Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #1606
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Wookie - I hope the free dining is announced before you work for the week, or like you said you can get on the phone before or after work.
Thank you. I hope so as well. I would almost rather they wait another week to announce it, so I don't miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
I *think* they had hot chocolate (near the coffee on the left side with the rest of the fountain drinks), but I'm not 100% sure...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
That is what I assumed. I just have to make sure. He said he was willing to change to the Pop Century just to make sure he can get hot chocolate in his refillable mug. I'm like, "umm no, mommy will bring hot chocolate from home and we will make it in our room before that happens." I am willing to change resorts if they are 100% happy with the BC, but the Pop Century is not on the list of resorts I would be willing to change to.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #1607
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post

Thank you. I hope so as well. I would almost rather they wait another week to announce it, so I don't miss it.

That is what I assumed. I just have to make sure. He said he was willing to change to the Pop Century just to make sure he can get hot chocolate in his refillable mug. I'm like, "umm no, mommy will bring hot chocolate from home and we will make it in our room before that happens." I am willing to change resorts if they are 100% happy with the BC, but the Pop Century is not on the list of resorts I would be willing to change to.
In many ways, I loved BC (and DS did too), but I was thinking it was more convenient to Epcot than it really was...therefore, we were doing a lot of running back and forth that was not relaxing in the least...if it were just DH and I and/or during F & W, I would definitely stay there again!

The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #1608
MAGIC...itis!
Closer to Fulfilling My Quest to Stay at Every Resort...So far... AKL, ASmo, ASmu, ASsp, BC.3, BLT, BWI, CR.4, CSR.2, GF, OKW, POFQ, POL.3, POP.2, POR.9, WL, YC.2

Location: RC Land ________________________ My banana won't dance... might this be a sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch View Post
I stayed at the AKL quite a while ago, it was nice, and I'd easily stay there again, but the lack of transportation is a big negative to me, unless I was to rent a car for the week.
Petey, I pride myself on being clear as mud, but in my post to you I was just suggesting making a portion of a day trip itinerary to the AK/AKL area, and not your actually staying at AKL. True, AK/AKL isn't so easy without a car, but since you'd take a bus to AK from your resort anyway, it would be just a quick bus over to AKL for breakfast and back again to AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
AKL:

Sanaa .... we always start with the bread service. Our first time there we tried a sample of various different breads but weren't crazy about a couple of them so now we stick to the plain naan. Then we get slow cooked in gravy .... we've tried most of the choices except the lamb and have liked them all. The butter chicken is the least spicy. If it's DD and I this is all we get and share it all. If we have someone else with us we add in vegetarian sampler. This has always been enough for 3.

Mara .... my favorite there is the African stew.

Jiko .... haven't tried it yet but it's on my list.

Boma ... really enjoyed it but we ate there so much that I kind of got burned out on it. We've only done breakfast once but really enjoyed it.

As for zebra domes I'm one of the few that really don't like.

DD and I will be at AKV for seven nights in Oct/Nov .... plans include dinner at Sanaa, breakfast at Boma, and for the first time lunch at Sanaa on a pool day.

So there's my review of the food at AK .... more than you asked for!!!
Thank you so much for your AKL dining option preferences and reviews. This is basically a new frontier for us other than Boma breakfast. We had Jiko booked in March but cancelled . I am taking copious notes here. Ooooooh, and I'm looking forward to checking out your favorite pool music at OKW in Aug!!!

_________ __________

mousemommy1: Love your room view. I see water, so it must be water view. So glad you are enjoying the YC. Yep, it's a different vibe than WL, and both are really great resorts with their own charms. Enjoy the joy!

WDWKOOK: Hi, any new noodling around with your ressie?

koh1977: That price difference you quoted AKL vs. CR Dxl is a big deal. And if you are just as psyched for it, then I'd say do AKL this trip for sure. Are you MK people or equal opportunity WDW people? IMO, that makes a big difference in your final appraisal of AKL vs CR, and in your ultimate satisfaction post-vacation.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #1609
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

Candace: I would say that's a Water View room. I think Disney classifies any room which can see even a puddle as Water View. That's definitely no puddle though! Sorry about Captain's Grille. Like Melissa, we really enjoyed it for breakfast... although service was "laid back" when we were there. We were leaving that day so we didn't mind so much. Glad you and lovely I_Heart got to meet! Speaking of...

I_Heart:

Marie: Positive thoughts to you guys, ALWAYS.

Wookie: Do they have photos of the Marketplace menu on the first posts of the BC thread? I think they might. Could check there and see if you spot hot chocolate.

Melissa: How'd the Betty Crockering go yesterday? You are a baking goddess. (You have to say that with a British accent, by the way, like: "Gaah-DESS".)

Dani: Oooooooh, SWEET! I certainly wouldn't mind listening to Smash Mouth as I drink my way around the world.

Sheila and Koh: Hmmm. I may just have to go price out AKL. Ya know, just to check and all.

GG: Thanks for the pool review! That's a relief... the pool thing would be the biggest worry for us but it seems like the pools are quite large at AKL. Although, saying that about all these pool worries, we're actually booked at CR! I have a feeling a little person I know is going to bring up SAB non-stop this trip.

Ginny: I hope you guys weren't affected by the horrible storms.

Jen, Lacey, Magic, DetTigs, Petey, Sue, Christine and the Kookalicious!

~~----------------------~~

I'm kinda at the moment. The house is a "tip" as the ol' hubs would say (though never TO me or he'd get an earful). My parents arrive in a couple of days to help celebrate the kiddo's birthday. I've got to get thinking about her cake. YIKES!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #1610
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Miss - I guess I missed that both your parents were coming! When did that happen? Wasn't your dad not wanting to come???

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1611
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

MIss - thanks for reminding me!! I need to get a cake ordered for DD's birthday!! (She will be 2 and decided on a Minnie Mouse birthday). :-)

I am excited about AKL too even though my TA says savannah view is the only worthwhile view at AKL in his opinion. And we are big MK people, BUT DS really likes all the parks actually. We spent a lot of time doing the Agent P thing at Epcot last year and he wanted to go back to Kali Rapids at AK last year but it didn't work into the schedule at all. And even with SAB, we didn't have much time to enjoy the resort which I keep saying I want to do. Thinking maybe being at AKL would force us to do just that. Especially if I can convince DH to stay an extra night and build in a strictly resort/pool (maybe DTD for dinner) day in between park days. And the buses don't sound like they're any more horrible than the others. :-)

If we add a day, we'd still save $100 staying at AKL and we'd have 7 nights instead of 6.

If we stick with 6 nights, we'd save about $600 staying at AKL.

And who's to say we wouldn't get any pixie dust thrown our way and end up with a savannah view anyway! (Not that I would mind the pool view though)

It really is looking better and better, even with giving up a bigger room (because really, when will we be in the room, especially if we're at the CR?) and within walking distance of the MK...10 minutes is still 10 minutes in the heat and humidity of August. I would much prefer being on an air conditioned bus I think! :-)

Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #1612
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Is Jeanette working/studying/resort changing/tending to sick kiddos?

Linda! I am very late with this, (and in my extended thread absence, probably completely omitting other well wishes, condolences, regrets, advice, etc... to many other RCs) But, I think you did the right thing regarding your mother's cancelation. Going on the trip that weekend without her, knowing her condition, would not have made for an enjoyable weekend. It's no fun mixing in unpredictability with a special birthday vacation and then having to cancel, but you did he right thing under the circumstances.

Yes, my noodle is noodling, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
Good to know! Danimal is very excited to try it out. His list of reasons for staying at CR are:

-First stop on buses
-He loves the arcade and gift shop
-Same resort as Chef Mickey's (we don't even eat there every trip so I have no idea why this is a priority )
-"We always try new resorts so why not try the Contemporary?" (another fallacy )
-Pool looks really cool
-Snack shop at the pool
The WALKWAY! The WALKWAY! Does he know he can walk right over to THE MK?! And, he can take the boat right over to WL and FW - can't do any of that from the Poly

Quote:
OMG!!!

Smash Mouth is going to be playing Eat to the Beat the 28th-30th!!! Danimal LOVES them and is going to be SOOO excited to see them!
Have you told him yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
YC is really beautiful! We love the location, we love our room. The CMs have been wonderful!!! We still feel that WL may be our home, but the YC is wonderful and we would not hesitate to stay here again!!!
I just HAVE to ask - if you could only book Regatta Club or Old Faithful Club for your next trip (assuming prices were the same), which would you choose? Also, have you had any trouble getting a seat in the lounge? Have you heard any of your neighbors while in your room? Thanks!

I think your view might be a Garden View. I thought the Water Views were either facing SAB or facing Crescent Lake? I once booked a GV at YC/CL and they upgraded us to a room facing SAB which I disliked because it was so noisy. I had requested a wedding gazebo view, but I didn't get that and was 'upgraded'. But, we did get a room without a connecting door which I requested.

Quote:
KOOK - I saw you sneak in here somewhere. So do you have something to tell us

Melissa
I'm not very subtle, am I? It's like therapy over here

Well, since you kindly asked and since you were lurking on the WL thread, you know that a split may be in my future - but not this kind

Thought I'd have no problem with 11 nights Atrium Club, but then I had second thoughts about not splitting. Still would love BLT, but still no one bedroom LV available. So I'm torn between WL and YC. We've done both, but DH hasn't tried YC and he loves being near Epcot. But, I know that their lounge is small and I have more fear of the unknown over at YC compared with WL. It's all so familiar over at WL, but, we have been staying there A LOT and a little change might be good. Then there's Candace's comment about WL still being 'her home,' which didn't help me feel more confident about staying at YC/CL.

Calling all RC therapists - any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
and the Kookalicious!

~~----------------------~~

I'm kinda at the moment. The house is a "tip" as the ol' hubs would say (though never TO me or he'd get an earful). My parents arrive in a couple of days to help celebrate the kiddo's birthday. I've got to get thinking about her cake. YIKES!
Well, you know how we all really love Yuck E. Cheeses around here, so why not have your parents meet you there then straight to the hotel they go!? Tip or no tip, they'll never be the wiser
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #1613
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Hey kook WL is my "home" too .... well with a little AK thrown in!!! I can't believe that I won't be there on my Oct/Nov trip! But there will be time there .... lunch at WCC, legal pool hopping, and of course rocking chair time!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #1614
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

KOOK If I had to choose My pick would be WL, WL just feels comfortable, more so than YC

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #1615
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

kook I did tell him and he is muy excited! He also can't wait to stay at CR. It's like a dream trip for him!

I would choose WL. I just don't feel the love for the EPCOT area.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #1616
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Wookie - did you get the answer on the BC/YC thread? We never went to BC marketplace while we were at YC so I have no idea. LOL about Pop Not being on the list I have to say that was the one drawback of YC, lack of CS in the actual resort. I think that is why I love CR so much now.

Koh - I totally agree with you! i told DH that I would like to go back to YC without the kids for F&W. I love the resort and area but you are right I think it's a better location without kids. They were not thrilled with the walk to Epcot, although I love the convenience of the IG.

MAGIC - did you move the July res yet?

KOOK - you always confuse me when you write Linda then what you say doesn't make sense to me and I realize you mean MAGIC I am hopefully going to meet the wonderful Linda/MAGIC this summer As for your split....I see you back at WL, it is your home. You know I love YC but we didn't stay CL there so I can't comment on it. How is DD feeling about this split???

HUGS, Melissa

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #1617
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
In many ways, I loved BC (and DS did too), but I was thinking it was more convenient to Epcot than it really was...therefore, we were doing a lot of running back and forth that was not relaxing in the least...if it were just DH and I and/or during F & W, I would definitely stay there again!

Even though I showed him on a map that it wasn't far, the DH refused to walk to Epcot. He said that we walk enough in the parks, he's not walking to one.

Quote:
Wookie: Do they have photos of the Marketplace menu on the first posts of the BC thread? I think they might. Could check there and see if you spot hot chocolate.
You my lovely are a genius!! I went to the BC/YC thread, and clicked on the link on the first page for the post about dining at the BC/YC. In that post, it had a link to a BC Marketplace photo thread and they had a picture of the hot chocolate machine. I assumed they would have the same set up they had at the Pop Century, but you know what they say about assuming.

Quote:
I hope you have a good, stress-free time with your parents.

Quote:
MIss - thanks for reminding me!! I need to get a cake ordered for DD's birthday!! (She will be 2 and decided on a Minnie Mouse birthday). :-)

I am excited about AKL too even though my TA says savannah view is the only worthwhile view at AKL in his opinion. And we are big MK people, BUT DS really likes all the parks actually. We spent a lot of time doing the Agent P thing at Epcot last year and he wanted to go back to Kali Rapids at AK last year but it didn't work into the schedule at all. And even with SAB, we didn't have much time to enjoy the resort which I keep saying I want to do. Thinking maybe being at AKL would force us to do just that. Especially if I can convince DH to stay an extra night and build in a strictly resort/pool (maybe DTD for dinner) day in between park days. And the buses don't sound like they're any more horrible than the others. :-)

If we add a day, we'd still save $100 staying at AKL and we'd have 7 nights instead of 6.

If we stick with 6 nights, we'd save about $600 staying at AKL.

And who's to say we wouldn't get any pixie dust thrown our way and end up with a savannah view anyway! (Not that I would mind the pool view though)

It really is looking better and better, even with giving up a bigger room (because really, when will we be in the room, especially if we're at the CR?) and within walking distance of the MK...10 minutes is still 10 minutes in the heat and humidity of August. I would much prefer being on an air conditioned bus I think! :-)

With that kind of math, it makes changing so much easier. That is why I don't do any more Disney math. I know we could pay less at a different resort, but the DSs and I are so looking forward to SAB.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #1618
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Hey kook WL is my "home" too .... well with a little AK thrown in!!! I can't believe that I won't be there on my Oct/Nov trip! But there will be time there .... lunch at WCC, legal pool hopping, and of course rocking chair time!
But is this LEGAL rocking chair time?

You are a true Lodge lover and I can't believe you won't be at a Lodge in the Fall - what's up with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
KOOK If I had to choose My pick would be WL, WL just feels comfortable, more so than YC
But you loved BWI, right? Yes, I absolutely know what you mean about WL being extra cozy and comfortable - you're absolutely right

Quote:
kook I did tell him and he is muy excited! He also can't wait to stay at CR. It's like a dream trip for him!

I would choose WL. I just don't feel the love for the EPCOT area.
Oh, I hope the BB works out. And, I know just what you mean about Epcot not feeling as magical. It's so great walking to Epcot and DHS, but there's so much concrete, the resorts are so close together and they don't have any lakes or lagoons in the backyard or enough trees in the front, not to mention no train whistles
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #1619
WDWKOOK

Quote:
:
I do on the BWI thread - probably from the same source - pixarmom!

Quote:

You my lovely are a genius!! I went to the BC/YC thread, and clicked on the link on the first page for the post about dining at the BC/YC. In that post, it had a link to a BC Marketplace photo thread and they had a picture of the hot chocolate machine. I assumed they would have the same set up they had at the Pop Century, but you know what they say about assuming.
She is a lovely genius and I'm glad you found your hot chocolate. It's often the little things, the familiar things that mean a lot to us on vacation

Quote:
KOOK - you always confuse me when you write Linda then what you say doesn't make sense to me and I realize you mean MAGIC I am hopefully going to meet the wonderful Linda/MAGIC this summer As for your split....I see you back at WL, it is your home. You know I love YC but we didn't stay CL there so I can't comment on it. How is DD feeling about this split???

HUGS, Melissa

Sorry about the Lovely Lindas mix-up. I almost met MAGIC on our August trip, but I think we were arriving the day she was leaving and we were on Living with the Land while she was at DHS or was that Janet? I missed both of them that day, I think

DD and I stayed one whole night out of 8 at YC/CL. We were supposed to do an AKL/YC-CL split, but after a day at YC, I missed CR too much. It just didn't feel right 'over there.' So I went into the CR and asked if I could switch to any room and the GM immediately booked us CL and we switched over. DD thought I was slightly nuts - wasn't the first, won't be the last. For this trip, DD would prefer CR the whole time, but DH is happy to split and I think it's like two vacations in one when you split.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #1620
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Miss - I guess I missed that both your parents were coming! When did that happen? Wasn't your dad not wanting to come???
Quote:
I hope you have a good, stress-free time with your parents.
I think me saying to my dad, "I'll just tell Miss M you're not coming" really made him feel like a complete heel. So, now they're both coming. They both agreed to be nice to each other on the ride out; I won't take bets on how long that deal will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Well, you know how we all really love Yuck E. Cheeses around here, so why not have your parents meet you there then straight to the hotel they go!? Tip or no tip, they'll never be the wiser
If they're not on their best behavior, I'm dropping them both off at the local hotel. That's after they both spend a minute for each year of age in the "Time Out" chair.

Quote:
Awwww, I've seen some VERY cute Minnie cake ideas whilst perusing cake pictures for Miss M. Minnie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
The WALKWAY! The WALKWAY! Does he know he can walk right over to THE MK?! And, he can take the boat right over to WL and FW - can't do any of that from the Poly
This has got me to thinking... (can you smell the wood burning all the way out in NoVa?)

What do you ladies think -- in the event of not being able to procure an ADR for California Grill -- about taking the boat over from CR to WL for dinner at Artist's Point? Would Artist's Point be a nice anniversary meal on our first night?

Quote:
I didn't want to swear to it but there's such a wealth of info in that thread, I had a feeling there were menu pics. (You'd think, as many times as I've read through it, I'd know for sure. ) It kinda reminds me of another buncha threads run by a couple ladies we know...
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: