Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
MileHigh
Earning My Ears

Hotel Distance...

We were initally planning a trip to DL for Sept. but have changed gears and plan on going to Universal. I am looking at staying at the Hyatt Grand Cypress since we have points to use with Hyatt and would be getting a pretty decent rate. Is this hotel too far away from US? My fear is that we will be spending a lot of driving time going back and forth and will come to regret the descision to stay here. Google Maps puts the drive at 17-18minutes but I also know this probably means very little. Does anyone know if this time sounds accurate? We plan to spend six nights there but only four in the parks, the other days just being spent around the resort (at the pool or golf course) so was going to just sort of take the parks in stride. The hotel offers a shuttle but I'm not sure what kind of headache that would be either. Any insight into the area and if this hotel is doable for US would be appreciated!
MileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Ya, it is too far away. If you are staying offsite, you can surely do better than the Grand Cypress in respect to proximity.

I would recommend the Hyatt Place Universal. It is right across the street and within walking distance. It is a nice hotel.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
We were initally planning a trip to DL for Sept. but have changed gears and plan on going to Universal. I am looking at staying at the Hyatt Grand Cypress since we have points to use with Hyatt and would be getting a pretty decent rate. Is this hotel too far away from US? My fear is that we will be spending a lot of driving time going back and forth and will come to regret the descision to stay here. Google Maps puts the drive at 17-18minutes but I also know this probably means very little. Does anyone know if this time sounds accurate? We plan to spend six nights there but only four in the parks, the other days just being spent around the resort (at the pool or golf course) so was going to just sort of take the parks in stride. The hotel offers a shuttle but I'm not sure what kind of headache that would be either. Any insight into the area and if this hotel is doable for US would be appreciated!
depending on what route & traffic, i'd say at least 20 minutes actual drive time to the parking garage and then the fun begins. I'd allow for 40 minutes minimum before you'd reach the park gates.

that said the Hyatt Regency GC was one of the nicest places we've bunked in Orlando. the pool is amazing and it was cool to be able to grab one of the bikes and pedal over to the conservation area. CS food options very limited as to choices/hours of operation.

we are at lowest tier of their reward program but still received an upgraded room with two balconies during an Oct visit. I was sick one day during our stay and crawled into bed early. was surprised to be able to watch the fireworks while crashed out.

Be aware they do have hefty daily resort and parking fees and the self-park lot can be challenging to find a convenient spot. After a few long walks to hotel, we gave up and used the valet although told there was 'a shortcut' thru the convention area.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
MileHigh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow

depending on what route & traffic, i'd say at least 20 minutes actual drive time to the parking garage and then the fun begins. I'd allow for 40 minutes minimum before you'd reach the park gates.

that said the Hyatt Regency GC was one of the nicest places we've bunked in Orlando. the pool is amazing and it was cool to be able to grab one of the bikes and pedal over to the conservation area. CS food options very limited as to choices/hours of operation.

we are at lowest tier of their reward program but still received an upgraded room with two balconies during an Oct visit. I was sick one day during our stay and crawled into bed early. was surprised to be able to watch the fireworks while crashed out.

Be aware they do have hefty daily resort and parking fees and the self-park lot can be challenging to find a convenient spot. After a few long walks to hotel, we gave up and used the valet although told there was 'a shortcut' thru the convention area.
Thank you for the info! So would you reccomend the hotel over the driving time based on you experience? Did you check out the shuttle they have or know anything about it by chance? The problem with the Hyatt Place is that it doesn't really lend itself to the leisure days you can have at a resort hotel and we don't plan on going to US all six days. Fairly torn at this point!
MileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to move this thread to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board for more responses.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
Thank you for the info! So would you reccomend the hotel over the driving time based on you experience? Did you check out the shuttle they have or know anything about it by chance? The problem with the Hyatt Place is that it doesn't really lend itself to the leisure days you can have at a resort hotel and we don't plan on going to US all six days. Fairly torn at this point!
no knowledge re the shuttle, sorry

have you considered a split stay? they're not as awful as they sound. I'd book the lesser priced onsite Universal hotel for 2 nights (giving you 3 full days FOTL), then book remaining days of trip @ Hyatt GC. You could always visit another park using home-base of Hyatt GC (Sea World, one of the water parks, perhaps even a DTD based day for Disney Quest/Cirque or one of the dinner shows).

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
KingofSwing3000
Mouseketeer

Grand Cypress is a fine location and great resort; it's practically in the backyard of the Downtown Disney hotels. We just stayed at Cypress Pointe which is further down the road from CY and even that location was perfect. And your resort is almost directly off of exit 68 on 1-4 and US is exit 75. It's about 10 mins to get to US which is more than fine.
KingofSwing3000 is offline   Reply With Quote