Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #2926
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone, going to do a brief catch up (complete from memory of my lurking) while Steven is getting some work done. Only a few more days of this.....I think I can....I think I can....I think I can

Jeanette - I have a feeling this last change may be the one for you, it feels right and you know Sarah is above in complete agreement

Wookie - hope you are surviving your week of day care and school

Jen - sorry the DIS'ers are being mean We have your back and are always here for you Oh and did I read that Nov is a go, and you are booked at BC???

Candace - I guess T&C is out and you are back to WDW. It will be fun watching you decide where to stay

MAGIC - I am so sorry you were sick last weekend and that the trip was not great, but it was still WDW Are you still on for the July trip with your friend? I forget what happened with those plans.

Dani - I am so very sorry for your loss I am happy to hear you have such wonderful memories to hold on to. And....YOU ARE SO CLOSE NOW!!!! CAN YOU TASTE IT?????

Nixie - you asked before if BC was worth the extra $, my vote is yes. I spent a lot more last year on deluxe resort stays than I could have spent at mods, and each trip was phenomenal and well worth the extra money So my vote is against the camper and book with free dining!!!!

Miss, Shelia, Christine, Janet, KOOK, SueM, Koh, Ginny and everyone else I am forgetting...BIG HELLOS AND HUGS

I'll be back in a few to comment on the whole kids spoiling conversation.

Melissa

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #2927
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Are we spoiling our kids......

I know the general consensus was that you work hard and the kids reap the benefits and hopefully will not become spoiled and will eventually appreciate all the things you have done for them and places you have taken them.

I want to share with you who are concerned that you should not be. I watched my parents work hard with their own pharmacy while I was growing up. My dad worked almost every single day and my mom was there beside him when she was not home with my brother or I. We were fortunate that my parents did well and my brother and I reaped the benefits for sure. We had a vacation condo in Maine, we traveled to Hawaii, California, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, etc. BUT, we always knew just how hard our parents worked for all those trips. They did a fabulous job of instilling a strict work ethic in us. Now in turn we are able to do for our kids, but we make sure they understand how hard everyone works to make things happen. We know they are spoiled, and we explain to them how many kids, let alone adults, will never get to go on vacations like they have. We must be doing something right because my kids have already started talking about getting really good jobs and being able to take their families on incredible vacations.

So, are they spoiled, YES But is is a bad thing? No! I see so many entitled kids (and adults) living here in Boca Raton, and DH and I have vowed that our kids will never be like that and will understand how hard DH works to provide for us and that they will have to do the same one day.

Okay I am stepping off my soap box

Melissa

My Trip Reports:

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #2928
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

All this talk about the GF reminds me of one of my favorite afternoons sitting/swimming around the courtyard pool with DD just enjoying the peace and relaxing. It was like a little oasis in the middle of all the wonderful craziness that is Disney.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #2929
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post

I know the general consensus was that you work hard and the kids reap the benefits and hopefully will not become spoiled and will eventually appreciate all the things you have done for them and places you have taken them.

I want to share with you who are concerned that you should not be. I watched my parents work hard with their own pharmacy while I was growing up. My dad worked almost every single day and my mom was there beside him when she was not home with my brother or I. We were fortunate that my parents did well and my brother and I reaped the benefits for sure. We had a vacation condo in Maine, we traveled to Hawaii, California, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, etc. BUT, we always knew just how hard our parents worked for all those trips. They did a fabulous job of instilling a strict work ethic in us. Now in turn we are able to do for our kids, but we make sure they understand how hard everyone works to make things happen. We know they are spoiled, and we explain to them how many kids, let alone adults, will never get to go on vacations like they have. We must be doing something right because my kids have already started talking about getting really good jobs and being able to take their families on incredible vacations.

So, are they spoiled, YES But is is a bad thing? No! I see so many entitled kids (and adults) living here in Boca Raton, and DH and I have vowed that our kids will never be like that and will understand how hard DH works to provide for us and that they will have to do the same one day.

Melissa
I agree...just trying to figure out the best way to instill that idea of hard work, etc. in the kids when they're young...to go along with that, do we tell them ahead of time that we're going or do we wait and surprise them...?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 05-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #2930
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Too many changes!! I keep second guessing myself...I think the only thing helping is the fact that I can't do a split stay according to DH and I can't go over what we've already committed to the price and I don't want to give up a day now that I have the extra resort day! :-)

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #2931
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
Hi all! I had a "date" with my DS today so I was MIA most of the day! We had lunch at McDonald's then went to see Iron Man 3. Great time! :-)

Now the kids are in bed, DH is out with a friend, and all is calm and quiet. Relaxing with my iPad and a glass of wine. :-)

Sounds like a great day with your DS, it is so great to be able to spend one on one time with them isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Who's ready for a change.Guess who will headed to RPC in 49 days....[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Jeanette: Whoo Hoo!! A BIG CHANGE!! I approve!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post

I am actually seriously considering the GF for April....
You too??? It does look lovely there, and our DD7 keeps asking us when we might stay at the "Grand Forilian"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Are the girlies out of school for the summer yet?
Hey Miss! No, they don't get out until June 27...still a month to go!! So tired of making lunches!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
I have been running numbers on whether we should just tow our camper down and stay at Fort Wilderness. Right now, the numbers look like a wash with free dining. Hmmmm more space or someone making my bed for me in the morning......
I vote to nix the camper!! It would be toooo much work for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Miss we were spared last night the storms hit just north of us
Sheila: Glad the storms did not affect you, I saw some crazy pictures!!

[QUOTE=babyberger;48542751]

Jen - sorry the DIS'ers are being mean We have your back and are always here for you Oh and did I read that Nov is a go, and you are booked at BC??? /QUOTE]

Quote:

Melissa
HUGS Melissa!! Thanks for having my back, I was just being sensitive. Giving the meanies too much power. Love your chiming in about the kids thing, that really helps me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
All this talk about the GF reminds me of one of my favorite afternoons sitting/swimming around the courtyard pool with DD just enjoying the peace and relaxing. It was like a little oasis in the middle of all the wonderful craziness that is Disney.
Linda: Never stayed at the GF, but that is how we felt about the Beach Club!

Quote:
I agree...just trying to figure out the best way to instill that idea of hard work, etc. in the kids when they're young...to go along with that, do we tell them ahead of time that we're going or do we wait and surprise them...?

Koh: Good question, if we tell the kiddos ahead of time, we have the time to go over the ground rules and expectations. Sometimes I think the surprises are too much for them to process.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #2932
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Has anyone done the Family Magic Tour or whatever it's called at the MK? Thinking about whether or not to add it to our plans...

Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #2933
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone, going to do a brief catch up (complete from memory of my lurking) while Steven is getting some work done. Only a few more days of this.....I think I can....I think I can....I think I can
I know you can, I KNOW YOU CAN!

Quote:
Too many changes!! I keep second guessing myself...I think the only thing helping is the fact that I can't do a split stay according to DH and I can't go over what we've already committed to the price and I don't want to give up a day now that I have the extra resort day! :-)
Back AWAY from the Disney SITE! Resort days are wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Hey Miss! No, they don't get out until June 27...still a month to go!! So tired of making lunches!!
My BC buddy. Tell me about it with the lunches... I've lost what little creative energy I had for lunches about a month ago. I need to find some soon or else she'll be getting dried cereal and candy bars in her lunch bag.

Heya GG! What's new on the planning front with you?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #2934
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Hi Linda

Koh - we cant surprise our kids because of DS, but they like being in on the planning as well. The instilling the work ethic will come over time and we use every opportunity to remind them about it. As for changes and second guessing, we ALL do it, that is why we are here

Jen - I hear you on the lunches, it has been nice only having to make one lunch lately, I guess that is the silver lining to Steven coming home at 9:30am

Miss - Thanks for the push DD has been asking for leftover pasta lately for lunch, nice and easy....just giving you ideas

So, after relaxing at my parents and the beach last weekend I was thinking maybe I didn't want to do a week of Disney next year, watching the kids swim is so much more relaxing than park hoping all day So I mentioned this to DH, thinking he would jump all over the saving money part and the fact that he really does not love Disney. But he looked at me like I had three heads....so I replied that I know it is for the kids and we do always have a good time. He replied with a quick yep and that ended the conversation.

I just pulled all my resies and notes from last summer when we started our booking frenzy, not a single resie stayed as it was booked Resorts changed, dates changed, trips added, etc. I will be shocked it BLT stands as it was originally booked I cannot wait until Aug when I can book ADR's, I hate having a trip that I cant really plan yet

Melissa

My Trip Reports:

Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #2935
Cotillard
Mouseketeer

Hello. Was directed to this thread by WDWKOOK and pas130, from pas130's PTR. She made me LOL with her changes in resorts! I had to show my daughter, so that she would believe there are other people like me out there

We leave in a few weeks for 6 glorious nights at WDW. I have BC GV booked but reading everyone's plans kind of makes me want to do a split stay I could do 3 and 3. Maybe add AKL or Poly?

º Grand Floridian July 2005 ○ Grand Floridian CL Dec 2005 ○ Polynesian April 2006 ○ Polynesian CL March 2007 ○ Boardwalk Inn CL April 2008 ○ Bay Lake Tower May 2010 ○ Beach Club June 2010 ○ Wilderness Lodge CL Oct 2010 ○ AKL CL Feb 2011 º Boardwalk Inn October 2011 º POR Royal Room March 2012 º Beach Club June 2013 º
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #2936
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Ooooo a split stay

Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #2937
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotillard View Post
Hello. Was directed to this thread by WDWKOOK and pas130, from pas130's PTR. She made me LOL with her changes in resorts! I had to show my daughter, so that she would believe there are other people like me out there

We leave in a few weeks for 6 glorious nights at WDW. I have BC GV booked but reading everyone's plans kind of makes me want to do a split stay I could do 3 and 3. Maybe add AKL or Poly?
Welcome!!! Glad you made your way over here! We are all very much enablers Although Queen Pas takes the cake

My family is against split stays but if your gang is up for it, it may be worth looking into. I think a BC/poly would split could be magical!!!

Melissa

My Trip Reports:

Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #2938
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:

I love splits because it makes it seem like two vacations in one. Our last split was BLT and WL CL.

I think that 3 nights is perfect for AKL. That's how long we stayed when we did an AKL split. We stayed much longer at the second resort though. Since you can only bus out of AKL, I prefer a short stay, just long enough to eat at each TS. I recommend a SV at AKL and for not too much more, you could upgrade to CL, which I see you've already tried. BTW, I love all your 2010 visits

Quote:
Ooooo a split stay
, Nixie
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #2939
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi Linda
Miss - Thanks for the push DD has been asking for leftover pasta lately for lunch, nice and easy....just giving you ideas

So, after relaxing at my parents and the beach last weekend I was thinking maybe I didn't want to do a week of Disney next year, watching the kids swim is so much more relaxing than park hoping all day So I mentioned this to DH, thinking he would jump all over the saving money part and the fact that he really does not love Disney. But he looked at me like I had three heads....so I replied that I know it is for the kids and we do always have a good time. He replied with a quick yep and that ended the conversation.

I just pulled all my resies and notes from last summer when we started our booking frenzy, not a single resie stayed as it was booked Resorts changed, dates changed, trips added, etc. I will be shocked it BLT stands as it was originally booked I cannot wait until Aug when I can book ADR's, I hate having a trip that I cant really plan yet

Melissa
Pasta! Thank you. Because the trip is coming up, I haven't even been thinking about groceries.

You've gotta just do both... the beach week for relaxation and your Disney fix. I'm looking forward to your planning...

Quote:

Glad you found us. I agree with my enabler-pal Melissa -- BC and Poly split would be fabulous. Enjoy being by Epcot then a quick ride away from MK at the Poly, best of both.

Kooksterama!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #2940
Cotillard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ooooo a split stay
Quote:
Welcome!!! Glad you made your way over here! We are all very much enablers Although Queen Pas takes the cake

My family is against split stays but if your gang is up for it, it may be worth looking into. I think a BC/poly would split could be magical!!!

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post

I love splits because it makes it seem like two vacations in one. Our last split was BLT and WL CL.

I think that 3 nights is perfect for AKL. That's how long we stayed when we did an AKL split. We stayed much longer at the second resort though. Since you can only bus out of AKL, I prefer a short stay, just long enough to eat at each TS. I recommend a SV at AKL and for not too much more, you could upgrade to CL, which I see you've already tried. BTW, I love all your 2010 visits

, Nixie
Thank you, Kind Enablers

WDWKOOK - Thanks. The BLT and BC in 2010 were a split stay. That trip was heavenly.
WL club in Oct. that same year was REALLY nice. We were so impressed in their food offerings (BLT and WL CL must've been an awesome split!)
And, yes, I did treat myself to AKL CL in 2011 when I ran the Princess half marathon. That was a solo trip and I loved AKL! Big time! Unfortunately, for my June dates it's something like $459 + tax per night, so I'm thinking more like pool view, which I've heard can be lovely.

This is my problem - I want to stay at all the Deluxe resorts, over and over again. You guys obviously understand.

Thank you all for the warm welcome

º Grand Floridian July 2005 ○ Grand Floridian CL Dec 2005 ○ Polynesian April 2006 ○ Polynesian CL March 2007 ○ Boardwalk Inn CL April 2008 ○ Bay Lake Tower May 2010 ○ Beach Club June 2010 ○ Wilderness Lodge CL Oct 2010 ○ AKL CL Feb 2011 º Boardwalk Inn October 2011 º POR Royal Room March 2012 º Beach Club June 2013 º
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: