Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
browerjs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 78

Fantasy Oceanview Staterooms

So I'm getting ready to book our first cruise on the Disney Fantasy, but am trying to decide which stateroom to book.

I'm currently looking at: 8A (two porthole deck 5/6), 8B(Deck 9), or 8C(Deck 7/8)

I've never been on any cruise, and am wondering if I'm better served getting a higher deck, or going with the two porthole (which I think my DS 3/5 would like).

Where on the fantasy will I have less noise, etc.

The price is all relatively the same (within $50)
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

The 8As are awesome, but be aware they don't have split baths or privacy curtains. Some of them only sleep 3.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
browerjs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The 8As are awesome, but be aware they don't have split baths or privacy curtains. Some of them only sleep 3.
If you have 4 on your reservation will you be assured to get one that sleeps 4?

(I'm looking at 2/22/14).
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

Yes, the system won't let you book a stateroom that sleeps 3 if you have a party of 4, but if you're looking at a deck plan, some of the staterooms you may be looking at won't be what you can book.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post
If you have 4 on your reservation will you be assured to get one that sleeps 4?

(I'm looking at 2/22/14).
Yes. When you book and provided you indicate 4 people on the reservation, and category 8A is available, you'll have the option to select the stateroom. If none are available, you'll be offer to select GTY, which means you'll be guaranteed a stateroom in the category you selected (8A in this case) or better, meaning, if no 8A are available at check in time, you'll be assigned a verandah room.

If you are browsing on the DCL site, make sure you select the total number of adults and children and the ages. Then categories that will fit your party will be displayed. If a category is not displayed, then it means that you cannot select it. That's why it's important to enter all that info from the get go.
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
browerjs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Yes. When you book and provided you indicate 4 people on the reservation, and category 8A is available, you'll have the option to select the stateroom. If none are available, you'll be offer to select GTY, which means you'll be guaranteed a stateroom in the category you selected (8A in this case) or better, meaning, if no 8A are available at check in time, you'll be assigned a verandah room.

If you are browsing on the DCL site, make sure you select the total number of adults and children and the ages. Then categories that will fit your party will be displayed. If a category is not displayed, then it means that you cannot select it. That's why it's important to enter all that info from the get go.
Thanks, that's what I'm doing, so I know an 8A on 5/6 is available, so now, I guess I'm trying to figure out if the lower deck with the two portholes is a better option then a higher deck.

I saw somewhere that decks 5/6 wasn't the best on the Fantasy for noise concerns.
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post
Thanks, that's what I'm doing, so I know an 8A on 5/6 is available, so now, I guess I'm trying to figure out if the lower deck with the two portholes is a better option then a higher deck.

I saw somewhere that decks 5/6 wasn't the best on the Fantasy for noise concerns.
Regarding decks, on the new ships, I would go with deck 7 or 8 ideally. Deck 5/6 can be noisy depending on the time and location due to the clubs and theater.

I would suggest a search for the report on a particular stateroom, but search is down...
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

5 aft is over the nightclubs, but the 8As are forward, not aft. I've been in an 8A Deck 5 on the Dream and didnt' hear anything. It's above the theater but still didn't hear anything.

also with young children you may want to do research on the 8As before you choose one. Several of them are handicapped accessible. Some of them were intended to be handicapped accessible, but they didn't pass inspection for that classification so were put into regular inventory. Those rooms don't have bathtubs.

There's a list of them here on the board somewhere...but search is down.

Found on Google:

Quote:
Deck 5
5018 (HA-designed; no tub) - no pole/no wall (big open room), no split bath, no privacy curtain, sleeps 4
5020 - "mini-suite" w/wall divider, no split bath, sleeps 3
5022 - "mini-suite" w/wall divider, no split bath, sleeps 3

5518 (HA-designed; no tub) - no pole/no wall (big open room), no split bath, no privacy curtain, sleeps 4
5520 - "mini-suite" w/wall divider, no split bath, sleeps 3
5522 - "mini-suite" w/wall divider, no split bath, sleeps 3

Deck 6
6012 (HA) - no pole, no split bath, no privacy curtain
6014 (HA) - pole in center, no spilt bath
6016 - pole in center, no spilt bath, no privacy curtain, sleeps 4

6510 (HA) - no pole, no split bath, no privacy curtain
6512 (HA) - pole in center, no spilt bath
6514 - pole in center, no spilt bath, no privacy curtain, sleeps 4
__________________

Last edited by TDC Nala; 02-28-2013 at 12:21 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
browerjs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 78

So the 8A is only GTY. So why wouldn't I be able to choose my room if there are some available? I guess I don't fully understand this. I get it that I may get an upgrade, however I really don't want a verandah for piece of mind with the kids.
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

It's GTY because there aren't any available. After cancellations or moving other passengers you might be assigned to an 8A or you might be assigned to a higher category. You are correct that with GTY you have no control over what room you will be assigned to, only that it will be in the category you booked or higher. If you are sure you don't want a verandah, don't book a GTY.

if you want a bathtub (and most parties with young kids do), then only 6016 and 6514 appear to be rooms your party of 4 might want in the 8A category.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
browerjs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
It's GTY because there aren't any available. After cancellations or moving other passengers you might be assigned to an 8A or you might be assigned to a higher category. You are correct that with GTY you have no control over what room you will be assigned to, only that it will be in the category you booked or higher. If you are sure you don't want a verandah, don't book a GTY.
Ok, I think I got it... Thanks for the help!
browerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post
So the 8A is only GTY. So why wouldn't I be able to choose my room if there are some available? I guess I don't fully understand this. I get it that I may get an upgrade, however I really don't want a verandah for piece of mind with the kids.
If you do book an 8A you can request a DO NOT UPGRADE. But you should understand that 75% of the cabins are verandahs and many families with young kids book them. The sliding door is heavy to open and does have multiple lock mechanisms, young kids won't be able to open them, unless you have a 1yr old that already stole your screwdrive and figured out how to easily get out of the crib (Rugrats anyone?)

Of course, your piece of mind will dictate what you do...
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
kshark1958
Mouseketeer
 
kshark1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post
Thanks, that's what I'm doing, so I know an 8A on 5/6 is available, so now, I guess I'm trying to figure out if the lower deck with the two portholes is a better option then a higher deck.

I saw somewhere that decks 5/6 wasn't the best on the Fantasy for noise concerns.
We had stateroom 6082. Middle of ship, 6th level. Very quiet with nothing above or below like pools or BVT to cause a lot of noise. Location was great right at mid ship by stairs and elevator. If we sail the Fantasy again we will ask for this room. It was a 5D. But it also had a veranda which having a 3 or 5 year old would make me nervous.IMPO
__________________
Kevin & Lorraine



1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
zippingalong
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The 8As are awesome, but be aware they don't have split baths or privacy curtains. Some of them only sleep 3.
I'm not doubting you- I've never stayed in an outside room. But I thought cat 9s and up had a split bath.

When did that change?
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran
 
su_A_ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post
I'm not doubting you- I've never stayed in an outside room. But I thought cat 9s and up had a split bath.

When did that change?
There are several rooms that were originally designed to be HA, but never passed inspection. 8A and 5E have some of these rooms, and they don't have split baths nor bathtubs as they were made to allow wheelchairs to roll in. These rooms are very hard to get and are usually gone on opening day, as they are much bigger than a standard stateroom.
__________________
'77, '84, '94, '00 (SWW) - Off site
'01 (BC), '03 (ASMu), '05 (BC), '06 (YC), '08 (YC), '08 (CSR Xmas),
'09 (CSR), '10 (BC), '10 (CSR Xmas), '11 (BC), '11 (CSR), '12 (5n Dream DD),
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.