the price. The food court is nice, with lots of choices, but it is theme park expensive. I stay there about once a year and the rooms vary in quality and cleanliness, and some by the big pool are themed but the rooms by the back pool are just plain suites.
I doubt you could pay less there than in a family suite at disney but I could be wrong.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Jennybump
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for the suggestions and links! What a huge help you wonderful ppl are!

Right now I can get a rate of $89/night plus $47/night in tax/fees, for a room that comfortably sleeps all five of us AND has a kitchen, and I'm not sure I can beat that on property. Of course I'll keep looking, though. ;-)

Thanks again!
Jennybump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
trips44
Earning My Ears

When are you going for or where are you seeing $89/night? Were looking late June and the best I see is $157. I have 3 boys 12-9-8 and would love to stay here.
trips44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Most do not have a kitchen, just a very tiny microwave on a counter with a sink. A normal size plate would have problems fitting in it. LOL.

We enjoyed our stay there, got picked for the show--and won, etc. However, we have heard the hotel has gone really down hill. My kids are older now (10, 11, 18, 20) so they are not into the theme stuff anymore. There is enough room for everyone. Not every room has bunk beds, you need to specify if you want bunk beds or not.

Here is a tip, order pizza to be delivered to the front of the hotel. The hotel won't let them in, but you can meet them outside! Most people don't like the character breakfast food. DTD is across I-4 and UNO pizza is behind there. My kids love UNO pizza.

Parking lot side is quieter than the extremely loud poolside which cost more. Not all rooms have painted characters on it. Certain characters cost more.

The water park (not what I call a water park, just a few slides) the water come out the pipes so it is not heated. You have to go to the far end of the pool for the water to be warm from the cold water being mixed in.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Stayed there over New Years... Pool, activities, show, etc were all nice... Room was spacious enough for my family of six... didn't do character meals but the included bfast was top notch. Arcade was expensive! Movies were expensive! Laundry room had new machines. "Kitchen" was fridge, microwave and coffee pot.

However, the place is old, shows wear and tear... Toilet overflowed repeatedly in first room, customer service to get it fixed or us moved was non-existent... Had to make repeated trips to front desk, and each time was promised a call or visit from management and nothing! Finally found manager at 8pm on NYE and got our room changed... Second room was better!

I would not pay extra again for a themed suite as all it means is one wall is painted with characters... while I prefer Disney, if my kids begged, I'd do it gain.

Have you heckled out POR or a cabin at FW?
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
ibdamamma
If it's dirty, throw it away and buy another one

We will be staying there 3 nights when we go in September. We received a very nice military discount. But now I am really starting to question my choice. We planned to do 3 days at Nick then move to AOA for 5 nights. I mean, I can suck up some cruddy customer service but not a dirty room... My daughters immune system is still iffy at times... Now I am scared I made a bad decision
ibdamamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdamamma View Post
We will be staying there 3 nights when we go in September. We received a very nice military discount. But now I am really starting to question my choice. We planned to do 3 days at Nick then move to AOA for 5 nights. I mean, I can suck up some cruddy customer service but not a dirty room... My daughters immune system is still iffy at times... Now I am scared I made a bad decision
The talk among the "locals" is it has really went downhill. My daughter's friends went to "Cheer Surge" there last year and although the kids don't complain about the rooms, the parents notice the have went downhill.

As far as your daughter's immune system, before accepting the room make sure to do a walk through to ensure there is no mold in the room. It's a pain to drag bags upstairs to not be happy with the room.

The pool side cost more, spongebob and certain characters cost more. The pool side is very loud. LOL. I personally am glad I have teenager that we paired up with the little kids to stay right next to them. It's constant loudness and when kids scream it doesn't even really stand out over the noise that much. I have told quite a few friends that it would be easy for the wrong person to walk out with a child that didn't belong to them as the kids are running around crazy with little parental supervison and again, screams are really common so no one pays attention to it.

I haven't heard that they have did any upgrades in the past few years. It's been at least 3 years since we have stayed there. I will say the kids loved it at the time. Now when they hear the name they say "that place is dirty". I am sure they are just repeating what the hear the parents say. They are now 11 and 10 and would rather stay at other resorts like Gaylord Palms over Nick.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
katyjeka
Mouseketeer

I'm ready to get slammed, but we will never stay here again. We checked in and stayed a few hours. Our room was filthy, we were moved to a second room, which was dirtier yet. The pool area is great, but wow, both rooms were dumps!!! This was almost three years ago. The furniture was well used, and carpet in both rooms was worn thin.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

We stayed once a few years ago. I cant say I would recommend it. The kids enjoyed, but I was glad it was just for a quick stay.

Also, just as an FYI most rooms do not have kitchens- just a micro and sink and small fridge.
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal

rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
TheShea's
Mouseketeer

Never stayed there but I was recently speaking with a co-worker regarding our upcoming WDW trip and I mentioned we're considering a day at Universal. That got us speaking about accommodations and they were at Nickelodeon Suites in February and said it was awful. In short, it was dirty, had a foul odor in their general area of the resort and the service wasn't very good. Complained to management but was told that there was nothing they could do. They usually stay on site at WDW and this trip the kids wanted to spend more time at Universal/Sea World so they figured they'd stay at Nickelodeon.

Never again he said.
TheShea's is offline   Reply With Quote