Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Fall1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,923

Boardwalk/Boardwalk Villas: please tell me the pros and cons

We are thinking of trying BWV or Boardwalk next trip but I really don't know much about it. Can anyone that's stayed there please share the pros and cons!
We've stayed at the BC and LOVE it, but the BW always looks so pretty across the way. Thanks!
__________________
Family Trips: (6 prior trips w/family/friends)
Oct 2004 GF/BC Honeymoon, Oct 2005 BC, May 2006 BC, Oct 2009 BCV (twins 1st trip!), Oct 2010 BCV, Feb 2011 AKV, Oct 2011 BCV, Dec 2011 AKV, Mar 2012 SSR, Nov 2012 BCV, Apr 2013 BCV, Oct 2013 SSR, Apr 2014 1st Disney Cruise!! & BCV
Upcoming December 2014 BCV & 1st Universal trip!
me DH DS 7 DD 7
Fall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
msp2mco
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 471

We love BWI/BWV and we also love BC/BCV. We've stayed at both and probably prefer BW. I love having a view of the Boardwalk and being so close to the restaurants and activities out there. The lobby is beautiful, I love the bar, and I love sitting out on the porch. The hallways are long, and you may have to park quite far away compared to BC. Also, the pool isn't nearly as exciting for my kids as Stormalong Bay.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
blackacex2
Mouseketeer
 
blackacex2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 351

The boardwalk is the pinnacle of what Disney has to offer. The rooms are gorgeous with tons of attention to detail. The views of crescent lake and of the gardens are fantastic. The quiet pools are peaceful and relaxing. The location gives you access to one of the best restaurants on property (flying fish) the best bakery in disney world and some of the most reasonably priced counter service options anywhere. You also get all the entertainment and shopping that is at the boardwalk. The theme is fantastically executed, very refined and elegant while still being fun. You will have a great view of illuminations every night from the boardwalk. You are a short distance from the swan and dolphin restaurants and spa. I could go on forever!
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,833

I would also like to know the pros and cons for this location.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,350

Cons: if you are driving, this is the worst parking lot at a Disney resort in my opinion. It is always crowded due to non resort guests shopping and dining.

Long hallways, no counter service restaurant with indoor seating.

Hectic, circus type atmosphere.

I am sure the others will give you plenty of pros, which to us the only one is location. If staying in this area the BC and YC to me personally are a better choice.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
lbv7
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172

Everone has their own opinion, and if some people can only say negatives about the BW, it is amazes me that the hotel is still open and manages to run to almost full capacity most of the time.

The worst parking lot of any Disney hotel, I belive, is the Grand Floridian. Imagine having a very small self parking lot miles from the lobby, and you need to cross a street with traffic lights to get on to GF property. Yes they have valet parking, but not everyone wants to pay $15 a day.

The BW lobby is probably the quietest of any of the deluxe hotels, and is in no way hectic with a circus type atmosphere. If you want a hectic lobby, nothing beats the BC, GF, or Poly, which attracts throngs and throngs of visitors. If you want a hectic zoo like crowded pool, stay at the Beach Club.
Long hallways, sure they might be considered long by some, but the hallways at AKL and BC are also long. Also, I would much rather walk in the Boardwalk hallways then walk outside at the Poly (try staying in the Tahiti or Rapanui buildings and walking outside in the rain to the lobby) or at the GF if your building is far from the lobby.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
hygienejean
Are we still trying to figure out the "big project?"
The answers are probably right in front of us
 
hygienejean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern Maine and the BWV about 8 days a year!
Posts: 1,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7 View Post
Everone has their own opinion, and if some people can only say negatives about the BW, it is amazes me that the hotel is still open and manages to run to almost full capacity most of the time.

The worst parking lot of any Disney hotel, I belive, is the Grand Floridian. Imagine having a very small self parking lot miles from the lobby, and you need to cross a street with traffic lights to get on to GF property. Yes they have valet parking, but not everyone wants to pay $15 a day.

The BW lobby is probably the quietest of any of the deluxe hotels, and is in no way hectic with a circus type atmosphere. If you want a hectic lobby, nothing beats the BC, GF, or Poly, which attracts throngs and throngs of visitors. If you want a hectic zoo like crowded pool, stay at the Beach Club.
Long hallways, sure they might be considered long by some, but the hallways at AKL and BC are also long. Also, I would much rather walk in the Boardwalk hallways then walk outside at the Poly (try staying in the Tahiti or Rapanui buildings and walking outside in the rain to the lobby) or at the GF if your building is far from the lobby.
well said!
We just left BWV on Monday. We used SAB for one day(as Luna Park pool in refurb) but found ourselves using the quiet pool at community hall and loving it .
hygienejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7 View Post
...The BW lobby is probably the quietest of any of the deluxe hotels, and is in no way hectic with a circus type atmosphere. If you want a hectic lobby, nothing beats the BC, GF, or Poly, which attracts throngs and throngs of visitors. If you want a hectic zoo like crowded pool, stay at the Beach Club.....
Circus elephant and great big clown at the pool. Circus atmosphere at Luna Park. Carousel in the lobby. Circus atmosphere. Carnival barkers on the boardwalk. Circus atmosphere.

The theming is a circus.

But we aren't fans of the Boardwalk because of the busy-ness of it. We prefer the quieter resorts/villas. We like to come back to our villa after visiting the parks and having a nice quiet place to relax. We don't find that at the BW. But others love it.

You are very close to dining at Epcot which is a plus to me.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall1 View Post
We are thinking of trying BWV or Boardwalk next trip but I really don't know much about it. Can anyone that's stayed there please share the pros and cons!
We've stayed at the BC and LOVE it, but the BW always looks so pretty across the way. Thanks!
I prefer BW and my wife prefers BC. You really can't go wrong with either. We stay at both regularly.. If you have kids, they'll probably prefer the evening activities at BW (carnival games, magicians, etc)..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
lbv7
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Circus elephant and great big clown at the pool. Circus atmosphere at Luna Park. Carousel in the lobby. Circus atmosphere. Carnival barkers on the boardwalk. Circus atmosphere.

The theming is a circus.

But we aren't fans of the Boardwalk because of the busy-ness of it. We prefer the quieter resorts/villas. We like to come back to our villa after visiting the parks and having a nice quiet place to relax. We don't find that at the BW. But others love it.

You are very close to dining at Epcot which is a plus to me.
Yes I realize that the BW has a circus theme. The poster meant a circus like atmosphere in a derogatory way - as to hectic, busy, chaotic, etc.
I still stand by my original comment - the BW lobby is by far quieter and more relaxed the the Poly, BC. WL, GF or the Contemporary.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,541

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7 View Post
Yes I realize that the BW has a circus theme. The poster meant a circus like atmosphere in a derogatory way - as to hectic, busy, chaotic, etc.
I still stand by my original comment - the BW lobby is by far quieter and more relaxed the the Poly, BC. WL, GF or the Contemporary.
Agreed. The BW lobby area doesn't have any dining connected directly to the lobby. It's really rather small compared to the Polynesian, GF, WL, CR, BC, YC. It's basically just a check in area with a small seating area and a very small store connected to the lobby.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Sammie
DIS Veteran
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Fantasyland
Posts: 20,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7 View Post
Yes I realize that the BW has a circus theme. The poster meant a circus like atmosphere in a derogatory way - as to hectic, busy, chaotic, etc.
I still stand by my original comment - the BW lobby is by far quieter and more relaxed the the Poly, BC. WL, GF or the Contemporary.
Was not commenting on the lobby alone, the entire resort atmosphere is circus/carnival. It is a busy theme, some like that, we don't. Actually we have had to park in the over flow at the BW before, which actually is much further than the Grand Floridian lot.

As to it staying full, that is because some do like it and as I said, I was sure there would be plenty of people to list the Pros of staying there, I listed the cons, which the OP did ask for.

Last edited by Sammie; 03-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
ksu93
Earning My Ears
 
ksu93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 44

Wink

Wow, I'm a DVC member and stay at BWV 2-3 times a year and it seems that a resort I've never witnessed is being described here. We love the BW because it makes us feel like we stepped off the bus into another time and place. Not a chaotic carnival or a crazy side show, but a place where time seems to stand still. You walk into the lobby and tunes from the 30's and 40's quietly pull you in. There's big overstuffed chairs to park your kids in while you check in. The bell man has balloons. The bathroom has real cloth hand towels. The same porter that assisted with our luggage ten years ago assists today. We put away our car keys because there's no where now we can't walk to-it's all in our neighborhood.Some people may do a drive by and see a circus at the BW but when we arrive there we're "home".
__________________
DHDW,DS1,DS2,DS3,DS4 ,DS5,DD1,DD2,DD3
Disney Wonder 2014 Alaska
Disney Dream 2013
Disney Magic 2013 Western Carribbean
Disney Wonder 2001,2006,2009,2010 Bahamas
Disney Fantasy 2012 Eastern Carribbean
WDW Carribean Beach 1993,1996. Vero Beach 1998,
1999, 2001,2003,2007,2009,2011,2013. Beach Club Villas
2001,2004,2006,2009. Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004.
Saratoga Springs 2009. Boardwalk Villas every year since 1998. Kidani Village 2010,2011. Old Key West
1999. DL Grand Californian 2009,2010.
Vacation Club Members since 1998
ksu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
ThumpersWorld
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 279

We love the BWVs. We also own at the BCV and will agree that the pool at the BCVs is far better. Nothing in WDW can beat that pool. But I have to disagree about the long hallways. Yes, you have to walk. But if you are going to go to WDW, you walk all day. If you don't want to walk, then you shouldn't be going. My point being is that it's one of the nicest resorts at WDW and this shouldn't be deemed a con IMO.
__________________


Me DH DS 8 1/2 yrs DS 6 yrs
ThumpersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran
 
roydavid7771's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 665

We've stayed at both BW and BC, and enjoyed both immensely. The deal breaker for me? The buses. We had to share the bus with he Swan/Dolphin after evenings in the parks, which led to long rides home since we were usually the last stop. Every time we've stayed at BC, we only had to share with the YC, which made for far more comfortable rides home.

Both resorts rock thoug, and we spend quite a bit of time at the Boardwalk each night after hanging out in the parks!
__________________



2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.