Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Value with DDP, or Moderate without DDP?
POP with DDP? 14 25.00%
POR without DDP? 42 75.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

Ten days to decide!!!! Would you change from POR to POP???

Hi! I need some help! My husband and I are booked to stay at POR for 9 days in April for our 15 year anniversary. I have roughly ten days before I hit my 45 day mark to decide what I should do. Our trip is already paid off, so that isn't an issue, I just need help deciding what I should do.

We have only ever stayed at Moderates before on our past trips with kids and extended family. We thought this trip we should stay at a moderate for the fact that they seem a little more peaceful and romantic.

I called and cancelled our dining plan b/c I thought maybe we could eat cheaper than that. We are still eating at several table service locations though b/c we love them, and don't want to deprive ourselves on our anniversary trip. Today I decided to look up how much it would be to stay in a value (POP) WITH the dining plan, versus staying in a moderate WITHOUT the dining plan. It was roughly the same price. I think I might have to pay about a $200 difference.

What I am not looking to do is to debate the merits of using the dining plan versus not using it. We love the dining plan. There is something wonderful in knowing that we don't have to worry about how much a meal is going to cost, or how to save money here or go without there. That is not what I am asking. What I am asking is: Would you stay at a moderate and pay for dining out of your pocket, or would you stay at a value and get the dining plan?

My ONLY reason for switching to POP would be to get the dining plan, so the third option of staying at POP and going without the dining plan is really not an option for us. We love the dining plan.

I have a pretty negative perception of the values, and my reasons are not fair to be honest with you.
1.) I visited my parents when they stayed at ASMo to watch a movie under the stars one night. There were SOOOOOOO many kids. That doesn't usually bother me, but we won't have our kids, so I guess I have it in my head that we should have a more peaceful location.

2.) Also, I was REALLY, REALLY sick when I visited there. I ended up in the ER when we got off the plane about 4 days later, so I am thinking I may not have an accurate idea of how I would feel going there without being sick.

3.) My parents said their room smelled like smoke, and both my husband and I (my kids as well, but they aren't on this trip) have some issues that require us not being around smoke. We both sleep with Apnea machines, and I have asthma. In my head I know not all the rooms will smell that way, but I can't seem to get past it.

4.) And then there's stuff I've read about on the DIS. Packed buses, sometimes getting bumped down from a preferred room, etc...

Sorry this is so long, but I just want to give you an accurate picture of why I am thinking so hard on this. What would you do?

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
CammelleandBre
Mouseketeer

Stick with the moderate. That's all I'm going to say.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
disney is my life
Mouseketeer

I would go with POP with the dining plan. Personally while i think the moderates are nicer looking there are still going to be kids everywhere. I would say POP because of the fact that i cant justify paying close to the same price for a room and tickets as a room tickets and dining plan. But that might just be me. You obviously love the dining plan so i would say go for pop and enjoy it!

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

In January, we stayed at our first ever value resort, All Star Sports.

Personally, I was very impressed. I had expected the rooms to be small and noisy based on what I read here. I didn't find that to be true at all. There were no more kids than what have been at every other resort I've stayed in. The only time we saw kids gathered was at the pool when they were playing Wii Mario Kart on the big screen.

I have severe asthma, and if I ever got a room with the slightest smell of smoke or mold, I would have to moved immediately. I am very, very sensitive to smells of any kind. Our room was lovely. It was roomy, clean, comfortable, and quiet.

We were so impressed with the value that we are booked at POP for next week. I won't ever go back to paying more for a room. We have stayed at most of the deluxe and moderate resorts over the years and loved them too. But, we didn't love the value any less, so value it is.

The only resort I didn't care for was CBR. We stayed there once and won't ever do it again. The room seemed dark and depressing and the resort was too big. It took forever to get anywhere on a bus after stopping at all the other stops.

The POP has it's own bus so will not be an issue anymore than any other resort. As far as the All Stars go, Sports is first on the bus line so is the best transportation choice.

This question is a no-brainer for me now. I feel silly at all the years I was afraid to try a value.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Mommyandmouse
Earning My Ears

I've stayed at both several times and would chose POR. There are still kids but usually less and it's def more romantic with the decor and carriage rides,boat rides etc. Food is yummy there too! Hope you have a magical anniversary!
Mommyandmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
SplashMtnCrew
DIS Veteran

IMO stay moderate and pay for food out of pocket, we always do this. It is cheaper for us to not use the DDP. That's not the case for all families, but DS is considered adult pricing at WDW. It makes us feel wasteful when we don't use all the credits or to throw away food because Disney portions are huge. We've stayed POP with dining plan and get more bang for our buck staying mod & oop food.
CSR 11/2008, Poly~ Club Level 1/2009, POFQ 5/2010 & 10/2010, POP Century 10/2011, CBR 2/2013

SplashMtnCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
AndiSlamberg
Mouseketeer

I would also stay at the moderate and paid for food out of pocket.
AndiSlamberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

I think if it will keep you from worrying so much and stressing over money it would be best to switch to a value. Especially if you're not going to be in the room much anyway. I've stayed at POP and ASMu and have had no problems whatsoever. I've only stayed at POFQ once as far as mods go. Actually, if I weren't staying deluxe I would prefer a value over a moderate because because there's not much difference in them besides theme to me.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh, a value is the last place I'd want to stay for an anniversary trip. POR is so much nicer and more peaceful. POP is great for a value but is much more geared to kids and is noisier, more rowdy at times. You already said yourself you have something against values. What if you switch, maybe just saving a few hundred bucks, and you hate it? You know you like the mods, so don't mess up a good thing! POR is so beautiful and romantic.
SarahKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

Sounds to me like you want POR more based off what Ive read.
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

I voted for you to stay in the moderate. The dining plan is not a good value, IMO. We used the dining plan our first couple of trips but then we rented DVC points and paid OOP last time and will not be using the Dining Plan ever again. Unless you search out the most expensive QS places and order steak every time you eat at a TS, you will not come out ahead. If you are concerned about prepayment, I would go online to the menus at allears, figure out approximately how much you will spend, add a little extra and get a Disney gift card for that amount.

Last March, my daughter and I went on a trip together for her birthday. I figured since it was just me and her, we could stay at All Star Music for cheaper than our usual Caribbean Beach and it would be no big deal. HOLY CRAP. It was a hectic, dirty, crowded, crazy nightmare. We made it two nights before we switched to POFQ. I paid full price (over $300) to upgrade at the desk and it was worth every penny. Unless it was just for one night, I wouldn't stay at a value again.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
ponyboy
Gun slingin DW lover

I just did the math and there is exactly a zero percent chance I would stay at a value resort for my anniversary.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
2DisPrincesses
DIS Veteran

How much time do you spend at the resort, use the pool, etc? If you spend much time there, I would keep POR. If you will be in the Parks and/or dining and just crashing at the Resort, the value might be okay???

2DisPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

I think you already have your answer. Everything in your post indicates that you want to stay at POR. If you only ever stayed at mods before, I think you'd be disappointed in the values for your anniversary trip. They really are much quieter, calmer, and more relaxing than the values. I too am a really big fan of the dining plan, but still I'd pay oop to try shave some cost and stay at the moderate.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

While the dining plan IS nice- you are staying there for 9 nights. That's quite alot of nights. We stayed with POP- with a 3 year old and teens and we HATED it. It is the most chaotic resort there is. The AllStars arent as chaotic. We feel the moderates are WAY more relaxing!!! It's a hard choice but close your eyes and picture lots of loud kids everyday. POP has 1,000 more people than the AllStars so that was mild compared to POP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: